JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

JTRockville

Premium Member

When did Comcast become a law-enforcement agency?

Comcast says this is a way to clearly outline what constitutes legal and illegal filesharing and to define who has control over what actions.

Isn't that sort of like asking car dealerships to deny sales to customers who might use a car while committing a crime?

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

1 edit

1 recommendation

halfband

Premium Member

said by JTRockville:

Comcast says this is a way to clearly outline what constitutes legal and illegal filesharing and to define who has control over what actions.

Isn't that sort of like asking car dealerships to deny sales to customers who might use a car while committing a crime?
I was kind of surprised that comcast even mentioned the whole legal content thing. They are better off just addressing the p2p bandwidth problem and let the content providers work out the legal issues. Trying to determine what is legal vs illegal at the packet level just gets too messy.
Then again maybe that is naive, I guess if you buy into the 80% of p2p is illegal claim, it is a bit hard to ignore the elephant in the room.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to JTRockville

Premium Member

to JTRockville
said by JTRockville:

Comcast isn't a "common carrier" or a public utility and are under no obligation to follow those rule. Aside from some very minor FCC controls, Comcast can run their business as they see fit.

jt45
@comcast.net

jt45 to JTRockville

Anon

to JTRockville
but when you buy a car you own it. you dont own the internet network that you are using. its more like a car rental company saying no you cant rent a car because we have evidence that you will brake the law in it.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

It's more like a rental company saying you can't rent a car because cars can be used to commit crimes (without any evidence that you intend to commit a crime).
JTRockville

JTRockville to halfband

Premium Member

to halfband
said by halfband:

... Then again maybe that is naive, I guess if you buy into the 80% of p2p is illegal claim, it is a bit hard to ignore the elephant in the room.
There's more and more legal content available these days than there was in the beginning. I suspect that will continue to be the trend.

But I agree - Comcast would be better off leaving legality out of the discussion.