Premium
join:2005-01-19
Crete, IL

6 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Re: [FYI] Our Pet Memorial Thread

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
400mm 1/640th F2.8 ISO800

This was one thread I was not looking forward to contributing too!

We had to put Josh, our Shepherd mix, down this morning. We found out 8 months ago that he had two cancerous tumors in his snout. The tumors had grown so large that they were bulging his nose and top of his head and pushing on his eyes so he was losing his sight.

We got Josh 12 years ago from the Humane Society when he was about 10 weeks old. He loved to play frisbee and lay on the porch to watch the world go by. He was my best friend and will be missed by all that knew him.

Goodbye JOSH!

gordoco

join:2004-06-05
Boulder, CO

5 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Morgul

Click for full size
OLYMPUS C2100UZ
8mm 1/30th F2.8 ISO100

PENTAX K10D
77mm 1/90th F2 ISO140

This is Morgul, who passed away peacefully today at the age of 17. I got her along with one of her sisters in 1991 when they were about 5 weeks old. I could hold both of them in one hand!

The first picture, taken 6 years ago, is one of my favorites. The second was taken one month ago, before her health rapidly deteriorated.

I will miss that mischievous little kitty! Now her sister has rule of the house.

MrFixitCT
pay it forward
Premium,VIP,ExMod 2001-06
join:2000-12-01
Charleston, SC
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
·Home Telephone
·AT&T DSL Service

1 edit

4 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Click for full size
Vixen, sent to that better place last weekend after 14+ years due to the onset of congestive heart failure, failing kidney and respiratory distress. My companion thru good and bad, even before I met MrsFixit. She is missed
Expand your moderator at work

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium,MVM
join:2002-09-24
Palmer, AK

4 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Click for full size
Rockefeller P. Ridgeback 11/03/1995 - 05/28/2003
Rocky was adopted as a puppy from Anchorage Animal Control. He was a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix and canine osteosarcoma (bone cancer) claimed his life. He was cremated and his ashes sit nearby in a cedar box.

He was the smartest dog I've ever had the pleasure of being owned by. His greatest pleasure in life was the weekly theft of the Sunday paper from the office across the street.

His favorite commands were "Get the paper!" and "Get the mouse!". Till we meet again......

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

2 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

It's amazing how much these aminals rule our lives.

Still, I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!1

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

6 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

This is my Moe. She was born into my hand along with her brothers after I took in their stray mother.

She got tired of Mummy taking her picture when she was trying to sleep

Trying to ignore me taking pictures

She was never one for thunderstorms and the lump on my bed usually told of thunder before I even heard it.

EASTMAN KODAK CX7430 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
7mm 1/60th F3

Her usual place during a storm

She loved watching the world go by from my bedroom window as she aged. I fed birds and squirrels so she'd have some excitement.

13.5mm 1/90th F4.1

Watching the squirrels and birds

She preferred a small, dark sleeping place and would pester me most mornings to make her 'apartment' for her from a frame I made with dowels and my fleece throws. Some days she was inside, some days she was on the roof.

10.8mm 1/90th F4

On the roof of her 'apartment'

Moe left me one early morning last September. She was 18 and in pain from her hips. She went out one morning and just never came back from the woods behind the house. I was a wreck until about a week later when I had a dream. I was driving on an unknown road when I saw her on the side of the road. I managed to catch her and bring her with me, but when we got back to my house, she told me she was happy where she was, didn't hurt anymore, and she loved me. I begged her to give me just one more hour, but she couldn't so I let her go.

She was a giant chicken, not warming to many others, and she was my baby. It's been strange not being constantly mindful of needing her food, cleaning her litter, remaking the apartment, after 18 years of it. And I know she understood many phrases. I always talked to her in plain English and she could tell me which flavor food she was in the mood for, when she was complaining and I said "I'll be there in two minutes" she's quiet down, if I said "downstairs", she'd head right down to wait for me. There are too many examples to write, but I know she understood me. I'll get another cat someday.
--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

4 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Click for full size
Miss You JuJu!!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

6 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

My boating buddy passed away last year and I still can't bring myself to get another pooch.

He was 17 though and had a good life.
--
~~Get our troops home...now!!~~

IPingUPing
N4BFR
Premium
join:2002-08-30
Atlanta, GA

5 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Bart

Bart
Bart passed in May, I had in for 16 years and 4 states. These are my favorite pics of him.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

said by IPingUPing:

Bart passed in May, I had in for 16 years and 4 states. These are my favorite pics of him.
Whoah! Bart was a big boy!

