This is a sub-selection from I want 100/100

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL
reply to Tzale

Re: I want 100/100

Huh? It's completely worth it.

I would be far, far less inclined to buy a property if the best I could get (without modifications) was either satellite or dial-up Internet.

I remember how slow dial-up is. Sometimes I still know, because of my back-up dial-up connection.

Go back to dial-up or even ISDN as my primary connection? No way! I don't want to wait days just to download the latest service pack. That and I sure do love running servers.

So let's see, the choices are:

A) Use dial-up. To download the latest Fedora Core 8 DVD image (which is 3.18GB) would take close to a week, if you run the dial-up 24/7.

OR

B) Live with a large box nearby, but download the same DVD image in less than 18 minutes (assuming 25Mbps download).

Wow...what a tough decision.

EPS4

join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the boxes are just for U-Verse... so the situation is more like A) Dial-up B) Existing DSL for up to 6Mbps/768kbps (I think this is the fastest at&t DSL speed, not sure) or maybe Cable or C) Big Box in yard for up to 10Mbps/1Mbps, which is kind of a different situation...

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro
reply to Ben

said by Ben:

Huh? It's completely worth it.

I would be far, far less inclined to buy a property if the best I could get (without modifications) was either satellite or dial-up Internet.

I remember how slow dial-up is. Sometimes I still know, because of my back-up dial-up connection.

Go back to dial-up or even ISDN as my primary connection? No way! I don't want to wait days just to download the latest service pack. That and I sure do love running servers.

A) Use dial-up. To download the latest Fedora Core 8 DVD image (which is 3.18GB) would take close to a week, if you run the dial-up 24/7.

OR

B) Live with a large box nearby, but download the same DVD image in less than 18 minutes (assuming 25Mbps download).

Wow...what a tough decision.
And you're reducing it to an extreme case.... Most places NOW have access to multiple forms of broadband... And MOST people don't think having an EYESORE in their front yard is worth it when it would make MORE business sense to have it placed somewhere more discreet... Legally, they have every right to place it there, and broadband DOES increase property values for people who WANT broadband, but a big box REALLY does hurt property values when it is sitting, rusted and not maintained 10 years later when you're trying to sell your home..

-Tzale
--
Neoconservatives (G.W.B) are not true conservatives. A conservative believes in defending the Constitution. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - RON PAUL 2008 »www.usconstitution.net/const.html

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
reply to Ben

said by Ben:

OR

The boxes provide TV service, not broadband internet.
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher

a333
A hot cup of integrals please

join:2007-06-12
Rego Park, NY

read the article again. It states that AT&T's boxes provide TV and internet service.

skrupowies

join:2002-08-22
Bristol, CT
reply to EPS4

said by EPS4:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the boxes are just for U-Verse...

You're wrong. The VRAD's provide both U-verse and high speed internet. If you were a DSL customer prior to U-verse (either from the CO directly or from some electronics) your line gets shifted to the VRAD for internet. In general your actual service improves some because the overhead is less (practically nonexistent) for VRAD based internet as compared to ADSL with PPPOE.