how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikeap

join:2002-08-17
Malibu, CA

How can I switch FIOS coax to ethernet

My lazy installer used the coax to send the data to my office, even though I had a brand new ethernet wire labeled FIOS. He then proceeded to put it into the Actiontec modem.

I want to use the ethernet connection from the ONT to my own router. No coax use(so I can one day use it for TV in that room) and no actiontec because it is crap and I have my own router.

My question is, how can I do this switch or do I have to call Verizon?

My guess would be log into the Actiontec, release the Mac address, turn off the actiontec, plug in the ethernet into the ONT, put the other end into my router and startup router?
This of course seems too simple since we are dealing with Verizon.

Can anyone shed some light on this or has anyone done this before?

michael

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

From what I have heard on the forums:

You can get it switched from coax to ethernet. No you can't do it yourself. It is typically a hassle although it just depends on who you get. A lot of people try to tell you a tech must visit it to get this done but if you talk to the right person they should be able to switch it from coax -> ethernet over the phone without a tech visit.
--
Chugging along on 3x 6016/768k DSL Extreme DSL lines and one 3008/512 ATT DSL DIrect line for a combined total of just over 18 meg download and 2350 up. yay!

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA
reply to mikeap

This has been asked a number of times. You cannot do it strictly by yourself, because someone has to enable the ethernet jack. (You can try doing it over in the Verizon Direct forum: »Verizon Direct )

Of course, you don't have to do this. There are instructions here on how to make the Actiontec a bridge:

»How-to: make ActionTec MI424-WR a network bridge

If you ever get TV, you can simply split the coax in that room. (You'll also need the Actiontec if you ever get TV, since it also acts as the NIM for the set-top boxes...)

vz1

@verizon.net
reply to mikeap

run cat5 to ethernet jack in ont and call the FSC and request to have a network tech change ont to ethernet.some reps can also do it for you.You can do it yourself

Telcoguru
Premium
join:2005-08-22
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to mikeap

Did you ask him to use Ethernet or did you leave the room and he did what he normally does? Calling him lazy is a bit dramatic. He did the job that he is told to do by his supervisors. As the customer if you want something different it is up to you to make sure things are done to your satisfaction.

Expand your moderator at work

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Telcoguru

Re: How can I switch FIOS coax to ethernet

said by Telcoguru:

Did you ask him to use Ethernet or did you leave the room and he did what he normally does? Calling him lazy is a bit dramatic. He did the job that he is told to do by his supervisors.
Very true, standard practice for an install nowadays is to use Coax between the ONT and the Router.

The Tech was not being lazy at all, just doing what they were trained to do.

If you had run the Cat5 yourself, did you expressly ask the tech to use it, and did they refuse??

Or did you expect to simply label it FIOS and hope that the tech would automatically figure it out??

If you don't detail what you were intending to have done, and explained your unique situation, for all the tech knows the other end of that Cat5 cable could be wired into a 120 Volt AC outlet.

The FSC can toggle the ONT to use the Ethernet port, but make sure you install your own RJ-45 connectors on the ends of the Cat5, and remember to release the IP from the Actiontec, before connecting your own router.

If you subscribe to the TV service in the future, you will need to use the Actiontec anyway, and know how to convert it to a bridge for your own router.

Be advised, there are no hidden switches on the ONT to make the conversion yourself(don't start taking things apart to look for one either),
the Network Techs at the FSC must do it for you via software on the WAN(fiber) side of the ONT.
--
"Lithium is no longer available on credit"
Expand your moderator at work

NbWY1

join:2003-05-23
Columbia, MD

1 edit
reply to mikeap

Re: How can I switch FIOS coax to ethernet

My guy refused to do ethernet, I asked him to twice. Then asked if it were policy to do MoCA/Coax, and he said yes.