SW - your Moe is a dead ringer for a cat we had as kids, "Lucky" was her name, she was a sweet one.

Beautiful pictures everyone!

dwrose
Premium
join:2001-03-16
Belton, TX

6 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Sable

Toby
Sable was 12 years old when she passed over three months ago.

Toby was 11 years old when he passed over 2 days ago.

Both were good loving dogs and they will be missed.

Maccawolf
Premium
Hillsdale, NJ

1 recommendation

WOW, two dogs almost back to back, that must really tank!

My heart goes out to you and yours. I know you are going through a very hard time right now.
--

Mom and Crockett...... I miss you both!

ErikVKing
Erik the Viking
Premium
join:2008-06-19
Davenport, IA
reply to gordoco

Re: Morgul

Isn't that the funny thing about cats...? They can be soaked and looking all in "disrepair" but they still look regal ;o).

MrFixitCT
pay it forward
Premium,VIP,ExMod 2001-06
join:2000-12-01
Charleston, SC

2 recommendations

Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Maccawolf
Premium
Hillsdale, NJ

dogs don't have owners, they have servants.

Staff are higher in the pecking order than SERVANTS.
--

KCP

join:2008-06-21
Pearl River, LA

2 recommendations

said by Maccawolf:

dogs don't have owners, they have servants.

Staff are higher in the pecking order than SERVANTS.
I beg to differ.

As was told to me by a Mr. Bays:

"A dog sees a person. The person feeds it, pets it and loves it; it sees a god.

A cat sees a person. The person feeds it, pets it and loves it; it is God."

Maccawolf
Premium
Hillsdale, NJ

1 recommendation

Tell that to MY boys, they think THEY are G*d....
Both the Collie, & the Husky......
--

KCP

join:2008-06-21
Pearl River, LA

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Maccawolf:

Tell that to MY boys, they think THEY are G*d....
Both the Collie, & the Husky......
I cannot contest that at all.

The words I shared is just a passing wisdom. Nothing more.

Edit: And I meant no offence by it if it caused any.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:36

1 edit

3 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

I didn't think I'd be adding to this thread so soon after the death of my first Sheltie. Now I have lost my rescue Sheltie Beamer to congestive heart failure. He will be sorely missed. Here is the tribute I wrote yesterday.
-----------------------------------------------------------

When our first Sheltie Buttons died, it was devastating to us. Not only for us, but to our other Sheltie Bows who was very attached to her. For weeks Bows acted depressed and just moped around the house. We thought that maybe if we got another Sheltie it would help all of us so I checked with Sheltie rescue. With the pains of being a senior dog suffering with arthritis, Bows gets grumpy at times and doesn’t like being bothered by younger dogs, so we decided to find a dog around her age. Sheltie rescue had one dog that looked like a good match, Beamer. He was suppose to be 12 years old and he was about 10 lbs heavier than Bows, so I knew even if she was grumpy, he wouldn’t let her push him around. We set up an appointment to meet him.

When Beamers foster parents brought him in, they warned us that he is very afraid of strangers but will settle down after a couple minutes. Sure enough, Beamer was shaking from fear when we first got close to him. Still in that little time with him, we could tell he was a nice dog. We decided to take him. I only had one question. I noticed that on the web page that he was adopted in 2006, but now he was back in rescue. I was told that his new owner complained about him peeing in the house but that she was leaving him home alone for 11-12 hours a day. What an idiot! What dog can hold it that long on a regular basis. Her loss was our gain.

On the day they brought him to our house we were very excited but worried that he wouldn’t be coming that day because it was snowing and the roads were getting bad, but they managed to get him to us anyway. It didn’t take Beamer long to make his self at home. Three hours after his arrival I found him stretched out on the couch with his head on the pillow. That’s when I took my first picture of him. He must have known that this would always be his home.

As we got to know him, we began to think that at least in some time in his life he must have been abused. In addition to the fear of strangers, if you reached out to pet him, he’d duck and run. The only way to pet him was to reach out and let him come to you. If you moved your foot toward him either to step over him or sometimes I’d try to pet him with my foot when I only had socks on, he’d jump out of the way. These and other things led us to believe he was abused. We did have one incident where his fears caused me concern. It was about a week after we got him. He showed us that we could take him into the yard and not have him run off, he stayed pretty close. I saw my neighbor outside and went over to talk to him. Beamer followed me down the driveway. When my neighbor reached out to greet Beamer, he took off running down the street. He went up my next door neighbor’s driveway and I couldn’t get him to come to me, he’d stay just out of reach. Finally Bows shows up and seeing her, Beamer calmed down and followed me home.

