justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

maximum number of open sockets, files, threads, etc..?

It is surprisingly hard to get accurate information on this.

My question is pretty simple. What are the global (machine wide) upper limits assuming all tweaking, for number of open FDs, number of open tcp (or udp) sockets, number of active threads.

I'm aware of some limits. For example, a small stack is needed to create lots of threads and then the machine won't let me create more than 25k threads (over 3 processes).

I don't think you can have more than 65k open FDs (globally?), at the least because it is a 16 bit quantity? and if you can't have more than 65k open FDs you can't have more than 65k open sockets either.. or (FDs+Sockets must total 65k) or something..

64 bit linux, machines with 65gb of memory: are these limits still the same?

evilghost
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Springville, AL

evilghost

Premium Member

Limits can be enforced using /etc/security/limits.conf but I'm not sure that's what you're asking.

Ulimit is probably what you're looking for...
ulimit -a

Or optionally, a manual approach:
Maximum number of open files: cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
Allocated, free allocated, and max FDs:  cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

I know that, but 'unlimited' actually isn't. So I'm after the real upper limits determined by kernel design ...

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme

MVM

UTSL!

Additionally, I'm sure one of the distros with good docs (Gentoo??) must have stuff like this spelled out somewhere.

evilghost
Premium Member
Springville, AL

evilghost to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

I know that, but 'unlimited' actually isn't. So I'm after the real upper limits determined by kernel design ...
Ok, use this approach:

#Maximum number of open files:
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max  

#Allocated, free allocated, and max FDs:
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr  

#Max threads:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max

#Max half-open TCP:
cat /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to sporkme

Mod

to sporkme
I've been googling for a while and the answers are unclear otherwise I wouldn't bother posting here.

In part because (for threads) it depends on the stack size you limit things to. For fds and sockets wanting more than 65k (especially per process, but per maybe per machine) is a very specialized thing.

Even this topic (on max threads) came to an uncertain resolution:

»lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/15/222

evilghost
Premium Member
Springville, AL

evilghost to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Max num of connections is handled by /proc/sys/net/core/optmem_max

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to evilghost

Mod

to evilghost
those are current max numbers, and they can be changed.

I'm after what the real upper limits actually are.

eg, from my lkml topic it seems that max number of processes (or threads) is 65k, and potentially 128k but then /proc blows up.

So presumably 65k open files (and therefore sockets) is a hard limit everywhere.

There are interesting implications. No you would not want 40k threads, or 40k processes, but you might want 100k simultaneous open tcp conversations. It isn't clear to me why this should be so difficult if the majority of the open conversations were idle.

Yet it appears to be an impossible task. Even on a 64bit machine with a whole pile of memory.
justin

justin to evilghost

Mod

to evilghost
said by evilghost:

Nope:
»www.linuxinsight.com/pro ··· max.html

evilghost
Premium Member
Springville, AL

1 edit

evilghost

Premium Member

said by justin:

said by evilghost:

Nope:
»www.linuxinsight.com/pro ··· max.html
Yep:
»linux.die.net/man/3/cmsg

Insufficient optmem results in failure to bind socket. tcp_rmem, net.core.rmem_max, net.core.wmem_max, and tcp_wmem also control socket allocation.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

that is ancillary memory per socket. The maximum number that can be open on a machine is capped by maximum FDs (an fd is a 16 bit number, right?), not total memory taken by all sockets.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Yeah, but fds are per-process indexes into a per-process table.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

ok, so you can set it to whatever you want for the box by echoing into file-max. So the theory limit is 1024x1024 (memory willing?) fds?

#define NR_OPEN (1024*1024) /* Absolute upper limit on fd num */
#define INR_OPEN 1024 /* Initial setting for nfile rlimits */
cvig
join:2003-12-31
Marquette, MI

1 edit

cvig to justin

to justin
Have you been following this:

»kerneltrap.org/Linux/Def ··· K_Stacks

If so, it's clear that a lot of these limits are "it depends". 64 bit or 32 bit? Etc... There is some good information there within the lkml thread on the page if you read between the main points.

It is surprising that the theoretical limits aren't discussed more -- it would be interesting to see some tests with the smallest possible thread size one could maintain to see the max number of threads in practice.

Have you found any concrete answers yet to any of your questions?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

no, and you are right. "it depends".

I think the kernel gods like to say that as you approach large numbers you "aren't doing things right", so they get less interested in the answers.

So if the current practical maximum number of threads is, say, 32000 .. it is of no interest to them that this is hard to achieve because no properly written application should require that many threads.

The issue of maximums comes up more often than it should because future web servers will need to handle 100,000+ concurrent connections. Apache still has one foot in the past and needs one process or thread per open connection. Lighttpd is a single process single thread and uses epoll() so appears to be limited by the maximum number of open file descriptors per process (which to me says it is till capped at 65k?).

"Comet" which is the next generation of "Ajax", requires a quantum leap on number of concurrent connections. Instead of Ajax scripts on each browser polling for answers, they want to hold open a connection, and get events. This is very useful for lots of things: dynamic displays of data, chat .. anything that changes can now change immediately yet take no resources in polling when there are no changes to be made. Such a more logical way of doing things. Google is already using it all over: google chat, finance.google.com for example.

But of course "comet" needs a web infrastructure (front end servers, load balancers, routers, firewalls, web servers, application servers) that is much better at far more simultaneously open connections.

And funnily enough it becomes a lot easier to handle denial of service attacks as well: something that can handle 100k+ open connections can easily limit to a few per IP address, and easily identify and kill ones that misbehave. Half of a good denial of service attack is to try to open too many active connections and hold them (the other half is flooding).
cvig
join:2003-12-31
Marquette, MI

1 edit

cvig

nginx is another interesting HTTP server -- on their website they claim 10,000 inactive HTTP keep-alive connections consume only 2.5M. From the LKML thread though it sounds like the real limitation is 32-bit with 8K stack. If you go 64-bit a lot of the limitations will be eased (at least in terms of max threads).

»nginx.net/

This sounds like the ideal time to bring up ideas of making a test program .

shdesigns