Pretorious
Theres more behind the pic than the wall
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-08
kudos:1

3 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Re: [FYI] Our Pet Memorial Thread

So sad to see all of this after my long absence. I actually got a scare just last week when my best friend Zane (Lab) laid all day long and all night, never moved, wouldn't eat, just laid there. We had been going on longer walks than usual the days before but after a couple of days he was back to his old self again, I really think now he was just totally exhausted. Thank God for that, because Zane is THE best friend I have and right now would be the worst possible time for me for something like this to happen to him.
--
My other Gallery
And yet another

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-26
Camelot
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
This is a place that shows a loss but more so it shows much Love and caring for each other as friends, and members of our family.
--
****aka The WIZARD *** A Founding member of Seti BBR Team Starfire***

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

2 recommendations

reply to bolt
You are so right about that sentiment. It just hurts knowing another friend has taken the steps across the Rainbow bridge.

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN

3 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
I love the pet memorial thread, but I'm saddened every time it pops up. It means someone else lost a friend

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium
join:2000-06-19
Dayton, OH

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to Jodokast96
Beauty was just that, a Beauty. Having three boxers myself your loss hit especially hard for me. Sounds like she might of had Cardiomyopathy. Our boxer forum have has way to many babies pass before their time due to this.

So so sorry for your loss...
--
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

3 edits

4 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

FUJIFILM FinePix S3000
36mm 1/125th +1.5ev F2.8 ISO200

Beauty - Ever vigilant and always on "Guard! Guard! Guard!"

Never imagined I'd be posting one of my own here any time soon. Returned home from a trip to the store to find our Beauty had suddenly passed. Just hours before, she was prancing around the yard without a care in the world.

She came to us just about 2 years ago after a hard life of being used for breeding at a puppy mill. But with us, she found a life of luxury. She may have been smaller than both our males, but there was no doubt about it, she was the boss. Our home was her castle, and she was it's defender. Despite having had her vocal chords snipped at the mill, it was her bark, which she regained a bit of with us, that made one wary. Even while sleeping the day (and night) away, she was always on guard, the first to alert us to any activity outside the house, and jumping right up whenever my wife Michelle would leave the room, just so she could keep an eye on her favorite owner. The comical snorting and grunting she did, combined with her somewhat large mid-section, caused her to be affectionately dubbed Spider-Pig.

As much as our girls love all 3 of their dogs, Beauty was by far their favorite, mostly because she most reminded them of Roxy, who we lost nearly 3 years ago. Not 2 hours before my 6 year old was going on about how much she still missed her, when we had to tell her and her sister what happened. The devastation that followed was what did me in on this evening.

Beauty, you will be so greatly missed. You've left a hole in the heart of this home that will never be filled, and we hope the love you received in your short time with us was enough to make up for what you suffered before coming to us.

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA
reply to GeekGirl1
said by GeekGirl1:

Also sorry about the loss of Sabrina. I agree with RonS that it should remain.

A photo is intended to make a statement and to draw emotion from the viewer. It doesn't have to be happy. There are many ways you could have chosen to convey your message. What you've shown is that you treated your companion with the utmost respect and gave her comfort up to the end. Well done.

Update: When I had my first B&W darkroom, my uncle's dog passed away. I gave my uncle an 8 x 10 photo of the dog to put by her urn. He still has it.
Thanks, GeekGirl1.

I'll search my photo archives for pix of Sabrina in her living state. It might take awhile. They're scattered all over my LAN... I have no less than four computers upon which are images of Sabrina. Some of those IMGs are misnamed...

It's gonna take some time. After all, those JPEGs go back almost seven years.
--
A filthy mind is a terrible thing to waste.

GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

2 edits
reply to Radio Active
Also sorry about the loss of Sabrina. I agree with RonS that it should remain.

A photo is intended to make a statement and to draw emotion from the viewer. It doesn't have to be happy. There are many ways you could have chosen to convey your message. What you've shown is that you treated your companion with the utmost respect and gave her comfort up to the end. Well done.

