spc
uniqs
cvig
join:2003-12-31
Marquette, MI

1 edit

cvig to justin

to justin

Re: maximum number of open sockets, files, threads, etc..?

nginx is another interesting HTTP server -- on their website they claim 10,000 inactive HTTP keep-alive connections consume only 2.5M. From the LKML thread though it sounds like the real limitation is 32-bit with 8K stack. If you go 64-bit a lot of the limitations will be eased (at least in terms of max threads).

»nginx.net/

This sounds like the ideal time to bring up ideas of making a test program .

BeesTea
Internet Janitor
Premium Member
join:2003-03-08

1 edit

BeesTea

Premium Member

said by cvig:

nginx is another interesting HTTP server
Unrelated to the thread topic, but of interest.

This happens to have been the HTTPd of choice of the authors of stormworm, the much discussed malware. It's in fact so unique, many vendors chose to trigger IDS on its banner.

For example:Cisco Intellishield

Edit: Changed tense

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

I like this part:
quote:
Because web connections aren’t as long lived as IMAP connections, we stayed with Apache for our frontends for a while longer. However we’ve now switched over to using nginx for our frontend web proxy as well, which has also allowed us to increase the keep-alive timeout for HTTP connections to 5 minutes, which should result in a small perceptible improvement when moving between pages.

The net result of all this is that each frontend proxy server currently maintains over 10,000 simultaneous IMAP, POP, Web & SMTP connections (including many SSL ones) using only about 10% of the available CPU on 3.20GHz Netburst Xeon based CPUs.
nginx seems to have done it right: a small amount of processes each using epoll. If the kernel doesn't waste a whole heap of memory with each open connection, this would scale really well.
justin

justin to BeesTea

Mod

to BeesTea
dammit .. now I read some more about nginx, I want to change our front end. Which means converting a bunch of ReWrite rules, testing and so on and so forth.

But since it offers proper limits per simultaneous IP and such huge scalability and such immense capacity for KeepAlive and open but quiet connections, I can't see why to stick with apache2