my 2001 Chevy Impala instructions say to add 50% / 50%

coolant and water

I wonder why?

Is it OK if I use only the coolant?

cowspotter

join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA
kudos:2
I believe the reasoning is that water transfers heat better than coolant. The coolant is there to lower the freezing point and raise the boiling point of the liquid and to prevent internal corrosion of the cooling system. Straight coolant would have superior anti-corrosion and a wider operating temperature range but would not remove heat from the engine like you need it to.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to inGearX
said by inGearX:

coolant and water

You quoted this from your owner's manual. Not to be smart, but why would you ask to do otherwise? They do put it in there for a reason.

It is absolutely NOT going to work properly to run 100% antifreeze in ANY situation. It is too thick, it will not flow properly, and will not properly pick up and transfer heat without water added in the proper mix.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 edit
reply to inGearX
I would not use tap water.

Use distilled water. It will cost you like $2-3 bucks from the grocery store or a Walgreens.
You definately need to follow the manual and use a 50/50 mix.
--
»www.ryanoneill.us

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state
kudos:1
reply to inGearX
Dont they sell coolant thats already premixed and ready to go from the bottle?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit
said by dispatcher21:

Yes, but that is marked as a "ready to use" or "pre-mix" instead of coolant which is not a pre-mix, but a concentrate. Coolant/Antifreeze comes with a Mix Chart on the bottle for customer use. Using all concentrate is not good, just as not using enough concentrate is not good.

All you should need to know is below.

Making Sense of Percent Concentrations
Don't Freeze the Engine
»illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDet···?ID=L649

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

THUD300
Part Of A Complete Breakfast
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Decatur, IL

1 edit
reply to inGearX
Straight coolant freezes at around +8 degrees F. Adding water up to 50% actually lowers the freeze point.

Not sure about the effect on boiling point.

»www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF6/680.html
--
Your actual mileage may vary. Operators are standing by.

jpg366

join:2004-04-09
Humble, TX
Water gives the best heat transfer, but freezes, boils and is somewhat corrosive. A glycol plus anti-corrosion additives make these less of an issue, at the cost of some reduced heat transfer capability. Ethylene glycol is the most common, but is very toxic to animals. Proplyene glycol is increasingly used, as it is less toxic (but not non-toxic). Alcohols can work on the freezing issue, but generally make it worse on boiling, worsen heat transfer vs water, and also have the problem of flammability. Not a good idea.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to dispatcher21
said by dispatcher21:

Yes!
This is becoming increasingly common, especially with super long life coolant.

The minerals and ions in most water reduce the service life of the coolant, so super long life coolant typically comes premixed with special deionized water.
As mentioned, this should be clearly indicated on the bottle.

inGearX
3.1415 9265

join:2000-06-11
New York
reply to mattmag
said by mattmag:

said by inGearX:

coolant and water

You quoted this from your owner's manual. Not to be smart, but why would you ask to do otherwise? They do put it in there for a reason.

It is absolutely NOT going to work properly to run 100% antifreeze in ANY situation. It is too thick, it will not flow properly, and will not properly pick up and transfer heat without water added in the proper mix.
right

because a family member took the car to the mechanic and he just filled the coolant tank up with the coolant

#1 without any water

#2 way above the suggested ~25% level mark at cold - he filled it up to about 50%

I'll need to fix that once I come by...

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to inGearX
There is a very good chance that he already had some in a jug/bottle premixed.

If he overfilled it, I am guessing it was on purpose. The system will burp out air the first few times it warms then cools.

Filling the overflow tank to 50% of capacity is generally not a major issue.

What needs to be done is to find the coolant leak.

What kind of coolant, what concentration, and to what level are basically insignificant concerns if the system has leaks or other problems that cause a (not clearly specified) warning light to come on.
--
Overheard: "I could careless matter of Fact"