All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
garmst
join:2000-09-17
New York, NY

garmst

No marketing? You'll pay more for probably everything.

All those web sites would go away.

Wow! THIS web site would likely go away. Is that bad? After all, who'll pay the bills?

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Not to be rude but what the hell are you trying to say?It's hard to make it out without some clear language.

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather to garmst

Premium Member

to garmst
No they won't. They'll just continue to use traditional banner ads just as they do now. The only think that will change is that they won't be able to use your private browsing behavior to market to you.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
said by andyb:

Not to be rude but what the hell are you trying to say?It's hard to make it out without some clear language.
He is trying to say that without ads most of the FREE web sites would dry up and blow away. And when ads are opt-in, very very few will accept them. End result - opt-in if made a regulated mandate for the whole internet could result in a web where you pay a la carte for all the web sites you want.

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

1 edit

Dogfather

Premium Member

Perhaps I'm misreading the article.

The only thing they're talking about being Opt-In are the browse history snooping behavioral advertising being opt in.

Meaning you have to opt in to having your browsing history turned over to the likes of Nebu-Ad and used to serve particular ads based on that history. Regular banner and/or pop-up ads aren't affected.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Dogfather:

Perhaps I'm misreading the article.

The only thing they're talking about being Opt-In are the browse history snooping behavioral advertising being opt in.

Meaning you have to opt in to having your browsing history turned over to the likes of Nebu-Ad and used to serve particular ads based on that history. Regular banner and/or pop-up ads aren't affected.
You are reading it correctly. But I think the earlier poster was making a point that making ads, in general, opt-in would be a disaster for the free web we all now know.

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

I'd say yeah (opt in only) for email, fax, telephone and other marketing that costs the END USER time and money to receive, but banner ads are little more than commercials and totally justified.

The 1st amendment should end when it starts to cost ME money.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to garmst

Premium Member

to garmst
said by garmst:

All those web sites would go away.

Wow! THIS web site would likely go away. Is that bad? After all, who'll pay the bills?
toolpoints