This is a sub-selection from taking bets
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

1 edit

patcat88 to Fiber Guy

to Fiber Guy

Re: taking bets

Sigh, what is the definition of Fiber? trunk lines regardless of strand count? ROW filled with atleast 1 strand? Do you count 2 FO trunks in 2 conduits in the same ROW as 1 "unit of more" or as 2 "units of more"? Or are we looking at "per gigabits per mile"? Does DWDM count make 1 strand into 50? What about redundant routes? What about leasing of fiber? long term or short term?

EDIT: What about multimode fiber? What about datacenter fiber?

CEDog
@comcast.net

CEDog

Anon

Great points. I am fairly certain that the MSOs, with their 100% HFC FTTN network architectures, have much more domestic fiber route miles than the RBOCs, who are still less than 10% into their FTTx upgrades. TWC probably does have more fiber in service than Verizon. This would be an interesting challenge if there was a fair and agreeable way to clear and settle funds, and a good way to get a ruling on whose horse wins. Some of the fiber mile statistics may get reported to the FCC on an annual basis, but I doubt the MSOs and the RBOCs use identical reporting methods, so finding the source of truth for the actual mileage for an apples-apples comparison would be difficult.

I'd propose using single route mile standard regardless of trunk/conduit/fiber strand counts, wavelengths used, or active bandwidth capacity. In this measure, trunk rights of way into major datacenters and interconnects would only count as single route miles. Long-term leases of dark fiber should count in the service providers totals, but short-term fiber leases, and 3rd party transport should not count.

Any suggestions on how to identify an official to preside over the results?

a333
A hot cup of integrals please
join:2007-06-12
Rego Park, NY

1 edit

a333

do you realize that Verizon has thousands of miles of OVERSEAS fiber, not even counting their extensive domestic backbone networks? BTW, ever knew that Verizon/AT&T are both Tier 1 providers, meaning they get free peering to any other Tier-1 provider on the net. No wonder we ppl in VerizonLand, with FiOS get 20 Meg SYMMETRIC speeds. Take that, cable! oh, and no sandvine/caps included...

Trust me, even if all of the RBOC's consumer business evaporated overnight, their corporate/gov't IP backbone services would keep them well afloat.
a333

a333 to patcat88

to patcat88
by any count, when undersea cables are taken into account, along with foreign links (ie Verizon's Europe network), RBOC's do indeed have more fiber than MSO's could have in their dizziest daydreams.
« DSL?its all about money »
This is a sub-selection from taking bets