uniqs
share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Do red cars get pulled over more then any other color?

I say no my mothers says yes.. She is debating over the car i'm getting since it's already hard enough to find them in a sedan she says red is not a good color and I'm going to get pulled over a lot of times.

I don't see any proof. Anyone agree with me?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
I have long heard this, and also that insurance rates are higher with red cars...I am not so sure.
--
BlockNews.Net

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Subaru
I don't know. I was pulled over a couple of times when I drove a red 1966 Mustang as a teenager. I always deserved it.

I drove a "Laser Red" (it was really, really red) 2003 Saab 9-3 Turbo Sport Sedan from late 2002 through last summer. I frequently drove pretty fast. I was never pulled over in it.

Tim
--
"Love consists in overestimating the difference between one woman and another" - George Bernard Shaw
~ Project Hope ~

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I got pulled over in a black car because but thats because it was something unrelated and I was not speeding.

nonameyet
I Make Them Ring..Ring
Premium
join:2000-12-19
Sellersville, PA
reply to Subaru
Depends on which shade of Red...

Arrest Me Red, on a Corvette or Mustang will usually do it.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I say no my mothers says yes.. She is debating over the car i'm getting since it's already hard enough to find them in a sedan she says red is not a good color and I'm going to get pulled over a lot of times.

I was watching a talk but show don't remember which one it's been years ago. There was a retired state police deputy on the program that have written a book on traffic enforcement and what to look for.
He said if a black car and a red car was speeding the law would pull over the red car. He said they associate red color as being fast and are probably always will be speeding more then a black car.
--
Caddy

bbrcat
RIP Lisa
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Subaru

BinaryXtreme6

join:2004-04-20
Sparks, NV

1 edit
reply to Subaru
I drove a 1984 Pontiac Fiero SE show car for years. Had Ferrari side skirts, whale tail, and front air dam. Very catchy to the eye and I never had more issues with police. As a matter of fact, I got pulled over twice and was warned I was speeding but the police officer was more interested in my car than the ticket. Higher insurance rates are a myth. Call any insurance company and they'll tell you the same. Car was fire red.

Bankrate.com advises:

One myth says that insurance companies charge higher premiums for red cars. Allstate and Progressive say that a car's color has no bearing on the premiums they charge.

Derspankster
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Marion, OH
reply to Subaru
I drove a red BMW for 10 years and never got pulled over. I was careful where I hammered it.
--
I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong

penguins4evr
Premium
join:2002-01-17
reply to Subaru
According to an article at Snopes.com:

Claim: Red cars are ticketed for speeding more often than vehicles of other colors.

--
Team Discovery
"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Subaru
There are enough people speeding excessively or doing otherwise stupid or illegal things on the road there's no reason for cops to target cars of any particular color. I've driven bright red cars exclusively for the past 15 years (currently on an '06 WRX) and never been pulled over.
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

davidcb13

join:2004-02-06
Branchville, NJ
said by Cabal:

There are enough people speeding excessively or doing otherwise stupid or illegal things on the road there's no reason for cops to target cars of any particular color. I've driven bright red cars exclusively for the past 15 years (currently on an '06 WRX) and never been pulled over.
You drive a WRX and have never been pulled over?....impressive

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI
reply to Subaru
theres no actual facts to support that

BUT i'm fairly sure if you've ever seen a 'arrest me red' car, it caught your attention, if it catches your attention, chances are it will catch a cop's attention

goes for any car really

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 edit
reply to Subaru
I've always heard yes, and the logic behind the argument is because the eye is attracted to the bright colors.... while the other colors (eg white) tend more to blend in.

The idea being if an officer is watching a flow of traffic, his eye will naturally be drawn to the bright red colored vehicle....

There's been some studies regarding car color and accidents--- but not one I'm aware of about car colors and pull overs/tickets etc.

Apparently there is some evidence that car color can effect accident rates or severity--- probably linked to visibility.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
I never seen a red car get pulled over here in awhile and thats on the highway or in town..

but I see many other colors speed like silver or black...

expert007

join:2006-01-10
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru
Fact: Cars covered in blood have a disproportionally high rate of being pulled over.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Listen to your Mamma.

pilotsr

join:2002-08-08
Twentynine Palms, CA
reply to Subaru
We recently moved to North Carolina back in November of '07. After registering my car and getting my tag, I was pulled over twice for "speeding" the same week that I registered my car. Once by the Mooresville gestapo, and once by the town police.

I drive an older model red Audi that still looks as if she just rolled off the showroom floor. I am not sure if it is the fact that it is a European car driving around in American-Muscle territory, or the bright red color that draws attention. I do know after the second time being pulled over, I slapped on a Confederate Flag novelty plate on the front and I have yet to be pulled over since.

I did hire an attorney, and both of the tickets were dismissed. These small towns are really corrupt, and I am missing NY real bad!

