All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

This remindes me of timed local service.

In the late Fifties and Early Sixties the Independent Telephone Companies in our area had timed service on party lines. Depending on the company, subscribers were limited to three to five minutes on a local call. If the time was exceeded the call was dropped and the subscriber had to redial. The reason for the timers was that the service providers did not want to install enough cable pairs to serve customers individually to provide private line service. It appears that the Cable Broadband Service Providers do not want to upgrade equipment to handle increases in traffic as the uses for the internet evolves. It is time all broadband service is regulated to assure the subscriber is getting what they are paying for.

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

halfband

Premium Member

said by Mr Matt:

It is time all broadband service is regulated to assure the subscriber is getting what they are paying for.
Be careful what you ask for. With government regulation you could end up with a 1.5Mb/256kb line for $45/mo+$15 in fees as your only choice. However you would be able port your IP to another ISP and have E911 work with email.
amigo_boy
join:2005-07-22

amigo_boy to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

The reason for the timers was that the service providers did not want to install enough cable pairs to serve customers individually to provide private line service.
Actually, it was because some people hogged the party line making it less usable for others who shared it. A great analogy for why bandwidth hogs may need to be throttled.

And, I don't buy the activist rubbish about "they need to provide the speed they advertise." Using telephone service as an analogy again: telcos advertise availability to make calls -- but not if *everyone* in the US picks up the phone and makes a call at the same time. Obviously, availability (or bandwidth) is based upon shared resources and averages of *normal* use.

Activists don't speak for most Internet users.

Mark

jonnyb
join:2008-03-15
Haverhill, NH

jonnyb

i have never had an issue with my service being throttled and i use p2p, you most really have to some crazy stuff to get throttled.
demonotaku8
join:2008-04-16
Vancouver, WA

demonotaku8

I got throttled for downloading 1 Linux Iso, it just honestly depends on where you live because not all comcast lines were throttled

jonnyb
join:2008-03-15
Haverhill, NH

jonnyb

i guess it depends on the node that you are fed from and the amount of customers that are on it in order for you to get throttled does that make sense?
demonotaku8
join:2008-04-16
Vancouver, WA

demonotaku8

said by jonnyb:

i guess it depends on the node that you are fed from and the amount of customers that are on it in order for you to get throttled does that make sense?
Yes and also to answer your question about Caps on comcast lines, Comcast has a cap, but won't tell you what the cap is.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to amigo_boy

Premium Member

to amigo_boy
Neither do you

oldphoneguy
@bellsouth.net

oldphoneguy to Mr Matt

Anon

to Mr Matt
Even with private lines, if everyone in an exchange picked up the phone at the same time, only about one person in ten would get dial tone -- the rest would be left high and dry.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Mr Matt replies to Mr. Matt. I would like to eliminate the possibility of paying more for less. Network Neutrality is the issue. If the Broadband Providers had their way they would create a tier of service for every new use of the internet, in addition to the bandwidth charge.
Let see:
1) Voice over IP: Add $10.00 per month.
2) P2P file sharing: Add $20.00 per month.
3) Video over IP: Add $30.00 per month.
4) Get all three: Add $50.00 per month.
The only organization that can protect us against gouging by the ISP's is the government. The other alternative is finding a way of providing customers access to more ISP's. The customer had more options when internet access was available via dialup and the customer had the choice of the many ISP's listed in the yellow pages.