ttiiggy
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy

Premium Member

[Word] Word document opens two windows

Click for full size
When I open an existing document in MS Word, there is also another window of MS Word that opens with no document.

Occasionally, when I start MS Outlook, MS Word opens with no document.

I don't have Word set to be an email editor or default HTML editor.

None of this is earth shattering, it is just an annoyance.

Suggestions?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

can you enable macro protection, set it to high
»kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/pag ··· ?id=2371

just to check if there some kind of macro creating new docs.

Cudni

ttiiggy
Premium Member
Bozeman, MT

1 edit

ttiiggy

Premium Member

Office 2003.
It was set on High. I will try even higher...

edit:
Well setting it on VeryHigh seems to have fixed it. I don't know what changed. I don't know what made it act different. I know I didn't change THAT!
ttiiggy

ttiiggy to Cudni

Premium Member

to Cudni
Click for full size
It is doing it again. It quit for a while.

Now, whenever I have Outlook open and I double click to write a new e-mail, I get a blank Word window that opens and I can't close it. Even when I close the e-mail window, I can't get Word to go away until I close completely out of Outlook.

I expected to find that Word was set to be my e-mail editor or something, but I can't find where it says.

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

The reason why Outlook opens Word must be because you have "Word Mail" active (i.e., you have Word as your email editor -- which I believe is the default). If you select to not use Word as your email editor (set in Outlook), then you won't see Word open.

BUT... that is not really your problem. Something is corrupt when Word is starting. So... what controls how Word starts? I know it includes Normal.dot, but there may be other files that are important. Humor me. Search for Normal.dot and rename it Normal.dot.old. Then try to start Word.

I think if you have no Normal.dot, Word should create a generic one on-the-fly. If not, let us know.

ttiiggy
Premium Member
Bozeman, MT

1 edit

ttiiggy

Premium Member

said by R2:

Humor me. Search for Normal.dot and rename it Normal.dot.old. Then try to start Word.
Normal.dot gone. I deleted ALL of them. Outlook still makes Word open with no document. I didn't even open Word yet!

Opened Word. Closed Word. It has not recreated a new 'Normal.dot'.

Problem still exists with Outlook causing a blank Word page to open up if I open to send a new mail message.

Any more suggestions?

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

R2

MVM

What version of Outlook is it? I read this:

"You can no longer disable Word Mail in Outlook 2007. You would have to uninstall Word"

I don't have 2007, so I don't know if that is true. In other versions of Outlook, Word Mail can be turned off under Tools | Options | Mail Format | Use Microsoft Office Word to edit...

Does Word also still do the same thing as well?

ttiiggy
Premium Member
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy

Premium Member

said by R2:

What version of Outlook is it? I read this:

In other versions of Outlook, Word Mail can be turned off under Tools | Options | Mail Format | Use Microsoft Office Word to edit...

Does Word also still do the same thing as well?
First Picture: Office 2003.

Second Picture: OOPS. Maybe that will fix it. I swear it wasn't checked before...

Word sometimes opens two windows. Not always.

I will have to see what happens after I reboot from this change.
ttiiggy

ttiiggy

Premium Member

Yay! That seems to have fixed Outlook.

I am still getting 2 windows when I open Word.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

OK, does anyone know *what else* Word needs to process as it starts?? I can only remember Normal.dot.

Next - does this happen when you Open Word directly (i.e., double-clicking WinWord.exe) AND when you open a document (i.e., double-clicking a pre-existing .doc file)?

ttiiggy
Premium Member
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy

Premium Member

said by R2:

Next - does this happen when you Open Word directly (i.e., double-clicking WinWord.exe) AND when you open a document (i.e., double-clicking a pre-existing .doc file)?
Yes. Yes. Both.

I tried from shortcut. I tried from actual document. I tried from recent documents shortcut. I tried clicking directly on the actual WinWord.exe in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 .

Still comes up with the document and a BLANK Word window in front of the document.

I don't know what else to do. This has turned into one of those little PITA things.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

You might try a "Repair" of MS Office (under Add/Remove Programs).

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to ttiiggy

Premium Member

to ttiiggy
Have you checked the options in Word? At least the Outlook part has been taken care of, but check if there is an option checked in Word. Also, you can try this, delete the Normal.dot file, reboot then open Word. One last thing, check the C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp folder and delete everything that is in there. You may want to check C:\WINNT (or Windows)\Temp folder as well and delete the temp files if any.

ttiiggy
Premium Member
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy to R2

Premium Member

to R2
I did delete all the Normal.dot files (several) that I found different places. Didn't seem to change anything.
Even after I opened Word it didn't recreate one.

I did a "Repair" of MS Office. It looks like it fixed it.
At least it didn't jam open a blank word page like before.
Even after the Repair there isn't a Normal.dot file.

I also went in and got rid of the temp files anyway.

Yay. This MIGHT be fixed.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Good news. Try to modify something in Word -- like the Default Font. Then, I must suspect, Normal.dot will be created. (Not that it matters, but Normal.dot is supposed to contain your personal customizations to Word).