Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to Riplin

Premium Member

to Riplin

Re: who cares what they look like

said by Riplin:

Yes I am an owner and I would take one of those boxes but like I said it would have to benefit me.
People on this site are generally geeks... But I'm also a geek that likes companies to FOLLOW the law and not place THEIR equipment illegally on my property and also for them to take all steps necessary not to LOWER my property value!!!

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

jester121

Premium Member

So geek on over to a real estate law site and read up on utility easements. These companies aren't breaking the law; homeowners are generally idiots and don't realize what is and is not allowed according to zoning, easement, and other local regulations.

The homeowners in question should have armed themselves with knowledge of what easements existed on their property when they purchased it.

fiber_man
Things Happen For A Reason
Premium Member
join:2001-01-27
Port Saint Lucie, FL

fiber_man to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
I hope for your sake your property has no utility easements on it. Most around here have at least one on it if not more. I found out that my property has a 20 foot easement off the back property line for maintenance of a drainage ditch. The city has a 25' ROW on the front which is where the poles are placed. I have no say what so ever about the ROW. If you want services from power,gas,water,telephone, and cable then they have to have permission from you or the developer for easements on your property. I have seen so many people buy houses in a new development without driving to see the lot and/or look at the site plans. Then they bitch and moan about a power transformer and/or a telephone or cable box that is placed in the yard. When the developers force all the utilities in a 10' easement there is not much the utilities can do.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

said by fiber_man:

I hope for your sake your property has no utility easements on it. Most around here have at least one on it if not more. I found out that my property has a 20 foot easement off the back property line for maintenance of a drainage ditch. The city has a 25' ROW on the front which is where the poles are placed. I have no say what so ever about the ROW. If you want services from power,gas,water,telephone, and cable then they have to have permission from you or the developer for easements on your property. I have seen so many people buy houses in a new development without driving to see the lot and/or look at the site plans. Then they bitch and moan about a power transformer and/or a telephone or cable box that is placed in the yard. When the developers force all the utilities in a 10' easement there is not much the utilities can do.
I'm not arguing that they don't have a right to place that box there... But they should be more considerate if they want to do business in people's neighborhoods and expect them to fork over their hard earned cash.

-Tzale

fiber_man
Things Happen For A Reason
Premium Member
join:2001-01-27
Port Saint Lucie, FL

fiber_man

Premium Member

Again it is not always up to the homeowner. The utilities have to deal with the cities,counties, and sometime even the state on where these cabinets,transformers are placed. Down here people wanted the power companies to place all of the overhead lines in the ground [because of hurricanes] not realizing that transformers had to go somewhere. Guess what?
All of the utilities have to come down if they want the poles out. That means a lot of digging and placement of cabinets,pedestals,ect.. Several cities are also paying for part of the cost to bring down the lines. I agree it looks nicer that all of the overhead lines but people have to accept the fact that this things are placed to provide services to them.
The engineers around here are using the 50' easements along the drainage ditches to place most of the cabinets but I know of several that are in people's back or side yard. They have moved several X-boxes out of some front yards to the cabinets in easements. People have to deal with a mess for a little while but it looks better in the end.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

said by fiber_man:

Again it is not always up to the homeowner. The utilities have to deal with the cities,counties, and sometime even the state on where these cabinets,transformers are placed. Down here people wanted the power companies to place all of the overhead lines in the ground [because of hurricanes] not realizing that transformers had to go somewhere. Guess what?
All of the utilities have to come down if they want the poles out. That means a lot of digging and placement of cabinets,pedestals,ect.. Several cities are also paying for part of the cost to bring down the lines. I agree it looks nicer that all of the overhead lines but people have to accept the fact that this things are placed to provide services to them.
The engineers around here are using the 50' easements along the drainage ditches to place most of the cabinets but I know of several that are in people's back or side yard. They have moved several X-boxes out of some front yards to the cabinets in easements. People have to deal with a mess for a little while but it looks better in the end.
Yea, well I'm not arguing about their legal right of way and the fact that from an engineering perspective, the boxes NEED to be somewhere... I am just saying that people shouldn't always be so quick to defend companies... Oftentimes, when installing service to millions of people, they just place those boxes wherever the plant engineers tell them to place them, with no consideration to aesthetics.. If they spent a LITTLE time on aesthetics, both parties would probably be much happier... People DO have a RIGHT IMHO to expect to have a nice looking neighborhood. It isn't a LEGAL right, but it is something to be expected. Property taxes in my town are around $7-15,000/year, thank God the town tries to keep this place from looking like your typical dirty Jersey town..

-Tzale

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to jester121

MVM

to jester121
said by jester121:

So geek on over to a real estate law site and read up on utility easements. These companies aren't breaking the law; homeowners are generally idiots and don't realize what is and is not allowed according to zoning, easement, and other local regulations.
RTA.
They placed the box outside the easement.