Over the months, Beamer learned to trust people. He no longer feared strangers and wouldn’t duck away when you reached out to pet him. As I spent a lot of time with him and gave him plenty of loving he became a daddy’s boy. Bows on the other hand is a mommy’s girl. She seems to greet me mostly when she thinks I’m going to feed her. But Beamer would always get up and come over to greet me whenever I came in the door. He’d want me to pet him for awhile and then he’d lay down against my leg. Beamer’s previous owners must not have spent hardly any time with him. He had no interest in toys and didn’t really seem to know how to play. He also didn’t know any basic commands. It didn’t take too long to teach him to sit, but “give paw” took three months. Afterwards when I’d pet him, he’d give me his paw and I took it as him giving affection back because he knew “giving paw” was a good thing. We never really got him to play much. If we tried to play with both him and Bows, he’d be standoffish and just wag his tail and bark out of our reach. But he had one little game he liked to play when we played with just him. He’d lay on his side and like us to play with his mouth. He especially liked to nibble on our fingers if we put them in his mouth. He’d also cutely kick his front legs against our hand. We called this game “silly boy”. One funny thing he did was walk while doing his business. It was funny enough when he’d pee as he switched lifting up one leg, then the other as he created a pee trail. But he really looked funny all hunched over taking a poop and walking.

Beamer was a gentle, friendly, loving dog. He did very well with my grandson and did a good job vacuuming up all the food dropped by him. We only had him since Mar 2007, but he was deeply loved by us all. We were truly blessed to have had him as part of our family, I only wish that we could have had many more years with him. I wish he could have belonged to a loving family all his life because he disserves the best. He will always be in my thoughts. Goodbye for now my Beamer buddy boy. Go play with Buttons until I am able to join you.

Beamer 7/24/08

Edit: A nice person over on dogster gave Beamer his wings, so I wanted to add them here.

--
RIP my babys Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07 Beamer 7/24/08, Buttons, Buttons video, Beamer

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

Sorry to hear this Tim. It doesn't matter if they were with us only a couple of weeks or pushing a couple of decades, it's never easy. But at least you can take comfort in providing a good, loving home for him to spend his last year of life in.

nyteeyes1
RIP my beloved spook 1991 to 8-2-08
Premium
join:2001-09-07
Jacksonville, FL

1 edit

6 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

The End of an Era

Click for full size
Click for full size
Panasonic DMC-FZ18
11.4mm 1/60th F3.2 ISO800

Well, unfortunately I have one to add. This is Spook. I got her when she was 8 weeks old. She passed away just a couple of hours ago at age 17.

Through a certain period of my life I moved around a lot. Everywhere I went, I refused to give up my spook or leave her behind. She went through it all with me.

Spook was strange, she didn't like strangers who came over to my place and she would hide. There was only one person who she actually came to and sit next to, which floored me and him.

When my now husband suggested we become roommates back in 97, I knew he hated cats but I told him if he won't allow her to move in with me then I couldn't do it.

Long story short, he swears that it was spook that chose him and brought us together as a couple, we were just friends before all this.

Needless to say he's taking this hard. I'll be 34 soon and it's very hard to believe my spook was with me for half of my life.

She will be missed.

Sorry to ramble...
--
You only get one life.
There’s no God, no rules, no judgments.
Except for those you accept or create for yourself.
And once it’s over,
It’s over.
Dreamless sleep forever and ever.
So why not be happy while you’re here?
Really.
Why not?

Ludwik
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Poland

3 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Sony K550i
1/60th F2.8 ISO100

Our German shepherd

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

Nice tribute......15 yrs old,so she/he had a long life.
--
~~Get our troops home...now!!~~

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

2 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

It's been nine months now, since an IM went out to a very few people:

Maccawolf
Premium
Hillsdale, NJ

SOOO sorry to hear that!

nyteeyes1
RIP my beloved spook 1991 to 8-2-08
Premium
join:2001-09-07
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Pretorious

Today marks 2 months that my Spook died..I miss her dearly.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:36

2 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

--
RIP my babys Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07 Beamer 7/24/08, Buttons, Buttons video, Beamer

Valkyre
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2000-12-25
Valhalla

4 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Tripod, our three legged kitty. Had to be put to sleep, at 11 years old, at the end of this past July. I miss him dearly.

jabz5
Shedevil
Premium
join:2001-01-22
USA

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Unfortunatly my 9yr. old and I are next to add to this thread. I pray that the next death on this neighborhood street isn't a child. Please do the speed limit or below on your neighborhood streets........

And if you are one of those that purposely aim,.....shame, shame....

April 1, 2007 to Nov 3, 2008