Robotek

@optonline.net
reply to mikeap

Don't know how they do things in CA but here in NY all Buisness customers are configured with ethernet by default unless the customer specifically request Coax when ordering the service.
Since the Actiontec router is the only one currently able to negotiate VOd with the STBs you WILL need it if you have FIOS TV. Otherwise connect your Ethernet cable to the ONT and the Actiontec, then call the FSC to reconfigure the ONT to Ethernet. they will be able to see the router and make the change without sending a tech. when the switch is made and your actiontec is working on ethernet you can then switch to your own router or even directly to your PC

foff6676

join:2008-07-15
Trenton, NJ
reply to mikeap

On a very similar note, I just had Fios installed today(had their dsl but I was a good distance from the "hub" so it was flaky at times). Previously I had my westell modem bridged & was running a netgear VPN router since I work from home, anyways The guy installed it via coax originally but couldn't get the netgear to work(probably needed to be bridged again) but he told me he could run an ethernet cable and try that. In the end the ethernet cable was probably a big mistake because even hooking that directly to my pc creates a connection issue and it appears that I cannot bridge my router going this route.

So my question I suppose is can I go BACK to the coax connection without contacting verizon? if so, how?

Thanks for the help guys,
Bill

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by foff6676:

So my question I suppose is can I go BACK to the coax connection without contacting verizon? if so, how?

Thanks for the help guys,
Bill
You can't, there's a switch they flip. I'm fairly certain you can request the switch here: »Verizon Direct

This assumes you still have the Actiontec. If you want to bridge that and still use your Netgear, check out the FAQs »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 2): Internet only, no TV

P.S. Seems very odd you're having connection issues via ethernet -- might be an indication of some more serious is wrong.

foff6676

Trenton, NJ

Thanks darcilicious, actually I have NO problems connecting with the ethernet(as long as it is fed into the actiontec router and then to my pc or via wireless). The problem is that if I run the either net line directly to a pc it won't connect, which I did find odd but the tech told me it might be something verizon changed recently :shrug:

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit
reply to foff6676

The Public IP is mac address bound to whatever it is connecting on. Is the Actiontec working on the Cat5e?

You have to release the IP from inside the Actiontec, then connect your router. Don't bridge it.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to foff6676

said by foff6676:

The guy installed it via coax originally but couldn't get the netgear to work(probably needed to be bridged again) but he told me he could run an ethernet cable and try that.
If you have an ethernet connection to the ONT, you do NOT want to go back to coax, and if you can avoid bridging, then you want to avoid that also.

Not clear if the ethernet cable you're referring to is between the Actiontec WAN port and the ONT, or between a Actiontec LAN port and the Netgear.

Assuming that the Actiontec is connected to the ONT via cat5 and that you don't have FIOS TV, it's an easy matter to swap out the Actiontec and use the Netgear as your primary router. darcilicious See Profile already posted the FAQ instructions for doing so. It is important that you follow the instructions for releasing the DHCP address of the Actiontec before disconnecting it, or you won't get a connection to the Netgear (or your PC if you connect that directly).

foff6676

Trenton, NJ

I do not have fios TV

He originally ran cat5 from the ONT to the actriontec but the netgear couldn't connect so he then ran ethernet from the ONT to the netgear & it still wouldn't connect, then from the ONT directly to the pc & it still wouldn't connect, then from the ONT directly to the actriontec to my pc & all was well but with no way to connect my router apparently.

foff6676

Trenton, NJ
reply to JohnA

its actually setup for both however my Cat5 is currently in a down status & ethernet has a connected status

JohnA
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to foff6676

Follow these instructions:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 2): Internet only, no TV

JohnA
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to foff6676

said by foff6676:

its actually setup for both however my Cat5 is currently in a down status & ethernet has a connected status
Only one can be active at a time, and you can't change it. Use the ethernet, and follow the instructions in that link. Do not bridge your router.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to foff6676

said by foff6676:

That's the way you want it. Only one broadband connection can be active at a time and to switch requires a a call to the FSC, or a post in the »Verizon Direct forum.

Logon to the Actiontec. Go to My Network; Network Connections; Broadband (ethernet); Settings; Write down the MAC address. Click RELEASE; The main status page should now show "connecting". Immediately disconnect the cat5 WAN cable from the Actiontec.

Connect the Netgear. Force the Netgear to pull a DHCP address. If you can't get a DHCP address on the Netgear, clone the MAC address you wrote down from the Actiontec into the Netgear and try to pull a DHCP address again.

If you still can not successfully get a DHCP address, call the FSC and ask them to break the DHCP lease. Sometimes (rarely) that is the only way to get a new router to pull a DHCP address.