Gordon

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-26
Camelot
kudos:2
reply to hayc59

So Sorry I know how you feel they are so small but take up a really big part of your life and heart.

It has been 3 weeks for me and I still feel sad and tearful at times.

Hank
--
*****aka The WIZARD *****A Founding member of Seti BBR Team Starfire***

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
Camelot

1 recommendation

reply to RonS

She has a been a deep and big part in your life and the loss to you is understood and shared by us as well.

Hank
--

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

3 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Click for full size
Window cat
I'm back in this thread again?

Today we had to say goodbye to Ryoohki. With us for 16 years. She had been battling kidney failure for the past 2, and finally could fight no more. We made the hardest choice to end her battle.

She was our daughter's cat, snatched from the wife when we got her. Our daughter was 2 then. So needless to say, it's been a tough day.

Rest now girl, we love you, and will miss you. Give Ranma a happy hello when you see him across the bridge.

KittyMom
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:8

So very sorry for your loss.

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
kudos:1
reply to captokita

Sorry for your loss.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

Thanks for the kind words guys. She was a wonderful cat and we miss her dearly. Funny how animals can be such a part of our lives in little ways we seem to take for granted until they're gone and are no longer there for those little things.

Like I said, she was more our daughter's cat, as far as she could call her, and she'd run to bed with her. Did that since she was 2. When our daughter started college and was away from home she became OUR bed cat, and she would then sleep near us in the same way she did her kid (up by your head, on your arm)

Definitely the worst part about pet ownership, be it 1 year or 16. We're down to one cat now, she's 10, and has been VERY clingy/needy since Friday, which is out of character for her. Makes you wonder what they know..........

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium
join:2003-01-22
Algonquin, IL

2 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Click for full size
Canon EOS REBEL T2i
100mm 1/200th F11 ISO100

After having to put down my kitten, "Thunder", in December due to FIP, I figure the chances of getting another kitten who goes on to die from FIP is pretty much zero.

Not quite.

My wonderful kitten, Orion, who I had for only 9 weeks, was put down this afternoon due to FIP.

Freaking sucks.

The pain is unreal.

KittyMom
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

Rich, I'm sorry seems so inadequate, but I am sorry. That just plain sucks!!!

GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA
reply to richdelb

Wow, I can't say how sorry I am.

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium
Algonquin, IL
reply to Pretorious

Thanks folks. This one hurts many times more than anything I have ever experienced before. I am really torn up about Orion. This is just unbelievable. The Vets tell me so, the shelter is dumbfounded... It's something out of a Stephen King book or something.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

said by richdelb:

Thanks folks. This one hurts many times more than anything I have ever experienced before. I am really torn up about Orion. This is just unbelievable. The Vets tell me so, the shelter is dumbfounded... It's something out of a Stephen King book or something.

So very sorry to hear this, but again, I ask, are they SURE it was FIP? If indeed it is, then the shelter you got Orion from is likely infected with it at as well and every cat in there would likely have it. It's a VERY contagious disease, but also is misdiagnosed because positive tests don't mean 100% that the cat HAS it.

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium
Algonquin, IL

1 recommendation

FIP doesn't really work like that. Here is an excellent source or info on FIP: »www.marvistavet.com/html/fip.html

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
Camelot
reply to richdelb

I know it hurts and can really get to you, LOVE knows no bounds.
They enter into your life and leave a big hole when they have to leave.

Very sorry for your loss it does get better and they will always be with you in your heart with fond memories.
--

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
reply to richdelb

Very sorry for your loss!!

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
Scottsdale, AZ
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to richdelb

OMG! That sure sucks big time. Who would ever have thunk it? Certainly not I. I am so so sorry. How that can happen 2x in such a short time is almost impossible to believe; so very rare to have happened. I hope the shelter where these kitties came from gets their act cleaned up.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to richdelb

said by richdelb:

FIP doesn't really work like that. Here is an excellent source or info on FIP: »www.marvistavet.com/html/fip.html

It's an infectious disease. Your link says in part:

It is common wherever cats are housed in groups
and it is readily transmitted between cats.

Transmission is typically by contact with infected feces. This means that the litter box is the usual place where infection takes place. This infection is unusual in cats that free-roam outdoors (no litter box) or who live in homes where there is only one cat. The virus enters the new host’s body via the nose and mouth.

