share rss forum feed

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1
reply to probboy

Re: Time Warners claim is 100% accurate.....

said by probboy:

For 99.999% of the population, it doesn't really matter where the fiber terminates, be it at the house or at the node. All people care about what services are offered at what price.
\
then why would TW go to the extent to claim they have fiber if only 99.999999% of users dont care?

I see what you are saying, but it's nothing but bullshit when TW is trying to compare themselves to FIOS.
--
Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

1 edit
said by hopeflicker:

said by probboy:

For 99.999% of the population, it doesn't really matter where the fiber terminates, be it at the house or at the node. All people care about what services are offered at what price.
\
then why would TW go to the extent to claim they have fiber if only 99.999999% of users dont care?

I see what you are saying, but it's nothing but bullshit when TW is trying to compare themselves to FIOS.
You don't understand basic marketing tactics do you? TW's ad is a direct result of FIOS ads which are designed to tell the public "fiber is better". Sadly the majority of consumers in this country are not knowledgeable on most tech subjects and believe whatever they are told.

If FIOS didn't have ads touting fiber as the godsend of the internet then TW wouldn't have to tout the fact that their network contains more of this magical substance in their commercials.

It's not bullshit at all. TW's network contains more fiber. It's a 100% factual statement.
--
Forum Posts:7500

Answer Guy

join:2006-07-28
Grass Lake, MI
Maybe I'm being to obvious with this statment. Perhaps you can show us some information on how you arrived at a conclusion that TW has more fiber than Verizon. You do realize that TW is not in the same league when it comes to fiber route miles when going against Verizon and AT&T.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
reply to Qumahlin
said by Qumahlin:

TW's ad is a direct result of FIOS ads which are designed to tell the public "fiber is better". Sadly the majority of consumers in this country are not knowledgeable on most tech subjects and believe whatever they are told.
Fiber is better. I've had Fios for a couple of years in one of my homes at the 15mb/2mb tier and trust me - it's faster than TW Cable ANY day. You could seriously run a production server off that thing. (we don't...)

The only cable broadband to even get close to the speed and reliability I got from Fios is RCN Cable up in NYC. Those guys rock. As far as TW Cable? they're the worst cable company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with when it comes to performance - their service crawls. Only Comcast can compete with them for the prestigious spot of #1 sucky ISP.

Seriously though, Verizon totally sucks when it comes to billing, and probably a lot of other aspects too.. but when it comes to delivering fast internet service I have nothing but good things to say. Also- you can be sure that when the guys up at TW decide to start capping high usage users, Verizon will be there to scoop the customers up!

Did I mention I hate Verizon's billing department yet??
--
Nitzan Kon, CEO
Future Nine Corporation

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI

1 edit
reply to hopeflicker
said by hopeflicker:

said by probboy:

\

Another VZ fanboy/troll .. Ok sorry.. But VZ's deployment of FIOS is isn't something to brage about. Ok, it's in Podoke NJ or another market that has been and still is mostly VZ. They could spend 20 billion and still scratch the market. WHY? Because they don't have the balls to see it through (sounds like Sprint). In my area, I have Comcast, WOW and AT&T offering cable/internet service. Thinkt he fastest is 10mbps but doesn't really matter. If I want TRUE digital HD tv, I'll go get a dish and slap in on my roof. If I want fast internet.. for some of us who have been living in the 4-8mbps range, 15 sounds good but since it's from VZ.. I'll pass and live with my comcrap service that makes me happy so far. Yes that's right. I'm not a VZ fan. Wireless, LL or cable/HSI.. I've worked with MANY VZ co techs in the past so based on how they do buisness, the company just isn't worth the time of day. JMO..

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA
reply to Qumahlin
said by Qumahlin:

said by hopeflicker:

said by probboy:

\

You don't understand basic marketing tactics do you? TW's ad is a direct result of FIOS ads which are designed to tell the public "fiber is better". Sadly the majority of consumers in this country are not knowledgeable on most tech subjects and believe whatever they are told.

If FIOS didn't have ads touting fiber as the godsend of the internet then TW wouldn't have to tout the fact that their network contains more of this magical substance in their commercials.

It's not bullshit at all. TW's network contains more fiber. It's a 100% factual statement.
no, it's your typical misleading marketing bullshit. TW is comparing their fiber to Verizon. They are basically saying "hey, look! we have fiber too. Sign up today"

nothing but misleading BS!
--
Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people.

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium
join:2007-01-20
reply to Qumahlin
But not an inch of it goes right to someone's house.
--
Read your contract and TOS before signing anything.

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium
join:2007-01-20
reply to tc1uscg
You apparently haven't experienced the joys of weather-related satellite service interruptions...
--
Read your contract and TOS before signing anything.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to nitzan
said by nitzan:

The only cable broadband to even get close to the speed and reliability I got from Fios is RCN Cable up in NYC. Those guys rock. As far as TW Cable? they're the worst cable company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with when it comes to performance - their service crawls. Only Comcast can compete with them for the prestigious spot of #1 sucky ISP.
RCN is better because they have a higher node density/less people on each node. Their network was HFC from day 1. Not retrofitted like TWC. Also RCN built their network as a Metro Ethernet provider with the expectation of being able to be a business grade last mile provider. If I can Verizon I would have bought RCN, rebranded, and slowly upgraded to a PON architecture. RCN has lots of spare fiber, I see Toilet Paper roll thick fiber on poles in NYC.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI
reply to Technogeez
No, I haven't.. but there are 2 on top of homes right next door to me. The one guy has his on his 1st level roof, said he had some "jitters" during a windy storm (lots of trees that could have caused this). The other guy, had it for 3 years said he's never had anything go wrong except when his tuner failed. I'm sure that short of a flock of 747's flying over or some squirrel parking is big fat butt in front of the LNB device, signal dropouts seem to be few if not far far between. Heck, I'm sure it's more reliable then my VoIP service I had with plutorocket (aka sunrocket).