Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Ads are way off

While I can't say Verizon's ads are 100% truthful, I know the cable company ads are way off. There's one that Comcast is running now, which annoys the hell out of me. It shows a one "glowing" guy (a play off of FIOS's ad) running up to his neighbor touting how he's getting FIOS installed so he can get a fiber connection. The neighbor claims he gets the best TV, Internet and phone service from Comcast via a "fiber network". The first guy then tells Verizon to "stop digging".

This is ridiculous. While Comcast technically has more miles of fiber cable than Verizon, it's because Comcast is offered in a lot more places than FIOS, not because Comcast has a better network. FIOS's fiber runs to the home and beats Comcast with respect to performance and quality for the same price or cheaper than Comcast.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

jerryjam

@cox.net
Cable = shared network on coax

Artec

join:2003-02-23
Middletown, NJ

1 edit
reply to Morac
Can you seriously tell me that comcast has more miles of Fiber laid that verzion? Is Comcast a Tier 1 Backbone Nope tier 2 nope..

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_car ··· _carrier

Oh and btw thats on Fiber not copper. And such their traffic does run over AT&T and other carriers since they are not a backbone provider, Hell a comcast rep once told me they run off the NASA backbone ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!
So please get your facts strait before you post. Why dont you look up how much fiber verizon has run... Oh and BTW Verzion owns UNNET..Remember them?

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
Just because Verizon is a Tier 1 provider doesn't necessarily mean they have more miles of Fiber. It requires more fiber to wire an entire state, then it does to run a few lines between a handful of major cities. Not only that, but Verizon didn't even run the lines themselves, they simply bought UUNet when MCI collapsed.

Comcast wired nearly the entire state of NJ with fiber about 10 years ago. They've done the same with every area that they service. What they didn't wire is the last mile or so to the home. If Comcast had bothered to wire the last mile to the homes when they did their upgrade years ago, they would be the undisputed champion of service. They didn't since coax can carry more data than copper and they figured no one would ever wire fiber to homes since it is so expensive. Verizon proved them wrong.

The problem with Verizon is that they cherry pick the areas they wire. For example Verizon ran fiber wires right passed my development, but never bothered to wire my development so I'm in a stones throw from FIOS, but can't get it.

Also Comcast does have a fairly substantial network. I have to travel at least 6 hops to get out to the Internet and Comcast hooks directly to Level 3 and Global Crossing, both Tier 1 providers.

--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

CEDog

@comcast.net
reply to Artec
I'd wager that Comcast does have more miles of fiber than Verizon for the same reasons explained in the FTTN note below. Comcast also has a private facilities-based National Backbone, one of the largest in North America in fact, and could easily be a Tier1 if they had a business case for it. Things have changed since you spoke to your NASA rep.

UUnettech

@verizon.net
No way Comcast has more fiber in ground in terms of miles. Verizon has national/international backbone. With the aquistion of MCI is not even close now.

UUnettech

@verizon.net
reply to CEDog
No way Comcast has more fiber in ground in terms of miles. Verizon has national/international backbone. With the aquisition of MCI is not even close now.

Artec

Middletown, NJ
reply to Morac
Again you are incorrect, when I worked for comcast, there was only fiber run between the headends, again your prolly paid by the cable company so you stick up for them. Again show me proof that comcast has more fiber than verizon and I will pay you 50 bucks.

Artec

Middletown, NJ
reply to Morac
Again you are incorrect, when I worked for comcast, there was only fiber run between the headends, again your prolly paid by the cable company so you stick up for them. Again show me proof that comcast has more fiber than verizon and I will pay you 50 bucks.

Oh wait I think verizon is part of taht new 9000 mile long fiber between China and the US mainland

Artec

Middletown, NJ
reply to Morac

Oh wait I think verizon is part of that new 9000 mile long fiber between China and the US mainland

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Artec
said by Artec:

I'm sorry that you can't even read my posts correctly. If you read my original post I was actually bashing Comcast for lying in their ad so why would I be getting paid by them? The only bad thing I've said about Verizon is that they skipped over my neighborhood when deploying FIOS. Also posting the same thing 3 times doesn't make it any more correct.

If you compare the amount of fiber laid down for Comcast's TV/Internet service and the amount laid down for FIOS, Comcast will most likely have laid down more fiber.

I agree with CEDog, Comcast could probably be a Tier 1 provider if they wanted to be. They are the nation's largest broadband provider and all their customers are connected via their own private national backbone. They only use Tier 1 peering services to connect to non-Comcast customers. Especially once they finish upgrading it.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to Artec
said by Artec:

So please get your facts strait before you post. Why dont you look up how much fiber verizon has run... Oh and BTW Verzion owns UNNET..Remember them?
Remember Verizon doesn't pay ANY traffic costs for anything coming from FIOS Internet. They own UUNET, they get paid to have bandwidth.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to UUnettech
Sigh, what is the definition of Fiber? trunk lines regardless of strand count? ROW filled with atleast 1 strand? Do you count 2 FO trunks in 2 conduits in the same ROW as 1 "unit of more" or as 2 "units of more"? Or are we looking at "per gigabits per mile"? Does DWDM count make 1 strand into 50? What about redundant routes? What about leasing of fiber? long term or short term?

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
reply to Morac
If fiber isn't in your home you don't have fiber. End of B.S.