nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Gurgling Refrigerator

This is a GE Side by Side Refrigerator, model # GSS25KGSA with in-door water and ice

When closing only the freezer door, about 2 seconds after it closes completely, a loud gurgling sound lasing about 5 seconds comes from the unit. It does it every time the door is opened then closed. The sound is best described as pouring water down a drain pipe mixed with a coffee maker trying to suck up the last of the water. It is emitting from the rear at the bottom on the freezer side. This is not the same as the standard noises the fridge makes during normal operation.

I've tried running the in-door water while it is making the noise and it doesn't go away. I think the noise is related to the ice maker, but I'm not totally sure.

I'm not sure how long this has been occurring. This is a refrigerator in a rental unit that we just moved into. The refrigerator was powered down when we arrived and I turned it on when we moved in. I am waiting for a replacement water filter to see if that helps.

Any other ideas are appreciated.
--
This Space for Rent...

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

You have air in your line. You mentioned rental? Do you have access to the main shutoff? If you do, Shut it off and open all water supplies and flush all toilets. Then turn the main back on... You'll most likely have some discoloration at first which is normal. Some plumbers recommend that you remove all screens from faucets, shower heads, etc. before doing so to avoid a possible clog.

Replace filter in refrigerator and run a few pitchers full of water through the dispenser and throw away the first full batch of ice(gallon size)

If you own this dwelling, Flushing the hot water heater is recommended.
--
Prevent Malware

Bornloser

join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

reply to nightdesigns

If it is happening only when you close the freezer door, what you are hearing is nothing more than air being forced thru the drain tube. This is a tube located in the freezer and carries the defrost water to the drain pan near the compressor where the water evaporates. It's nothing! Some manufacturers have what is called a "duck bill" type of valve that can be put over the end of the tube to prevent the annoyance. Again, it's nothing.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ

Thanks! I figured it was nothing, but I also didn't want a mold/mildew fest growing somewhere in the water lines.
--
This Space for Rent...