join:2002-05-21

SUMware2

Premium Member

Facebook - Personal Data Theft

From The BBC
1 May 2008 -
said by BBC :
Identity 'at risk' on Facebook

Personal details of Facebook users could potentially be stolen, the BBC technology programme Click has found.

The popular social networking site allows users to add a variety of applications to their profile.

But a malicious program, masquerading as a harmless application, could potentially harvest personal data.

We have discovered a way to steal the personal details of you and all your Facebook friends without you knowing.

We wrote an evil data mining application called Miner, which, if we wanted, could masquerade as a game, a test, or a joke of the day. It took us less than three hours.

But whatever it looks like, in the background, it is collecting personal details, and those of the users' friends, and e-mailing them out of Facebook, to our inbox.

When you add an application, unless you say otherwise, it is given access to most of the information in your profile. That includes information you have on your friends even if they think they have tight security settings.

It certainly seems that Facebook's standard security settings are not sufficient to protect your personal information, and those of your friends.
Visit site for information.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

Facebook has been in the news before, same reasons. This is one reason I stay clear of places like Facebook.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to SUMware2

Premium Member

to SUMware2
Every time I see a friend has installed some application, I go to the application page and block it.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

1 edit

chrisretusn

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

Every time I see a friend has installed some application, I go to the application page and block it.
Don't quite understand, is this a facebook thing?

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by chrisretusn:
said by donoreo:

Don't quite understand, is this a facebook thing?
That is the topic of discussion.