spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RitaCeleste

join:2008-04-25

WildBlue Bandwidth Fictional!

I got the big package 17000MB of download. I monitored my bandwidth for 30 days. Calling DishNetwork alot because WildBlue's monitor was way off. At the end of 30 days, I had used about 42% of my allotted bandwidth according to my Bandwidth Monitor, WildBlue's monitor showed 67%!!! They still tried to lecture me about 30 day rolling bandwidth. I explained I had logged my bandwidth for 30 days, I knew what should be falling off. I also had to explain that 1% of 17000MB is 170MG and it should take 170MB to move me 1%. I only had access to 75% of the bandwidth I paid for, that puts me in a smaller package. I know its only $10 but hey I want the 4000MB I paid for instead.
Its happening again this month too. Its going more points than TWO bandwidth monitors on my computer indicate it should go up. Alot more, at this rate I won't get close to having access to 12,000MB even.
Has anyone used a regular bandwidth monitor and how does that compare to WildBlue's monitor? And why on earth should theirs be off by THAT much?

RitaCeleste

To top it WildBlue closed my repair ticket saying only that they do not support third party applications!!! WildBlue LIES about the bandwidth they are selling you, they lie about your usage, and they refuse to stop making false claims about what you get with their packages!!! They are a scam. I am so glad I have filed a complaint at the Better Business Bureau!!!

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10

1 edit
reply to RitaCeleste
Take a look at my thread Fictional FAP Usage. Since the change over to Google Mail on Feb. 28, 2008, my FAP meter has been behaving erratically and there has been an increase of complaints about it reading inaccurately. I have an older thread showing the FAP meter to have been much more stable for the last year: FAP Flap Follow-Up. I have posted detailed graphs in these threads comparing my actual usage to the usage reported by my FAP meter.

There is a program called Fapzilla that reads your FAP meter and saves the data in a text file on your hard drive. You can use Task Scheduler to make it periodically read your FAP. It also allows you to read the counter in your router and save the reading in the text file. This data can be plotted using a spread sheet to show you exactly what is happening. Having such detailed data would allow you to make a more convincing argument to the BBB.

As best as I have been able to piece together, WB has two counters that measure your usage. The FAP meter that we can read seems to be located in the gateway with a user server located elsewhere (in Utah?). There is another counter located in your modem that only WB can read using the SVT (Service Visibility Tool). If the counter in your modem agrees with your FAP meter, WB will ignore your claims of fictional usage.

Are you aware of the end-of-month flat line in the FAP meter? WB can use it to argue that they are actually underreporting your usage. A customer can use it as a free-for-all for uploads and downloads on the 30th and 31st of each month. Learn how to beat the FAP algorithm.
--
Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

RitaCeleste

reply to RitaCeleste
I found out it will cost me $350 to get out of my contract. I've crunched the numbers. $400 for HugesNet, $100 rebate, that will leave me with $400 or so when I'm done. Plus I get 3:00AM to 6:00AM to download all I can free of FAP. All WildBlue says is they don't care what other apps say. They say I must blindly believe they are honest??? Please.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
If you are downloading hundreds of megabytes per hour, HughesNet's FAP will slow you down in short order. Wildblue caps your 30 day rolling usage but allows you to choose when you use your connection. HughesNet's FAP is like a nanny watching over your shoulder making sure you spread out your usage, never allowing you to do too much all at once. WB's FAP is better because it allows more freedom.

RitaCeleste

reply to RitaCeleste
yeah, I have to agree with that one. There are things I like about WildBlue. If I can unhook for 30 days and I go back to zero, I'll most likely stay. But so far bandwidth hasn't dropped off well. It adds it up just fine though. I put an end to the one site that seemed to cause the modem so many problems, we'll see if that was it. Then again, I can download alot in 3 hours of freetime. I will try to finish out my contract with WildBlue if there is anyway to make it work for me. So far, it has eaten threw bandwidth my computer never saw, bandwidth doesn't always drop off like it should. What I get and what I pay for are two totally different things.

reedsr12

join:2008-03-08
Terre Haute, IN
reply to RitaCeleste
I had success with this earlier this month, I filed a complaint with the BBB in the home state of wild blue. I asked to be released with no penalty since the service was so bad. My wildblue was through dish I also placed their name on the complaint. a few weeks later a dish network representative contacted me about the complaint, asked me a few questions about the complaint and then informed me that they would provide a waiver to exit from the contract with no termination fees. I

I was able to cancel the wild blue service a couple of days later, and so far I haven't seen any attempts from wild blue to make charges to any of my accounts.

I was as surprised as anyone to see the BBB actually work for me, and I am hoping that since the account was through dish I will be shielded further from erroneous/errant billing from wild blue.

RitaCeleste

reply to RitaCeleste
Well, after looking into Hugesnet, I find it would have been a better choice for me. WildBlue's software causes your bandwidth to be eaten up before anything reaches your computer it seems. There is nothing wrong with the sites we visit, the fault lies with WildBlue's software. DishNetwork is suppose to handle service and they do it poorly. They do not explain the flaws in the system, they simply try to make excuses for WildBlue and blame the customer for problems that are WildBlue's. WildBlue doesn't respond to them when they do file work ticket. Oh well, if they let me out of out it would be GREAT! But if not, I may not be able to afford to get out.

RitaCeleste

reply to RitaCeleste
The month of April I used 44% of my bandwidth. May 1 I was at 73%. That is 29% of my bandwidth stolden by WildBlue. A certain % of my bandwidth looks like simple stuffing. A set rate of 25% to 30% never rolls off but always just sits there. To prove this I would have to unhook the modem for 30 days. Actually I am keeping a record of what their monitor says and my usage based on my monitors. So really its easily provable with the data I have. I want out of my contract due to the bandwidth stuffing. They can claim its overhead but overhead bandwidth of atleast 25% is entirely too high.