spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Sherman TX
@cableone.net

Sherman TX

Anon

Possible to get Soho at home?

I was just wondering if it is possible to upgrade to SOHO from Residential pro? I know there are some Cableone employees around here, and thought i would ask. It is listed just like another tier, and i don't see why they would be against taking $37 more of my money every month.

I would love to have the higher bandwidth caps and upload speeds, and don't mind paying the extra $$ per month, maybe not every month mind you, but sometimes when i am playing a lot of Xbox Live and want to host a lot it can get annoying to hit the cap, or only have 700KB of upload.

I called the local office once, but don't think the person who answered the phone had a brain large enough to grasp what i was suggesting. I thought SOHO stood for Small or Home office, but the lady on the fun didn't seem to agree with me.

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

areoh

Yup, you sure can. But, search around for my old posts. Don't expect to have the same performance.

For whatever reason, when I experimented with the SOHO plan for several days, I was never getting the full 8.0 DL as we get w/ Res Pro. Cable one could never explain why but I assume it was routing issues.

Also, upload speeds where only around 500 to 600; never near the full 1MB.

But, there's no reason you can't give it a try and downgrade if you don't see results.

Sherman TX
@cableone.net

Sherman TX to Sherman TX

Anon

to Sherman TX
Thanks for the reply, i am glad to hear that it's easy to upgrade and downgrade, and that as i suspected the lady i talked to was incorrect.

I was a bit afraid that if i ever did convince her to let me upgrade that i might have trouble getting them to let me downgrade. She made it sound like i HAD to be in a retail space to get it, and that if i was in a retail space i wasn't eligible for the plan i already had and would be forced into the higher rate.

Around here the performance has been phenomenal, on the Pro plan i get 10000+kb/s sustained download and 650+kb/s sustained upload. Which is a pretty good margin over the 5000/512 i was promised (i signed up before the plan changes, but since day 1 have seen the 10000kb+ DL and faster than usual UL). So i have high hopes that the upgrade will not effect or perhaps increase my DL a bit, and give me that extra leg room in UL and a larger bandwidth cap.

Right now i don't think i need it, but if i start playing a lot of online games that i have the option of hosting or need to upload a lot i will give it a shot. Just good to know the option exists should i want to try it.

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

areoh to Sherman TX

to Sherman TX
Yup, if you do give it a try, let us know what results you see. We may try the SOHO plan again this fall, but at this time, we don't really need the extra headroom.
firstof9
join:2003-06-09
Phoenix, AZ

firstof9 to Sherman TX

to Sherman TX
The SoHo plan is available to Residential customers. I believe the going rate is $99.95/mth on SoHo plans.