Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Telcoguru

Premium Member

to Telcoguru

Re: Disappointing FiOS SD and Blurry VOD

said by Telcoguru:

Hit POWER-SELECT-MENU with the TV and STB turned on. You can change aspect ratio and resolution to 4:3 and 480i that should fix your issue. I don't understand why you have a HD box with a SD TV? That's a waste of money.
The thing is, the S-video output should ALWAYS be 480i. The HD settings on the box should have no inpact on the S-video output.

My brother has the HD DVR hooked to the same 27" Sony that I have. He's hooked up with component cables, though, and the last time I saw his setup, the PQ looked really great. The thing is, that was before we got the IMG. I haven't been there since the IMG got updated, so I don't know how his PQ looks now (for the OP's edification, this softness started with the IMG update). For the OP, if your TV has a component input, try that. For that you'll want to adjust your HD settings to 480i, so you can get in the HD channels on that TV as well.

Telcoguru
Premium Member
join:2005-08-22
Fresh Meadows, NY

Telcoguru

Premium Member

How are you getting HD on a SD TV? I'll say it again, I don't know why any of you have a HD box with a SD TV. You're paying for HD that you are not getting.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by Telcoguru:

How are you getting HD on a SD TV? I'll say it again, I don't know why any of you have a HD box with a SD TV. You're paying for HD that you are not getting.
When I first signed up for FIOS TV, the only DVR available was the HD DVR which I used on an SD 32" TV for 6 months before getting an HD TV. This allowed me to watch the HD channels (several that don't have SD equivalents - HDNET, UHD, and others) in letterbox. Those that had SD matches still looked better from the HD channels down-converted to SD (using S-Video from the STB). It also allowed me to have 5.1 sound where available - none of the SD channels (to my knowledge) have 5.1 sound.

Just a possible reason the OP is using an HD box. YMMV.

Telcoguru
Premium Member
Fresh Meadows, NY

Telcoguru

Premium Member

Yes, but now they have SD-DVRs so why not switch and save money and get a box that is compatible with your TV.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

JPL to Telcoguru

Premium Member

to Telcoguru
said by Telcoguru:

You get the HD CHANNELS downcoverted to SD.

Edit - one other reason to get the HD DVR over the SD DVR - space. The HD has a 160GB harddrive, and the SD DVR has an 80GB harddrive.

keyboards
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to Telcoguru

to Telcoguru
said by Telcoguru:

Yes, but now they have SD-DVRs so why not switch and save money and get a box that is compatible with your TV.
HD boxes are not incompatible with SD TVs, you just can't take advantage of their full output capability. There are composite and S-Video outputs on the HD boxes which work perfectly well with SD TVs.

To repeat, there are channels that are not available in SD and Dolby 5.1 audio. It's a personal choice as to what is important to you. Being a musician, sound is very important to me.

Telcoguru
Premium Member
Fresh Meadows, NY

Telcoguru to JPL

Premium Member

to JPL
I know it's down converted, but it is still not HD.

keyboards
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by Telcoguru:

But it still looked better than SD, there are more channels available, and better sound. How many times does one need to repeat - like I said, it is a personal choice. Some people are happy with a 13" analog B&W TV while others want 65" HD sets. That's what makes the world go round.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Telcoguru

Premium Member

to Telcoguru
said by Telcoguru:

I never said that it was. Where did you see that in my posts? The HD box DOES give you access to channels that the SD box doesn't. Is THAT alone worth the extra money every month? Depends - I'm a big fan of HDNet and HDNet Movies. I hate the fact that I can't get them on my SD TV (just have the SD STB on that TV). There are a couple of channels that are HD only channels (HD Net, HD Net Movies, UHD, HD Theater e.g.), and there are a number that are HD simulcasts of the SD versions of the same channels (Food, HGTV, ESPN, ESPN2, e.g.). If having those HD only channels is worth the extra couple of bucks a month to someone, then what's the big deal?

Telcoguru
Premium Member
Fresh Meadows, NY

Telcoguru to keyboards

Premium Member

to keyboards
Keyboards I understand your decision because it is a professional one but to the basic person who watches television it doesn't make much sense.
Telcoguru

Telcoguru to JPL

Premium Member

to JPL
I'll leave it at that, just personal choice. I didn't say that you said it was HD. I was playing devils advocate.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Telcoguru

Premium Member

to Telcoguru
said by Telcoguru:

Keyboards I understand your decision because it is a professional one but to the basic person who watches television it doesn't make much sense.
You mean it doesn't make sense TO YOU. Don't know how you can decide what makes sense for someone else. Why do they need a justification to get the HD box? Maybe someone wants the extra HD space. Maybe someone wants the extra channels, or the 5.1 surround sound. Or maybe that person is planning on getting an HDTV REALLY soon, and didn't want to go through the hassle of having to swap out boxes a month from now. Maybe the only open input on their TV is a component input.

Or maybe the HD DVR was the only one the guy had on the truck, so it was either take that, or wait for the SD DVR (happened to a co-worker who just recently signed up - which was fine with her since she's on the verge of getting an HD TV).

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to Telcoguru

to Telcoguru
said by Telcoguru:

By using the S-Video (or composite) output on the HD box. Admittedly, it isn't the best scenario, but read on...

I have a 36" RCA digital monitor that is capable of 480i component input and up to 800x600 VGA input as well as a few S-Video inputs. I am waiting for a converter box to go from the component output on the HD-DVR to the RGB VGA input, since the component video input is already taken up by the DVD player. In the mean time, I'm using one of the S-Video inputs and I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference between the SD channels and the HD channels, even with just S-Video.

The FiOS installation tech asked why I wanted an HD box when I was using the S-Video input and he even commented that there was a marked difference in PQ between the two definitions on the set.

Plus, the deal was that there was a bundled discount on the movie package/HD-DVR box at the time. Because of that, the HD-DVR only costs me $5 more/mo than a straight SD box.

Telcoguru
Premium Member
Fresh Meadows, NY

Telcoguru

Premium Member

That's cool Rattler. I like everyones passion on here. I get the answers I'm looking for. Until later gentlemen. I'm off to go install some Fios.
jscott522
join:2008-04-15
Windsor Mill, MD

jscott522 to keyboards

to keyboards
Exactly! Ditto on everything you’ve said. On Comcast I was also forced to take an HD-DVR because there were no SD-DVRs. I've always subscribed to every premium channel. I have only one HD TV. I am use to watching movies in 16:9, on the 36 inch Sony WEGA. I always did on Comcast and planned do so on FiOS.

And you probably think I am nuts, but I swear the HD channels (i.e., the local channels, HBO, MAX, Starz, TMC, SHO) look better on the WEGA with the HD box, than the same SD channel does with the SD or HD box. This is especially true with the local channels.

keyboards
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by jscott522:

And you probably think I am nuts, but I swear the HD channels (i.e., the local channels, HBO, MAX, Starz, TMC, SHO) look better on the WEGA with the HD box, than the same SD channel does with the SD or HD box. This is especially true with the local channels.
I certainly don't think you're any crazier than I am, because I agree. Same was true on my old 32" SD Panasonic before I went HD.