spc
Search similar:

uniqs

badcrc
@wavecable.com

badcrc

Anon

Need 1.93 firmware for SMC 7004BR

Most of the links on this forum to old firmwares are broken and I'm trying to upgrade my router to the 1.96h3 firmware. Someone in the thread below mentioned if you downgrade to 1.93s (or other 1.93) you can put on any other firmware without crash recovery and all that jazz. If that doesn't work, I'll need 1.95j as an intermediate step, but the links for that don't work either.

Could someone send/post the 1.93 (preferably 1.93s) and 1.95j mentioned in the thread below? I found the AMIT 1.96h3 but you can't upgrade to it until the 7004BR shows Winnie in the R-data. Mine shows SMC001.

»Firmware 1.96h3 for AMIT HiP-400E / SMC 7004BR
badcrc0
join:2002-03-22
Bremerton, WA

badcrc0

7004BR_Firmwares.zip
4,649,372 bytes
Well no one helped me out but after hours of frustration and various errors with many different firmware versions I finally got my router updated with the following method:

1) Tracked down SMC firmware 1.93p and hex edited BR193P.BIN at address 00004008H to read Winnie instead of SMC001 (that changes the R-Data to Winnie after you update with that bin).

2) Turned 7004BR off, shorted pins 3 and 8 with a screwdriver, turned it on and held it until orange light M1 flashed rapidly (crash recovery mode).

3) At a command prompt in XP in the 1.93p firmware directory I typed:
tftp -i 192.168.123.254 put br193p.bin
This uploads the hex edited firmware.

4) At this point you can probably go to Eusso 1.95J (ANA195J.EXE) using crash recovery, but I did crash recovery and went to Amit 1.94A (ANB194A.EXE), then crash recovery to go to 1.95J.

5) I was then able to go to 1.96h3 by running 196h3.exe.

Since no one is around anymore I've read virtually every post on this forum about going to 1.96h3 and I've found out the following:

1) You can do crash recovery and resetting and firmware updates till the cows come home, but you'll never get to 1.96h3 until your router sysinfo (192.168.123.254/sysinfo.htm) R-data shows "Winnie" instead of SMC001.

2) The people saying they did this and that and it worked with X number of barricades must have had Winnie in their R-data field all along. How it got there I can only guess must have been from an old firmware that actually changed R-data to Winnie. I just tried about a dozen different firmware versions on my barricade and not ONE of them put Winnie into the R-data field no matter how I updated the firmware (and I tried TFTP, EXE, and .BIN web update).

3) Many people couldn't update to 1.96h3 and had the same problem as I did...I assume that's because their R-Data was like mine and wouldn't change from SMC001. My method works for sure because you're forcing it to Winnie.

I'm including an attachment with all the firmwares that took me weeks to locate and what is needed for the above procedure. Included in the zip are Amit 1.94A and 1.95J, Eusso 1.93S and 1.95J and 1.96H3, SMC 1.93P (hex edited Winnie and original), and SMC 1.96H2.
slumpack
join:2004-02-25
San Francisco, CA

3 edits

slumpack to badcrc

to badcrc
Thanks badcrc0, your steps and firmware works on my 3com 3c510 also.

I just want to clarify a little bit for other ppl regarding step# 2 & 3

Some ppl that never use DOS might be confuse with tftp and where they have to put the file, my suggestion would be to download TFTPD32 from »tftpd32.jounin.net/

after the Orange light (M1) flash rapidly, DO NOT TURN OFF THE ROUTER, NOW go to your PC

Open up TFTPD32 and click on the tab tftp client:
- Host: put IP of the ROUTER (192.168.123.254 - SMC or 192.168.2.1 - 3com)

- Local File: put the edited BR193P.BIN -- click on the small button on the right and locate the file.

- Leave other field the way it is.
- Click Put button wait till it give pop up message that it says successful.

Follow the rest of badcrc0 instruction
PS: you could just run the update .exe directly without having to do the crash recovery again (ie. the 3 and 8 pin thing)
badcrc0
join:2002-03-22
Bremerton, WA

badcrc0

Thanks for the verification slumpack. I also wanted to add that one of the reasons I wanted the new firmware was to increase my WAN throughput. I was topping off at about 4.5mbit when my ISP actually has 8mbit. After the 1.96h3 firmware update I'm almost getting 7mbit.
systems2000
What? You Say It's Fixed. Hah
join:2001-11-29
Cyberspace

systems2000

I also noted that I was having issues with my Barricade on a Comcast connection, after they went from 3.0 MB to 6.0MB. The 6.0 MB connection was also constantly locking up the Barricade to the point where I would have to do a soft reset weekly.

Personally, I was very happy with the 3.0 MB connection. I'm no longer with Comcast due to their Blackmailing and the lousy CATV service and excessive costs.

Does this work with the 7004ABR units also?

badcrc
@wavecable.com

badcrc

Anon

said by systems2000:

Does this work with the 7004ABR units also?
I couldn't say. If any of those firmwares work on the ABR then the procedure should work. Read the thread I referenced in my original post, I think someone mentioned the compatible routers.