Update: When I had my first B&W darkroom, my uncle's dog passed away. I gave my uncle an 8 x 10 photo of the dog to put by her urn. He still has it.

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium
Fullerton, CA

1 recommendation

reply to RonS
said by RonS:

Sorry about your loss of Sabrina.

(I don't have a problem with the photo)
Thanks, RonS... She'll be back from the "arrangement" soon enough and we'll keep her on the mantle over the fireplace in a nice box with her name on it.

--

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium
join:2000-06-19
Dayton, OH
reply to Radio Active
Sorry about your loss of Sabrina.

(I don't have a problem with the photo)

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium
Fullerton, CA

6 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
Click for full size
EASTMAN KODAK EASYSHARE Z1012 IS Digital Camera
11.7mm 1/500th F3.2 ISO1600

So long, Sabrina. I love you.
This shot is right after Sabrina passed. I was sitting with my Sabrina when she took her last breath and walked over the bridge. I went and woke up Wifeypoo, who was her original mistress, until I came along. She was my lap dog after that, and I was her master. Toward the end, she became standoffish. We left her be.

If this shot is inappropriate for this thread, mods, please remove. I don't want to bring anyone down with my self-indulgence.

Users, sorry if this shot is too heavy.
--

EveryName
Premium
join:2001-12-05
Montreal

3 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
Click for full size
300mm 1/400th F7.1 ISO200

Hammis - she will be missed (1998-2008)
Click for full size
Canon EOS 30D
200mm 1/400th F2.8 ISO320

Tali - 2007 - - Alive and kicking!
This was a cat, Hammis, we had for many years. She was more of the house's cat (at my mom's), but I still miss her. She was probably 10 years old.

I still have a cat at my mom's (3000 miles away) that is 20 years old. He is still kickin' it, and having a good time.. spending most of his days in front of the fireplace in the winter and the front patio in the summer. I was never a cat person, and don't feel that much connection to him, but I know when he dies I will miss him for sure. I hope I get to see him before he finially passes.

Now I have a pet that I have much more of a connection with - Tali. She is almost 2 years old, and has many years ahead of her.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
reply to Pretorious
God bless all the 4 legged children. We know that we're sad but they are romping in a better place, young in spiriti and being again. What a way to go!

CatSnak
RIP Splashy - We miss you
Premium
join:2001-05-06
Lakeside, CA

6 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
Yesterday 03/19/2009 at around 5pm we euthanized the first horse I actually owned. She was 23 years old and a very valued member of our family and the herd. She was the head mare of the herd and did not tolerate any misbehavior. She was suffering from a neurological disorder that made it difficult for her to walk sometimes. Thankfully she was having a good day yesterday and went while she was happy and not in pain or suffering.

Rest In Peace Splashy Doll!

I miss you baby girl!

More pics at David's Horses
--
Founding member, 2002-2003, 2005-2006 Director of Communications, 2004-2005 Secretary for the Crunchenstein Project

Fishead1
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

4 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
Click for full size
Canon EOS 20D
45mm 1/60th F5.6 ISO400

It was a bad Friday the 13th in more ways then one last week.
I had to put my poor Sam to sleep last Friday.I got him off the street about 3 years ago and he has been thru heaven and hell with me and my own health problems.He developed a cyst on his back knee joint which got worse over the last year.I had gone to a few vets and was looking to have his back leg amputated but they said there was nothing they could do.The cyst was to close to vital areas to operate.So I had to just hang on and take him as far as I could.It was getting to the point where he lost a lot of weight and wasn't eating much and was breathing very labored.It was hard for me to make the move to have him put to sleep.I think I should have done it sooner but could not pull the trigger I guess because I was too preoccupied with my own health problems.
On that same Friday the 13th I went to my liver clinic and they put me in the hospital to run tests (I have Hepatitis "C" and kidney complications from the HEP"C").I really need a liver and kidney transplant(at the same time)and my liver isn't in as bad a shape as my kidneys but they won't transplant a kidney if liver is infected with Hep"C" because it will kill the transplanted kidney .So its a catch"22" sort of position I'm in.right now I'm looking at dialysis in the very near future.
When it rains it pours.

