share rss forum feed

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk

join:2000-10-23
Utica, MI
reply to Bobcat79

Re: Utility easement

said by Bobcat79:

What part of "utility easement" don't these folks understand? They should have looked at the deed before they bought the property.
That doesn't give them the right to put any old piece of crap on the easement. There has to be some limit.
--
"I've learned that depression is merely anger without enthusiasm."

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

Ummm... No, sorry.

meinmd

@verizon.com

Ditto..It's a easement....And why its deemed a easement. They can do what they want with it.

I understood that when I built my house...Just as I had to sign over 15 foot of my property for future road widening. Just the way it is.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk

join:2000-10-23
Utica, MI
reply to Bobcat79

So, I could start a 'utility' and install anything in people's yard?? I'm no expert, but I don't think they can put anything on the easement they want. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem reasonable to give a utility this right.

I'd also argue that broadband and television service isn't a utility at all. For phone, electricity, water, and gas I can understand. Actually, pulling a wire isn't a huge deal to me, but the boxes are.

But that's a whole different discussion.
--
"I've learned that depression is merely anger without enthusiasm."

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

well yes. by some people on here you can put anything in the right of way you want as long as you tell the state/county or who ever is running the right-of-way in your area. Ohio its the state. I wonder if i paid Ohio their application fee if they'd let me go around Toledo and start dropping boxes like ATT into neighborhoods?

Millenniumle

join:2007-11-11
Fredonia, NY
reply to burgermeister

It would be nice if they were more restricted. I see ugly old gas meters in the front of every home in some areas. They are several feet back from the road, out in the open producing one hell af an eye sore. I think to myself, what were they thinking?

Sure there are utility easements along most every residential street. They could be managed better. Underground cableing and pipes, sure. Stuctures, boxes, and meters out by the walk are rediculous.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1
reply to hottboiinnc

Re: Utility easement

FYI, there are a lot fewer restrictions as to what can be put on utility easement as opposed to public right of way, i.e. along the street or highway. In fact buildings can be placed on utility easements if there is enough space on the easement, it just depends on how the easement is written and agreed to by the utility and the property owner.

Size of the box has to be compliant with the highway or street jurisdiction. And, for what it is worth, the VRAD placed in my subdivision is much smaller than the original ones placed at the start of U-Verse.

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to burgermeister

said by burgermeister:

So, I could start a 'utility' and install anything in people's yard?? I'm no expert, but I don't think they can put anything on the easement they want.
The telephone company can put telephone equipment there. The cable company can put cable equipment there. It doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing.

The utility wouldn't be able to put something there that wasn't part of their business to provide utility service. e.g., they couldn't put an oil well there.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

Ummm... No, sorry.
Your wrong. It was 2 feet over the property line!!!

Tzale
Premium
NYC Metro
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

said by burgermeister:

So, I could start a 'utility' and install anything in people's yard?? I'm no expert, but I don't think they can put anything on the easement they want.
The telephone company can put telephone equipment there. The cable company can put cable equipment there. It doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing.

The utility wouldn't be able to put something there that wasn't part of their business to provide utility service. e.g., they couldn't put an oil well there.
And the local town can argue that the boxes are ugly and request / demand that the company change their installation methods.

No broadband is worth a $10-30k loss in property values...

-Tzale
--
Neoconservatives (G.W.B) are not true conservatives. A conservative believes in defending the Constitution. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - RON PAUL 2008 »www.usconstitution.net/const.html

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40
reply to burgermeister

said by burgermeister:

said by Bobcat79:

What part of "utility easement" don't these folks understand? They should have looked at the deed before they bought the property.
That doesn't give them the right to put any old piece of crap on the easement. There has to be some limit.
If they can put a nice large telephone pole on my property, they can put a box on yours. For the short time I was a service tech I had to fight my way through the bushes people planted to hide our boxes. I'm sure many of these boxes can be like wise hidden.
--
RIP my baby Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07 Buttons, Buttons video

rahvin112

join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT
reply to burgermeister

You are wrong. If there is a utility easement that is specified as generic then any utility can use it. More than likely it's specified as an easement for ATT. They can put anything in the easement they want as they essentially own the ground.

Now according to the article they built 2' outside the easement, that's a different story all together.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to tim_k

said by tim_k:

said by burgermeister:

said by Bobcat79:

If they can put a nice large telephone pole on my property, they can put a box on yours. For the short time I was a service tech I had to fight my way through the bushes people planted to hide our boxes. I'm sure many of these boxes can be like wise hidden.
Not with that huge concrete wall around it.

My local ILEC hid all their BPON fiber equipment in a fenced in enclosure. It's a very nice, wooden enclosure, open to the street, but in between two subdivisions. It was thought out pretty well and looks good.

My guess is AT&T doesn't care about the aesthetics and just places it where they have an easement that is close enough to the optimal point.

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to Tzale

said by Tzale:

said by Bobcat79:

Ummm... No, sorry.
And they fixed that. It not the first time a utility made a mistake, and it won't be the last time.

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to Tzale

said by Tzale:

The owner should have thought of that before buying the property.

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

Incorrect. Every house in a subdivision with front easements has a front easement. No way to avoid it without black listing entire neighborhoods. And they are only going to target a hand full of houses, so the risks are low. In the end they shouldn't be playing Russian roulette with people's houses. And just put this crap in the back.

Tzale
Premium
NYC Metro
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

said by Tzale:

The owner should have thought of that before buying the property.
Good luck finding a home without any easements... At least here in NJ, as you probably know, it is nearly impossible..

-Tzale
--
Neoconservatives (G.W.B) are not true conservatives. A conservative believes in defending the Constitution. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - RON PAUL 2008 »www.usconstitution.net/const.html

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

said by Tzale:

said by Bobcat79:

Ummm... No, sorry.
And they fixed that. It not the first time a utility made a mistake, and it won't be the last time.
No they didn't.
"Gordon said the company did not plan any additional compensation other than filling the portion of her hillside mistakenly dug up and replanting vegetation. AT&T still plans to install one or two service boxes at the location."

That is far from fixed. They actually removed 2 feet of the front yard outside the easement.
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher

Bobcat79
Premium

said by marigolds:

No they didn't.
"Gordon said the company did not plan any additional compensation other than filling the portion of her hillside mistakenly dug up and replanting vegetation. AT&T still plans to install one or two service boxes at the location."

That is far from fixed. They actually removed 2 feet of the front yard outside the easement.
What part of "filling the portion of her hillside mistakenly dug up and replanting vegetation" don't you understand?

marigolds
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO

said by Bobcat79:

said by marigolds:

No they didn't.

What part of "filling the portion of her hillside mistakenly dug up and replanting vegetation" don't you understand?
I understand that she lost the vegetation that was there until the current vegetation grows back, that the integrity of the hill in rains is now ruined for good, and that the filled section in the very front of her house will look completely different from the rest for a good 20-30 years given the area where she lives.
Hence why I said "far from fixed".
--
Professional Geographer

Bobcat79
Premium

marigolds
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO

Put it another way... that's a region where the hills are mostly decomposed granite caps. You want to claim that the fill put in had the same hydrologic and geologic qualities as decomposed granite?
That AT&T actually went to the cost necessary to really make the damages whole again? Because if they did not, and they did not compensate the difference (and the article says no compensation was paid), then it is not fixed.
--
Professional Geographer

Bobcat79
Premium

Since neither of us are there, neither of us knows.