Search similar:

uniqs

Wilson
@optonline.net

Wilson to fios joe

Anon

to fios joe

Re: FIOS in Toms River, NJ

Curios about the router. I'm not truely understanding on how it provides channel guides, vod service and what not. Is the router also connected to your TV? I'm currently ordering Fios with the home media dvr as well as a digital adapter. Once the free offer is up I will likely be getting a Tivo with a cablecard. So how does the router come into play?

Reason is that I currently use my main router bridged to 2 other routers to provide access for each of my entertainment center where I have dvrs, video game system, etc.

ushimon
@verizon.net

ushimon to SpeedWagon4

Anon

to SpeedWagon4
Even though a big Philly sports fan, I decided to make the switch from Comcast to Fios last week. I am in Toms River. I believed that I would have no Philly channels in doing so. Flipping through channels tonight, to my surprise I found Philly ABC 6 (WPVI) in HD on channel 516 so I decided to look for more. The best news is on channel 582 I found Comcast Sportsnet. So now we have access to all Philly sports except the Eagles. Now we just need CBS and FOX in Philly and we will get the Eagles too. When were these channels added? When I got Fios a week ago, I flipped through all the channels and did not see them, although I could have missed them. Any insight?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Wilson

MVM

to Wilson
said by wilson75:

I'm not truely understanding on how it provides channel guides, vod service and what not.
The VZ STBs are IP devices that communicate with the LAN side of the router using MOCA (ethernet over coax). The VZ router acts as a MOCA bridge.

If you intend to run your own router, you should review the following FAQ:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

BTW, It is better to post questions such as this in their own thread, rather than have it get buried in a thread about availability in a specific area.
k1201ltc
join:2009-09-21
Toms River, NJ

k1201ltc to SpeedWagon4

to SpeedWagon4
Fios Joe,

We live on Wrangle Brook Rd. right off of 37E by the Comcast office. We are suffering from Comcast-itis and the doctor has mentioned that a long time treatment with a "new" drug called FiOS could cure us.

I am having issues getting a FiOS prescription in this area (underground services) and would like to know when do you think that a doctor like yourself will cure our neighborhood.

Thanks!
ceeg52
join:2010-01-24
Toms River, NJ

ceeg52 to SpeedWagon4

to SpeedWagon4
Hello SpeedWagon4,

I also live in TR and am considering the switch from Comcast to Fios. Can you tell me if you see a noticeable difference in picture quality? Any pros vs cons you cans share.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ceeg52
TurboDan
join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

1 edit

TurboDan to ushimon

to ushimon
said by ushimon :

Even though a big Philly sports fan, I decided to make the switch from Comcast to Fios last week. I am in Toms River. I believed that I would have no Philly channels in doing so. Flipping through channels tonight, to my surprise I found Philly ABC 6 (WPVI) in HD on channel 516 so I decided to look for more. The best news is on channel 582 I found Comcast Sportsnet. So now we have access to all Philly sports except the Eagles. Now we just need CBS and FOX in Philly and we will get the Eagles too. When were these channels added? When I got Fios a week ago, I flipped through all the channels and did not see them, although I could have missed them. Any insight?
Hey Bud,

There's an ongoing thread on this very topic. The bottom line is that Verizon seems to be getting the message that we Ocean County folk want both sets of local channels, since they added WPVI. But like you said, we really need WTXF (Fox) and KYW (CBS) as well - and hey, NBC10 can't hurt, either!

The good news is that this can and is being done in Mercer County, where they run both sets of local channels in both SD and HD. Why this wasn't done from the beginning in Ocean County apparently has to do with the fact that they're using a system based somewhere up north or something like that and pretty much just overlooked the demand around here.

They're facing enough backlash in Brick and Toms River by not carrying the locals, so I imagine it will only get worse as they expand their Ocean County network southward. There have always been tons of Eagles fans here, and with the BlueClaws in Lakewood and the recent World Series appearances, the Phils have never been so popular in this area. Luckily we're getting CSN Philly.

It's kind of silly to go backwards since Comcast has always offered both sets. And, if anything, Verizon should be getting an edge on Comcast by offering both sets in HD and satisfying all of the local sports fans who root for the Philadelphia teams and (like me) prefer Philadelphia news and weather. Hopefully they'll add the remaining channels soon. I suspect they added WPVI since they have the highest rated newscast by a mile.

See the other thread here: »Verizon adding Philly locals to Ocean County, NJ....?