NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan

Premium Member

[rant] 4 Hours to download Movie 8 seconds for a song

This really pisses me off. Apple seems to put limits on how fast you can download movies you rent/buy off iTunes. 2 hours for a 1.23gb movie to download. At the same time we also had songs in the purchase queue and they all downloaded in about 8 seconds each.

So much for getting a few new movies before I hit the road.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I think that most movie download services could learn a lot form how things work on Usenet (e.g. up to 10 connections for faster downloads). I regularly max out my 15mb/s connection on Usenet but never ever do on iTunes, Amazon, etc...
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
The server probably can't handle the load.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan

Premium Member

Movies used to download fast. You can not even get a SD movie to start in any amount of good time anymore.

Amazon does not have this issue and neither does the xbox 360.

Apple needs to get a kick in the butt. Hate to say it, but I wonder when the steve will go away. No reason that were paying all this money and can not even get a decent download speed.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by NOCMan:

Hate to say it, but I wonder when the steve will go away. No reason that were paying all this money and can not even get a decent download speed.
I'm sure it's Steve Jobs' fault your download speeds from Apple suck. He's out to make you suffer.

FWIW, I have always gotten 3MB/sec+ from Apple's servers on iTunes and software updates in recent years.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan

Premium Member

Yeah songs download fine. They're throttling movie downloads.

And yeah it probably the steve's fault. He's the CEO.
yabos
join:2003-02-16
London, ON

yabos to NOCMan

to NOCMan
How do you know it's "throttled"? I would be music and movies are on different sets of servers. They probably don't have enough servers for the movies yet.

joeybee
Joey
Premium Member
join:2003-08-12
Hamilton, ON

joeybee to Maggs

Premium Member

to Maggs
said by Maggs:

The server probably can't handle the load.
Apple uses Akamai services though. They should be able to handle the load.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9 to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
said by NOCMan:

Hate to say it, but I wonder when the steve will go away.
Movies download slowly. Off with his head. After all, he's only the man who saved Apple and revolutionized the way you use computers and enjoy your media. Can't tolerate slow download speeds from him. A criminal trial would be appropriate as well.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Mauricio9:

said by NOCMan:

Hate to say it, but I wonder when the steve will go away.
Movies download slowly. Off with his head.[...]A criminal trial would be appropriate as well.
Would the trial be before or after the beheading?

Mauricio9
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9

Premium Member

After the beheading, of course. Death by hanging would be an appropriate sentence.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

NOCMan to Mauricio9

Premium Member

to Mauricio9
Are you confusing mac os with Linux? Pretty closed source Drm laden products != revolution.

dave49er
join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA

dave49er to Mauricio9

to Mauricio9
said by Mauricio9:

After the beheading, of course. Death by hanging would be an appropriate sentence.
Yeah, behead him first, then hang him by the neck. That's the ticket.

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL

lunarPlexus

Premium Member

MacDraw and quarter.

gattaca
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
USA

gattaca to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
I don't understand the love affair with open source. When I choose a product, I base it on its functionality merits alone, not what development model it uses. And we already see Apple and others moving away from DRM, slowly but surely, so that point of contention (while legitimate), is becoming less of a problem everyday.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

2 edits

Mauricio9 to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
said by NOCMan:

Are you confusing mac os with Linux? Pretty closed source Drm laden products != revolution.

If DRM and slow download speeds are so offensive to you, why on earth do you stick with Apple? A wide-open Vista awaits you.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

NOCMan

Premium Member

I pay for a service and I expect it to work. Jobs said SD movies would start instantly and it has NEVER done that. I have a very fast internet connection more than double the minimum requirements for SD movies to start instantly so it should work.

Apple is clearly offering one class of service for music vs movie downloads. I guess their Rental service will get ignored like the Atv has the whole time. The new UI is crap compared to the other one, and is contrary to other Apple design principles.

Lets not start on the fact that 75% of the movies became RENT ONLY after the rental service started. I'd rather not have to buy DVD's and just purchase them through iTunes and use ATV's to display them on my displays. Unfortunately Apple is making this difficult and forcing me away to go out and buy the DVD's.

I also offer Apple praise where it's due, but if they screw up I will let them and everyone else know as well.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9 to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
Yes, like fire Steve Jobs. Great advice.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
How do you know your connection isn't throttled? Who is your ISP?

I've rented 2 SD movies so far, and they both started immediately.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by bobrk:

How do you know your connection isn't throttled? Who is your ISP?
According to the OP's mini bio with his post, his ISP is Verizon FiOS which definitely doesn't throttle downloads.

ifarrell
join:2000-08-10
Willow Spring, NC

ifarrell

I have recently rented three movies (two HD and one SD).
The HD ones started after 5 to 7 minutes and played non-stop.
The SD movie started after 5 seconds and played OK non-stop.
And this is on a mediocre 5Mb/s TW Cable TV line.
I'm damn sure Apple isn't doing any throttling otherwise I would have seen it this past weekend.
Maybe they just hate you.

FUDBuster
@qwest.net

FUDBuster

Anon

I call FUD on that one buddy. I have the same service and I've never gotten any SD/HD movies to start. Like OP said they have always been slow and music downloads are fast.

Now only if I could get FIOS then I could blame Apple for slow downloads vs just blaming my 5mbit connection and Apple at the same time.

On the same note Amazon is slow for me. Maybe it's a regional thing???
FUDBuster

FUDBuster

Anon

Posting from somewhere else before someone says ZOMG he's a Quest user