spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wispman3
join:2004-12-21
USA

wispman3

NS2 and PS2

Long time since I've posted anything here. Good to see the regulars are still here. Anyway. It looks like the PS2 sucked at first be mike from UBNT says this in an email I just got.

"> Yes we stopped production for 6 months and switched manufacturing
> > facilities. The problems with the initial batch were just bad QC at the
CM.
> > As of late December they are rock solid"

So, anyone used them since the "rock solid" ones started shipping? Any ideas on how the PS2 and NS2 stack up against each other?
slipstream1
Premium Member
join:2005-11-15
Jacksonville, TX

slipstream1

Premium Member

I am using the rock solid versions and am impressed so far. I have 2 18 dbi vertical units and 5 17 dbi dual polarity units in the field. I also have 3 NS2 units in the field and I have been extremely impressed with them, as well. They seem to handle marginal links better than my old 2.4 CPE and if there is interference in the area, they can handle a certain amount of that. I am on the verge of going with the PS2/NS2 on all of my 2.4 clients going forward. I want them to sit out there and go through a few thunderstorms and see how they are fairing after that. I am also happy with the new AirOS 3.0 firmware upgrade. It seems to improve the signal levels just a little or it just reports better.

Overall, I would give them a glowing review and you cannot beat the price for what you get.
tx_tower
join:2007-11-13
Blanco, TX

tx_tower

what kind of thruput and what distance are these things getting, also what kind of AP are you using?
slipstream1
Premium Member
join:2005-11-15
Jacksonville, TX

slipstream1

Premium Member

I am deploying the NS2 within 1.5 miles of the tower and doing internet speed tests the things will max out my bonded pair of T-1's. The PS2 are varing from 2 miles to 5 miles and will do the same throughput as the NS2. I have not had time to do any file transfers across the links, but they sure surf the internet very nicely. My AP's are Mikrotik.
expert007
join:2006-01-10
Buffalo, NY

expert007 to wispman3

to wispman3
I'm considering the ins and outs of using the NS2 vs the NS5. I have a need for bandwidth, and I'd like to stay out of the crowded 2.4GHz space, hence I lean towards the NS5. My concern is range. I'm going to be using them in WDS/AP mode to talk to a base NS, but I'm hoping to find out what the range limitations are as compared to the 2.4 stuff. Can i expect 50% range?? 30%??

Thanks!

gmcintire
Graham
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Blue Ridge, TX

gmcintire

Premium Member

It depends on the terrain, AP height, etc as to how 5 GHz will differ. Have you considered using 10 MHz channels on 2.4? If you don't need as much bandwidth it's a good option even in a crowded area.
expert007
join:2006-01-10
Buffalo, NY

expert007

I didn't even realize this was possible. Thats good to hear, because I already know that most of our installations are going to be in locations that are full of APs. Is there somewhere that I can familiarize myself with the practical usage of 10MHz channels?

Thanks for the suggestion.