Pentax Noob
Premium
join:2009-01-27
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Pretorious
I like to think of it this way...
They loved you very much, and so did you, but all lives have to pass some day, right? And, I guess it was their turn. They're in a better place, and you should be happy for them. After all you'll meet them again someday.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

3 recommendations

reply to jaykaykay
Click for full size
I found something that hit me when I first saw it and thought I would share it here. I may have found it here for all I know, but it still hits the mark.

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

3 recommendations

reply to jaykaykay
I actually ended a friendship over that very comment.

You know, I was raised that if I couldn't say anything nice, not to say anything at all...
--
Mom and Crockett...... I miss you both!

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:41

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Understand what? The fact that our pets are nearly as dear to us as children and some even fit that feeling. You are absolutely correct, especially when someone says, "oh, it's just a cat/dog." It's so much more than that.
Yep, you get that a lot "it's just a cat/dog". For those who can't find support for your loss, try »www.petloss.com/ The people there are very helpful.
--
RIP my babys Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07 & Beamer 7/24/08, Buttons, Buttons video, Beamer

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA

1 recommendation

reply to TigerNutz
Understand what? The fact that our pets are nearly as dear to us as children and some even fit that feeling. You are absolutely correct, especially when someone says, "oh, it's just a cat/dog." It's so much more than that.

TigerNutz
Laissez les bons temps rouler
Premium
join:2000-12-23
Little Rock, AR

2 recommendations

reply to jaykaykay
Thank you JKK and thanks to my friend Pretorious for thinking of this so that we can share our grief and remember the happiness these animals gave us unconditionally.

Only animal lovers like ourselves can understand.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA

1 recommendation

reply to TigerNutz
I am very sorry that you did and that you lost your long time companion. Good bye, Rex.

TigerNutz
Laissez les bons temps rouler
Premium
join:2000-12-23
Little Rock, AR

5 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
Click for full size
Click for full size
I'll miss you my friend!
Like someone said, I sure did not want to contribute to this thread.

Rex was my best friend for 16 years. We traveled across the US.
He was a good dog, he will be truly missed.
I love you Rex.
RIP

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

6 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot Pro1
50mm 1/60th F3.5

Bear - My buddy for 19 years. We had to put her down today 1/06/09.
RIP girl, may you find that eternal sunny spot to nap in.
--
Team Discovery

rockhounds_5
Premium
join:2004-07-29
Lewisville, TX

5 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
Click for full size
Winston
Click for full size
We got Winston from the shelter at 3 months. He was full of worms. We had him dewormed, and he went on to give us 16 years. Got loose a lot, and got hit by a car. We found him in the shelter several days later. He loved water. Never missed an opportunity to get wet. We put him down 2001.

Jpattiso

join:2001-05-02
Tenafly, NJ

1 edit

3 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot SD750
12.1mm 1/60th F4 ISO200

Sammie
After 18 and a half years our cat Sammie, passed away a little after midnight on New Year's Eve.

She fought a long battle with Thyroid cancer, however she was hanging in there and doing OK up until Wednesday. Her decline was very rapid, she stopped walking the afternoon before she passed away. I think she waited until we got back from vacation so we could say good-bye to her.

She took her last breath as I was petting her.

