« DSL?its all about money »
This is a sub-selection from taking bets

CEDog
@comcast.net

CEDog to patcat88

Anon

to patcat88

Re: taking bets

Great points. I am fairly certain that the MSOs, with their 100% HFC FTTN network architectures, have much more domestic fiber route miles than the RBOCs, who are still less than 10% into their FTTx upgrades. TWC probably does have more fiber in service than Verizon. This would be an interesting challenge if there was a fair and agreeable way to clear and settle funds, and a good way to get a ruling on whose horse wins. Some of the fiber mile statistics may get reported to the FCC on an annual basis, but I doubt the MSOs and the RBOCs use identical reporting methods, so finding the source of truth for the actual mileage for an apples-apples comparison would be difficult.

I'd propose using single route mile standard regardless of trunk/conduit/fiber strand counts, wavelengths used, or active bandwidth capacity. In this measure, trunk rights of way into major datacenters and interconnects would only count as single route miles. Long-term leases of dark fiber should count in the service providers totals, but short-term fiber leases, and 3rd party transport should not count.

Any suggestions on how to identify an official to preside over the results?

a333
A hot cup of integrals please
join:2007-06-12
Rego Park, NY

1 edit

a333

do you realize that Verizon has thousands of miles of OVERSEAS fiber, not even counting their extensive domestic backbone networks? BTW, ever knew that Verizon/AT&T are both Tier 1 providers, meaning they get free peering to any other Tier-1 provider on the net. No wonder we ppl in VerizonLand, with FiOS get 20 Meg SYMMETRIC speeds. Take that, cable! oh, and no sandvine/caps included...

Trust me, even if all of the RBOC's consumer business evaporated overnight, their corporate/gov't IP backbone services would keep them well afloat.
« DSL?its all about money »
This is a sub-selection from taking bets