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
reply to Subaru
You will get pulled over if the car is red from blood...

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Why would a law enforcement officer have Reasonable Suspicion to stop a RED car? We were just talking about this a few days ago.

quote:
Reasonable suspicion is a legal standard in United States law that a person has been, is, or is about to be, engaged in criminal activity based on specific and articulable facts and inferences. It is the basis for an investigatory or Terry stop by the police and requires less evidence than probable cause, the legal requirement for arrests and warrants. Reasonable suspicion is evaluated using the "reasonable person" or "reasonable officer" standard, in which said person in the same circumstances could reasonably believe a person has been, is, or is about to be, engaged in criminal activity;
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_suspicion
So, according to our training, and the definition, how would the color of the car indicate a crime has, is, or is going to be committed? There is none.
Now, this doesn't mean the LEO won't follow the car until a violation does occur and then make a stop.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
Check Out the Tech Bench »johndball.blaize.net/index.php/tech-bench/
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
reply to Subaru
If this is true it's a lawsuit bomb waiting to explode...

emptywig
Huh? What?
Premium
join:2002-08-05
Pasadena, TX
reply to exocet_cm
This has nothing to do with having ample suspicion, or training, or anything having to do with procedure, law, or reasonable cause. This is simply about human perceptions. Put 10 people on a line and run a black and red car around the track at the same speed, and 7 of 10 people will tell you the red car was faster. Its just a tendency we have.

It doesn't seem incredible to me that this sort of perceptual bias would seep into a law enforcement job. Doesn't seem incredible to me at all.

wig
--
Please keep your f---ing religion to yourself.

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Subaru
When my son was in his Senior year in High School, we bought him a brand new red '90 Mustang. He never once got a ticket.
Since he was the top student in AutoShop, he decided to paint it Big Bird yellow. He got pulled over many times, but not for speeding! The City and State and Sheriff's men were really into that color! They knew who he was and requested that he paint their own cars that color - got paid nicely for it too! It was because yellow wasn't a 'natural color' for cars at that time. Then, about 6 months later, his bosses at one of the local auto dealership started getting requests for Big Bird yellow cars - any make...just as long as it was that color. Apparently these people 'saw' this yellow car around town and thought it looked extremely fascinating! This was my son's car they saw. The people at Ford, GM and other automakers started getting requests for cars in that color...all because of my son! Or I'd like to think so.
He is now 36 and still misses that car (sold it after his 1st son was born).
He never did get a ticket driving that car - and he did speed at times.
--
Lonnie

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I've heard that also... I guess it attracts the eye more since most cars are either silver, black or beige nowadays.

Then again most cars being used for street racing appear to be black or black these days...

Basically the logic is that you're going to attract a cops attention if you're speeding and he needs to pick one car out of many to stop. Just like if I was on my motorcycle, the cop would probably try to stop me since we're "different" and attract attention.

-Tzale
--
Neoconservatives (G.W.B) are not true conservatives. A conservative believes in defending the Constitution. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - RON PAUL & MURRAY SABRIN (NJ GOP FRONT RUNNER for SENATE) 2008

powerage66
Premium
join:2004-01-06
Seminole, FL
reply to Subaru
No. I have had my red Firebird for more than 10 years and I have been pulled over 1 time, on an interstate in Kentucky. Then again, I abide by the rules of the road, don't speed except for 5 miles over the speed limit, I use my turn signals, and all that jazz. My insurance is reasonable, under 65 a month for 9 months. I had a blue Camero years ago, and I got pulled over more in that car than any other.
--
"I'm the lightning bolt in the middle". - Bon Scott
My Tax Blog
My Other Blog

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
reply to Subaru
While I believe Snopes, I have to say that I have only had 2 tickets in my 40+ years of driving and both were for speed in a red Camaro.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Likely has more to do with the character of many (not saying all) who buy red sport/hot cars.

Show off
Fast
Agressive BMOC types.
Lead foots
hot off the line/light

Things like that, who just do things to attract attention, and often illegal (speeding, etc)
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

lhamp
Premium
join:2000-02-20
Stone Mountain, GA
reply to Subaru
I'm saying BS. I have a red (cranberry) Dodge Charger Hemi that hauls ass. Have I abused speed limits. LOL. Have I ever been pulled over because my car is red? Not.
My Son is a cop for Atlanta PD and I ask him about this and he said BS. Red, Black, White, Pink. Makes no difference. You speed the color of your vehichle makes no difference. You will get pulled over. Of course in Atlanta if you drive 105 on 285 nobody pays attention anyway. It's the nature of the beast.

clarue

join:2001-07-04
Georgetown, OH
reply to Subaru
I have a torch red corvette and the police watch me very closely. So I would have to say yes.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Subaru
My last ticket was in a red car... I've done even higher speeds through the same speed traps on multiple occasions in my wife's black Audi A4 and never been caught.

Not proof, but I probably wouldn't tempt fate again in a red car