XYF2
Premium
join:2006-07-01
Kitchener, ON

7 recommendations

reply to Pretorious
Click for full size
6.3mm 1/60th F3.5 ISO125

Ruby 1997-2008
Click for full size
Enjoying the company of her personal sunbeam
Last year we adopted a Basenji from the humane society. I'd always wanted one, but prefer to adopt older dogs, and Basenji aren't common in shelters around here. So I was beside myself when I saw Ruby up for adoption. She came home with us in mid-October 2007. Unlike typical Basenji who can be a bit stubborn, she was very obedient, well behaved, accepted all the other pets, including the rats. She loved going for walks, enjoyed the leash-free parks and even put up with several baths after a skunk encounter (Basenji do not like water unless it's for drinking. They're very clean dogs and groom themselves like cats do, so she must have decided that an evil bath was okay in this instance. )

We lost our fantastic friend on Tuesday, November 25, 2008, when Ruby crossed Rainbow Bridge.
On Thursday, just a few days earlier, she was chasing squirrels, one of her favourite pastimes. One particular squirrel will never ever set foot on my trees again, he's learned to steer clear of this yard. She only looked a bit "off" on Saturday, but not really sick. Sunday she walked a little bit slow, rested more than usual, and didn't eat, not even her favourite supper, green tripe. I knew something wasn't right. I got her to the vet on Monday. She was so good with all the x-rays, blood tests and shots, didn't object once. The preliminary results showed a bladder infection and pneumonia. I took her home, made her comfy, she even let the cats snuggle with her (something she would never do before). There was no sign of her going downhill, she just looked and acted a bit sick. She had a good night, took her pills in the morning like a trooper. Around noon the vet phoned to give me some updates, and when I went back into the living room after the phone call, I noticed Ruby wasn't breathing. She'd just quietly slipped away during the 10 minutes I was on the phone.

When we brought her to the clinic to arrange cremation, the vet told me that she and the other doctors had looked at the x-rays and saw that Ruby had a couple of lung tumours. She hid it so well. Even a few weeks earlier when she went for her annual physical, she passed with flying colours, all tests said she was healthy. Anyone who had seen her the last few months couldn't believe she had been so close to the end. She even got compliments on how young she looked and acted, even though she was 11 years old. At least she didn't suffer long.

The first picture was taken in October, just a few weeks before she left us.

We only had a year together, but we had a good time, she had fun and love. I'll never again find a Basenji like her, she'll be my one-and-only.
--
If pigs really could fly, I imagine more humans would carry umbrellas.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to Pretorious
to nyteeyes1:

Spook was strange, she didn't like strangers who came over to my place and she would hide. There was only one person who she actually came to and sit next to, which floored me and him.

My wife's Siamese was the same way. When we started dating in 93, the ol gal was 13. She didn't like anyone, but she sat on my lap the first day I was over there. She had NEVER done that to anyone outside the family. Guess she knew something. We lost her 3 years later.

to NAK:

20 years? WOW! That was one rugged cat!

lonls
Life is good
Premium
join:2006-03-20
Newark, DE

5 recommendations

reply to Pretorious

Re: [FYI] Our Pet Memorial Thread: Pete 1996-2008

Leo and Pete... still kittens here.
Click for full size
EASTMAN KODAK DX7590 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
11.1mm 1/80th F3.2 ISO140

Pete in a box.
Click for full size
EASTMAN KODAK DX7590 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
21mm 1/40th F3.2 ISO140

I don't want to get up.
Click for full size
Panasonic DMC-FX30
10.3mm 1/30th F4.3 ISO100

Earlier this fall, turning yellow, but still a happy guy.
Pete, my favorite kitty... ever.. Was put down last Saturday because of advanced liver disease. He has been sick for two years, but he took a turn for the worse just before Thanksgiving. He was a sweet, funny good natured little guy who loved to eat, sleep and give kisses. We rescued Pete and his brother Leo from the pound over 12 years ago. I have always loved cats, and I loved Pete best of all...
--
Team Discovery
»lonls.wordpress.com/
»mysite.verizon.net/vze3jq4f/
»lonls.livejournal.com/

wanabegeek
1917-1987
Premium
join:2007-06-11
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:8

4 recommendations