Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kamal9

join:2008-04-11
Toronto, ON

How long does it take to activate?

Hello Guys,

I been reader of this forum for long time thats how I end up choosing Teksavvy based on the reviews.

I've signed up on April 7, 2008 for premium dsl + static ip and I got an order confirmation email next day from support@teksavvy.com and it stated my activation date is today 11/04/2008 8AM-12AM so far my DSL light hasn't come on speed touch 516. I tried email support@teksavvy.com haven't got replied so i called customer service around 12PM she confirmed that it has been assigned and there is no rejection or any type and would be activated by 12AM else call tomorow to open ticket.

Now i can see that sweet BELL taking their own time, has anyone faced any problems, this is not dry loop and the phone line is with bell so its matter of provisioning the line for DSL thats all.

Now if they dont activate today, weekends i am sure it wouldn't happen and my billing date was set to 6 of each month which i am ok if they activate on time.

I am forced to move to teksavvy due to Rogers new bandwidth policy.

Maybe i am worried too much?

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Sometimes Bell messes it up, it's unfortunate but there's little that can be done. Once your activation date has passed TekSavvy can tell Bell they screwed up and they'll fix it. If it just slipped through the cracks it'll only be a day or two. Some people have had major issues where the lines are mapped wrong, and Bell activates DSL for the wrong house. That can take a week or two to get sorted out, but it's also pretty rare.

kamal9

Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to kamal9

i've received an email from teksavvy around 11:21PM April 11/2008 mentioning my activation has been postponed to monday by bell:o bell didnt send any information to TSI regarding rather they finding out by customers calling in. mentioned that they will adjust my billing date. Here we go, waiting game continues...

Scoop18

join:2006-08-05
Ottawa, ON
reply to kamal9

I had the same issue. I was supposed to be activated on a Friday but due to Bell issues it was only done the following Monday. It was worth the wait though. Luckily I hadn't canceled my cable internet at that point. It's always best to overlap the two just for this type of situation.

kamal9

Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to kamal9

Click for full size
DMT-Speedtouch516v6
I am finally online. it was activated 8hrs ago , here is my stats, let me know if anything can be improved

btw does teksavvy allow reverse dns if you have static ip with them? i would love to set one up with them.

Gokuu

join:2001-08-27

You are a remote and are sync'ed at 5/800 profile. Unfortunately you can't get any more for now. Limited to 5/800 service.

Post in the direct forum re your reverse DNS, and they will set you up.

kamal9

Toronto, ON
reply to kamal9

thanks btw what you mean remote? i live in a condo where bell offer tv through phone lines is it due to that?

emoci

join:2007-05-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

Well your line looks amazing, and it is connected to a Remote (INKS remote) rather than directly to the CO (which is good, cause it means a stronger line connection due to shorter distance)

The only thing that didn't happen was for Bell to mess up and put you on a 6 MB profile (it's a pretty neat deal when they do )

Expect real life speeds of 4300/680 (or slightly better considering your line)...

Also if higher speeds become available your line should have no problem supporting them...

kamal9

Toronto, ON
reply to kamal9

cant i request for 6mb profile?

Taylortbb
Premium
Kitchener, ON

said by kamal9:

cant i request for 6mb profile?
If you could, a lot of people here would have one. Unfortunately the only way to get one is for Bell to accidentally put you on one.

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Earth
reply to kamal9

The funny thing is Bells own advertising of GAS to 3rd parties says 6mbit is allowed for customers.
--
»www.freeourbandwidth.com

Carsultyal

join:2008-04-13
London, ON
reply to kamal9

I'm due to switch to Teksavvy from Sympatico a week Friday. Could Sympatico yoink me and leave me bereft until Monday, or if thinks don't go well, would I just stay with Sympatico over the weekend?

ShadPTR

join:2008-01-23
Markham, ON

1 edit

said by Carsultyal:

I'm due to switch to Teksavvy from Sympatico a week Friday. Could Sympatico yoink me and leave me bereft until Monday, or if thinks don't go well, would I just stay with Sympatico over the weekend?
From what I understand, the coordination with TSI and Bell only leaves you offline for an hour or two. For me, it was done during work hours so I didn't even see a difference.

This should be a seamless transition, however, Bell has been known to yank your line(card) by "accident". If a problem does happen, I can see you disconnected before I can see you being left on Sympatico past your term.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to JayMan26

My reading from the Nexxia site was that it was 5mbit for res, 6mbit for bus.

Taylortbb
Premium
Kitchener, ON

1 edit
reply to Carsultyal

said by Carsultyal:

Short answer:
When you switch to TekSavvy any problems tend to knock out all DSL service on the line, so you wont just be left with Sympatico.

Technical Explanation of Why:
DSL works on a system where there are two parts to getting service. First you need a DSL connection from your house into the Bell "cloud". Then secondly you need a PPPoE login from an ISP to actually reach the internet from the Bell internal network. In fact it's possible to have multiple logins on one DSL connection.

Switching to TekSavvy should just be as simple as having TekSavvy add a PPPoE login to their servers, and telling Bell to disable your PPPoE login with Sympatico. Ideally that DSL line just stays there, you only change the ISP you are using it to connect to.

Unfortunately where the problem normally happens is Bell turns off the DSL connection (pulls your line card), which means even if you have a valid PPPoE login there's no DSL service to use it on. So if there are any problems it will be with the DSL part, not the PPPoE login part, which will leave you without a connection until Bell puts the line card back in.

kamal9

Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to kamal9

is there anyway to improve that, basically i have made the speedtouch 516 as router and ran test, same result when i ran test when the modem in bridge mode. i am fully synced, so whats missing?

Scoop18

Ottawa, ON

Your stats are good and speeds are perfect. What more are you looking for? You can't do better on that profile.

kamal9

Toronto, ON
reply to kamal9

my friend using speedstream 5200 getting the following on his line

Scoop18

Ottawa, ON

You're on the 5056/800 profile and he lucked out and was put on 6016/800. You're getting what you paid for. He's getting more than he paid for because Bell set him up on the wrong profile.

kamal9

Toronto, ON
reply to kamal9

good to know. thanks

Scoop18

Ottawa, ON

NP.