spc
Search similar:

uniqs
VeLiduS
join:2008-05-03
Coal City, IL

VeLiduS

dd-wrt on linksys wrt54g

Hello, i have a wireless linksys wrt54g v8 router and i updated the firmware to dd-wrt for various reasons. but anyway the flash went fine and i can connect to it and see the dd-wrt setup page and configure everything. i have DSL and cant seem to get the internet going while connect through the router . my labtop as well can connect to the router wirelessly but the inet wont show up. what am i doing wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-01-12
Universe

Mountaineer1

Premium Member

What modem is connected to the router(Brand/Model#)? Does your DSL provider use PPPoE or DHCP? Is the modem itself a combination unit(Modem/Router)?
VeLiduS
Coal City, IL

VeLiduS

i have yahoo sbc dsl . not sure of pppoe dhcp . i set it up on the default router firmware but i dont remember exactly. the modem is a small silver motorola modem that they send out. so the linksys router and motorola modem are seperate not sure of model # . i only see a serial number and modem access code
VeLiduS

VeLiduS

do dsl modems usually do dhcp or pppoe or does it really depend on the company? im trying to think back weather i had to input sbc yahoo info into the pppoe field cause i see u need a host name and such

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

It depends on the ISP - I have a static IP from mine for DSL and if I had a normal ip from them it would be DHCP.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium Member
Universe

Mountaineer1 to VeLiduS

Premium Member

to VeLiduS
Click for full size
Click for full size
You have the Motorola/Netopia model #2210-02 modem. Right now,you are using the modem to connect to the internet,via PPPoE on the modem mode,correct?
VeLiduS
Coal City, IL

VeLiduS

wow thats deff some research there mountaineer . thx so much. it had been over a year since i even had to look at router setting so i forgot what went down . but yea its pppoe settings and i had to call and get my info from the dsl company. i got it all written down now . but thx so much again. deffinately helped me out

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium Member
Universe

Mountaineer1

Premium Member

Click for full size
Well,I was going to suggest setting the router WAN IP address to a Static setup. I personally used this setup,when I had the SpeedStream 5100b modem,and it worked very well. The setting are a little different between the SpeedStream(4100,4100b,5100b) and the Motorola(2210-02),but it works the same way.First,change the default LAN IP address of the router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.X.1(X being any number between 2 to 254). Make sure you change the third octet,and not the fourth.

The router's WAN IP address would be as follows,

IP:192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway IP:192.168.1.254

DNS Servers
VeLiduS
Coal City, IL

VeLiduS

Hey mountaineer its me again =D.

so yea i was using the setting that i finally got to work last time . and yesterday everything was lagging all to heck so i wanted to reset the modem cause it stays on for days on end and i unplugged it plugged it back in and yea lost the i net. couldnt get it working. everything was the same from when i got it working the first time . so i came back here and saw your second suggestion. and it worked and again i just want to thank the heck outa u . i think ill be sticking with these settings now . again thank you for your help =)
VeLiduS

VeLiduS to Mountaineer1

to Mountaineer1
now im wondering something else . whats the differnece between the pppoe setup and this new 'static' setup i use. why does static seem to work better then the pppoe?