Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jonnyb

join:2008-03-15
Haverhill, NH
reply to ender7074

Re: Dont think so

Its there responsibility to filter packets when it affects there network.

root9

join:2005-04-08
Kitchener, ON

2 recommendations

said by jonnyb:

Its there responsibility to filter packets when it affects there network.
That is the biggest load of Bull I've ever heard.

ISP [Internet Service Provider] RULES:
1- provide a connection to Internet
2- provide speeds a customer pays for
3- provide services customer pays for and that are available anywhere on the Internet
4- protect "their own" network from attacks [user responsible for their own security]
5- provide the best quality of service at best prices

TCP/IP has it's own checks and sums and there is NO need what-so-ever to throttle, TCP is self controlling already and takes care of any congestion on it's own!

Anything that Comcast or any other ISP freaks about is actually about digging into privacy of users. This whole subject of throttling is really about preventing users from posting information on big corporations and their illegal activities, which they consider as copyright protected. Hence we must push for Net Neutrality in all areas!

Use everything encrypted or be persecuted
See »wikileaks.org

Senior Network & Systems Analyst
--
Fight for your rights or loose them!

jonnyb

join:2008-03-15
Haverhill, NH
No comment....

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to root9
said by root9:

ISP [Internet Service Provider] RULES:
1- provide a connection to Internet
2- provide speeds a customer pays for
3- provide services customer pays for and that are available anywhere on the Internet
4- protect "their own" network from attacks [user responsible for their own security]
5- provide the best quality of service at best prices
Where did those "rules" come from? No need to throttle TCP? Hah! Even if that were true, what about the other protocols? As for your "digging into privacy" comment....I seriously doubt Comcast gives a rat's arse what is posted on wikileaks if it's not about them.

bent
and Inga
Premium
join:2004-10-04
Loveland, CO
reply to root9
said by root9:

People saturating their connections 24/7 to share American Idol on a network not designed for 100% saturation, but peak usage, IS an attack.

You wanna make sure that the latest boy band singles are available to everyone for free? Pony up the $300 for a T1, and nobody is gonna care if you saturate it.

What I'd really like to see is a study showing how much p2p traffic is "legit" and how much of it is illegal sharing of copyrighted works.
--
»www.lp.org/issues/family ··· et.shtml

"That government is best which governs least" - Thoreau

root9

Kitchener, ON
reply to openbox9
These have been the rules all along, check your Internet history. All protocols fall under these roles
I don't care what Comcast says, they are wrong/illegal/immoral/unethical and that's final!
--

root9

Kitchener, ON

1 edit
reply to bent
again bull ... all wired connections can handle 12 Mbps dwld & 3.5 Mbps uplds 24/7 with all users on at same time.
Comcast has not been fixing their last mile and that's why they have bandwidth probs.

It doesn't matter whether traffic is legit or not ,, PPL have rights. Internet was rejected by DOD and given to universities and likes so it can be used for FREE sharing of information for betterment of everyone on this planet!
--

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE
said by root9:

again bull ... all wired connections can handle 12 Mbps dwld & 3.5 Mbps uplds 24/7 with all users on at same time.
Comcast has not been fixing their last mile and that's why they have bandwidth probs.

It doesn't matter whether traffic is legit or not ,, PPL have rights. Internet was rejected by DOD and given to universities and likes so it can be used for FREE sharing of information for betterment of everyone on this planet!
What? Where did you pull that info from? Or is that your opinion.

Ahrenl

join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA
reply to bent
Why should it matter?

How many guns are used in shootings?

How many drunk drivers are drinking alclohol? Or driving cars?

Should we ban everything that could be used in an illegal act?

bent
and Inga
Premium
Loveland, CO
reply to LeftOfSanity
Straight out his ass...

root9

Kitchener, ON
reply to LeftOfSanity
Please go do some real studying instead of being fed by Big Business.

try:
Internet history
Internet Authority
Wikipedia
google articles related to infrastructure and network management
stats of all kinds

I've been dealing with Big Biz and their lies for over 40 yrs
--

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to root9
Umm, ok. I guess it must be so...because you say it should be.

bent
and Inga
Premium
Loveland, CO
reply to root9
I don't usually do this, but:

ROFL!

all wired connections can handle 12 Mbps dwld & 3.5 Mbps uplds 24/7 with all users on at same time
You do realize you are posting on a tech site, right? Spouting some BS like that might fly on www.bitkiddie.com, but not here.
--
»www.lp.org/issues/family ··· et.shtml

"That government is best which governs least" - Thoreau

root9

Kitchener, ON

2 edits
good, and you realise that tudmax = senior network & systems analyst?
also has worked on Canadian, US and European infrastructure, backbone and ISP level hosting, etc.

and do you realise that most major ISP's are pushing their contect, media and other crap across the wire while throttling rest of internet, which they shouldn't be since they are only an ISP?

I'll add: to have phone and internet on same line is ok, to also add TV, HDTV or any other crap is killing your internet by default.

--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

said by root9:

good, and you realise that tudmax = senior network & systems analyst?
Lots of people on this site claim to be network admins, technology professionals, BOFHs, etc. Who cares? Just look at the folks with Ph.Ds that found proof that Comcast was issuing TCP resets to all traffic, and only later had it pointed out to them that they were overrunning the NAT tables of SOHO routing devices.

If you want to be taken seriously, try posting something that is true and independently verifiable. Posting utter crap and then bragging about your glorious title just makes you a bigger joke.

Iagreewiththis

@comcast.net
reply to root9
Comcast wants to make due with compression and limited connections to the CMTS's without having to spend extra for a bigger pipe to the customers area.
Docsis 3.0 is going to be a joke. The current connections can't handle the bandwidth requirements.
Capacity planning is still not going well and never will from what I can tell.

Yeah they will throttle your traffic because when they put 300-400 people on the same node all sharing the same pipe they have to.