uniqs

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg

Premium Member

[vista] wmplayer.exe APPCRASH

Ok, just about had it with the subject item.

By itself, Windows Media player plays nice.

However, I have a couple of NAS that includes TwonkyVision multimedia servers, the NAS units are A NAS200 - NOT recommended, and QNAP TS-209 (fair file server). Both these devices have the latest firmware available to them and both are working fine.

Now, as soon as I activate either one of those devices media server, starting Windows media player always results in the following crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wmplayer.exe
Application Version: 11.0.6001.7000
Application Timestamp: 47919dbe
Fault Module Name: wmp.dll
Fault Module Version: 11.0.6001.7000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791ae5e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000043b8f4
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 6e98
Additional Information 2: f4af13c9edb36e76d33e572d317ebf56
Additional Information 3: afe7
Additional Information 4: 68f6bc20dbf7873247765eec5f8e61e0

I've tried resetting the rights file (heck this is off a brand new vista64 install and no media files or library has been created yet with WMP as I am trying to place all my media files on the servers. All files on the media server(s) were created as MP3 with no licences. (home server, not accessible outside the LAN).

Now, what causes this, and can WMP actually stream fro a network media server? or should I just look for the competition instead?

This is to the point now where I am starting to be frustrated with this so called piece of *(&( and am just about to disable it permanently unless I can get it working.

Thanks.

Vista 64 U, 8GB RAM, latest service Pack and patched.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

Do you have the nVidia Network Access Manager installed?

If so, try uninstalling the nVidia Network Access Manager and see if the problem resolves.

Related previous thread:

»[Vista] Windows Media Player constantly crashing (not even start

mazhurg
Premium Member
Brighton, ON

mazhurg

Premium Member

said by auggy:

Do you have the nVidia Network Access Manager installed?

If so, try uninstalling the nVidia Network Access Manager and see if the problem resolves.

Related previous thread:

»[Vista] Windows Media Player constantly crashing (not even start
No NAM here (Intel based system) : ASUS P5E (X38/Q6600). In any case behavior is similar on my portable (Acer Aspire 5720G/ T5700 /Vista 32).

None of the solutions looked at inthe link (tks) work. I ended up using Winamp 553 with On2shared. This works.

Now, how does one disable WMP in vista?

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

The problem could still be with a third party program or service that loads at startup that affects WMP.

If the same problem occurs on two computers consider identical third party software installed on both computers.

However, if you wish not to use WMP you should be able to set Winamp as your default and "deny access" to WMP here:

Start > Default Programs > Set Program access and computer defaults > Custom > then under "Choose a default media media player" select "Winamp" and then, for "Windows Media Player" un-check "Enable access to this program" > OK

mazhurg
Premium Member
Brighton, ON

mazhurg

Premium Member

Thanks.