Households with fewer than 5 cats eventually spontaneously clear of coronavirus. Households with more than 5 cats virtually never clear of coronavirus.

Seems like the shelter can indeed be the source of the problem.

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium
Algonquin, IL

1 edit
reply to Pretorious

The CORONAVIRUS is infectious. FIP is a non contagious mutation of the CORONAVIRUS. The mutation is not shed in the litter box. It's a reaction to the mutation. MOST cats are exposed to the CORONAVIRUS. The vast majority of them never develop FIP.

The very section you quote is referring to the CORONAVIRUS, NOT FIP. Read it again.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Ah. Thanks!

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

3 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Click for full size
Tiffy in January 1999
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
5mm 1/500th F5.6 ISO80

Tiffy enjoying snow in 2010

February 2012
on Wednesday, March 21, I said goodbye to Tiffany/Tiffy, my 4 legged friend of 13.5 years... Back then, a now ex-wife said she wanted a dog, a Yorkie.... while I wasn't crazy about the idea, we found and bought her. I fed, played with, card for and walked her. When I ended that marriage in 2007, she moved to a place where she couldn't have a dog, so Tiffy stayed with me.

Before they injected her, I learned that she had lost more weight. She used to weigh right around 11.2 to 10.5 pounds.... about 1.5 years ago when she was diagnosed with the kidney damage, she was down to 9.... 1 week ago, when she went in for her rabies shot, she was 7.2... today, she weighed just 6.5 pounds.

several tears were shed, and I let out a sob or two... but when I got home, I headed out on my 4 mile walk, while wearing an iPod. during the walk, I remembered how good she was to me, and how much I tried to show her I cared.

By the 30 minutes/2 mile point, halfway through the walk, I was fine. Death is a part of life. Haven't really been sad about it other than that first 30 minutes. Sadness is the wrong attitude, I have been pretty reflective, thinking about all kinds of things that have happened in my life.... some nice, some weird, but all things considered, I guess I can't complain..

to be perfectly honest, it bothered me a whole lot more saying goodbye to the dog I didn't really want, than being bedside as my own Mother took her last breaths....
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

1 recommendation

Awww, my favorite online dog.
I will miss her.
R.I.P. Tiffy.
"Auntie Lonnie"
--
Lonnie

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to lotusracer

Very sorry for your loss.

KittyMom
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

reply to lotusracer

So very sorry for your loss. These memorials always make me cry but I can't not stop by and offer my condolences.

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to lotusracer

I sure feel for you and am sorry for your loss. Tiffy looks just like my Yorkie "YoYo" that I had to give up due to my health and I sure miss him.
--
He had a photographic memory which was never developed.

lotusracer
Premium
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to lotusracer

thanks all..... I didn't actually notice this thread until today!

actually contacted my ex to ask if she wanted to be there or if she wanted to say goodbye, but she declined. I thanked her for choosing Tiffy.

Created a nice thank you card and dropped it off at the vet's today, and in today's mail I got a nice sympathy card from them.

Honestly, guess I miss her a bit... yet at the same time, I kind of like the quiet and peace of having her gone.
--

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
Camelot

1 recommendation

Sorry for your little friend's passing.

DaMonster

join:2011-05-19
Tucson, AZ

3 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Click for full size
NIKON COOLPIX L100
5mm 1/39th F3.5 ISO800

Jan'08 - Nov'11
Click for full size
NIKON COOLPIX L100
5mm 1/59th F3.5 ISO3200

Jan'08 - Nov'11
This is Bean, like coffee bean. The laziest dog around, if you needed someone to sleep with you this was not the dog because every time you moved in bed he grumbled haha.

He never barked, he would not sit if it was cold tile under his butt and once he was so lazy he put a pile of food by his covers, laid on his back and turned his head to the side so he could grab food while laying down.

He hated water and the only thing he loved more then scrambled egg was being with someone, you had to leave the restroom door open so he could see you or stand his scratching the entire time. Once he even jumped in the shower until water hit him and rushed back out to sit on the carpet. Miss you bean!

KittyMom
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

So sorry for your loss. Bean sounded like quite a character.

lotusracer
Premium
Moline, IL
reply to Pretorious

sorry to read about the loss of your 4 legged friend. it sure is easy to love them.
--

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
Camelot
reply to Pretorious

Bean sounds like he was unique and strange lovable pup.

Sorry for your loss I think he and you were very close.

Hank
--