Search similar:

uniqs

Ken Peterson
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08

Ken Peterson

Premium Member

93 Honda Accord - front rotors?

A friend of mine has two '93 Accords, a sedan and a wagon. He says the front disc brake rotors are pressed on the hub, according to his Honda shop manual.

Is this true?
Master5c8
join:2002-09-15
Mansfield, IL

1 edit

Master5c8

I have a 90 Accord myself. Changing the rotors was a huge pain. The rotors are bolted on to the the back of the wheel hub, not the front. The wheel hub is bolted on to the steering knuckle.

The problem I had was removing the hub from the knuckle. The bearing in the hub sits in a hole in the knuckle, it's a tight fit and probably what your friend's manual is referring to. The two had rusted together on me. I had to soak the joint with oil, let it sit a day, and still had to fight with it to get the two to separate. Both sides were the same.

The Haynes manual says you can do the procedure without removing the knuckle assembly fully from the vehicle, and you may be able to if you don't run into the stuck hub problem I had. It was only an extra bolt so I just removed the whole assembly to work on it.

Oh, and the bolts that held the hub on the knuckle were 12 point bolts on my car. In the manual they're pictured as standard hex bolts so I guess you could have either type.

Hope it helps.

Ken Peterson
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08

Ken Peterson

Premium Member

Thanks, it does.

He claims he has to replace a bearing (and or bearing cup) as well if he replaces the rotors.

I frankly found it hard to believe that Honda would make it a PITA to remove the front rotors.

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

santy

MVM

Honda's are supposed to have their rotors turned while on the car. Once they wear down to the point of having to be replaced then you get the PITA of removing the hubs etc. Yes you have to replace the front hub bearings when you replace the rotors as they are pressed into the knuckle. I have yet to see one come apart without damaging the bearing and this is at a Honda dealership.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

1 edit

takeahike

Premium Member

Has this changed since '93? I had a '90 and a '93, now have a '98, and will own a new one probably within the next three years. I would of course never attempt such a job myself, but am I correct in assuming that this problem increases the cost over a typical brake job requiring new rotors?

santy
MVM
Wilmington, IL

santy

MVM

I don't know the year that Honda switched everything around, but I believe late 90's they went to a slip off type of rotor. As to the expense of the brake job, if you have the bolt on from behind type of rotors and they need to be replaced and not machined, then yes it will increase the cost of the typical brake job. Best bet is to contact a Honda dealer for a quote, then do some comparison shopping. Just remember to make sure that all quotes are for the same parts/job. Seen to many places that quote pads/labor and then try and tell you you need rotors, or need them machined for extra cost, while others will quote the price including machining of rotors and will tell you up front the price difference if new rotors are needed.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

2 edits

takeahike

Premium Member

Interesting. On the '98 we had a brake job around 100k. It never really worked right as the steering shimmied when you hit the brakes with any substantial force. 30k later the brake light was coming on so I brought it to a friend/customer of mine, who wound up replacing the rotors and, of course, the pads--it's been just great since then. Obviously, the rotors were turned and not replaced with the first job and the also apparently had huge ridges left in them, thus the shimmy.

Thanks for info!

santy
MVM
Wilmington, IL

santy

MVM

Your welcome.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to Ken Peterson

Premium Member

to Ken Peterson
said by Ken Peterson:

A friend of mine has two '93 Accords, a sedan and a wagon. He says the front disc brake rotors are pressed on the hub, according to his Honda shop manual.

Is this true?
Correct! 1990 to 1997 Accord have that design.

This tool makes it an easier job.

Try-In Tools GDT5 On the car 1990-1997 Honda Accord Hub & Rotor Remover
»store.lancastersupply.co ··· ar1.html
Item # TTGDT5 -- Price -- $149.95

quote:
The GDT5 simply mounts to the hub using the lug nuts and with a turn of the lift bolt, the hub and rotor are removed. Unlike other tools which require the use of a slide hammer or the user to hammer the bearing/hub assembly out. The GDT5 works without removing any suspension parts or even the axle. It’s that simple!
Regards,

Doctor Olds