Search similar:

uniqs

cdysthe
join:2008-02-09
Gloucester, MA

cdysthe

How to access my Motorola DSL modem?

Hi,

I have AT&T Yahoo! DSL. I've got a Motorola 2200-2 modem hooked up to my D-Link DIR 655 router. The modem's IP is 192.168.1.254 and my router's ip is 192.168.0.1. AT&T told me to put the modem in bridged mode when connected to my router, but to let the router take care of the PPPoe authentication That's what it's set to now.

However, I am not able to access the modem now going to it's IP address. What would be the simplest way to set up my stuff so I can both access the router and the modem without having to disconnect anything? I am not network expert, so please bear with me. Would it be enough to either set the modem to an IP matching 192.168.0.x (not sure I can change the modem's IP though), or set the router's IP to 192.168.1.x?

The router also have some routing options, so could I route this somehow without having to change IP's? I would also like to add that the connection works great. The only problem is that I can't access the modem's web based set up interface. Since this modem has some good reporting tool AT&T showed me, I would like to be able to connect to it without too much hassle.

Thank you in advance for advice.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

This probably won't help you in the least, but I do it with custom firmware like Tomato and DD-WRT. Because you are using PPPoE, you need to setup the WAN port with an IP and a VLAN and then create a firewall rule.

Sorry I could give you anything you can actually use.
jpg3660
join:2004-04-09
Humble, TX

jpg3660 to cdysthe

to cdysthe
Try 192.168.100.1 That's a pass through to most motorola modems.

cdysthe
Gloucester, MA

cdysthe

After a lot of digging around in these forums I found this FAQ:

»Motolora modem - how to set for bridge mode

This explains that the modem should be set in bridged mode if connected to an external router which is what I do. The AT&T tech talked me through the procedures to set the modem bridged which is good and the way to do it. However, you loose the ability to connect to the modem using DHCP since it's disabled when the modem is bridged. Explained in the forum thread like this:

"If your modem is set to "Bridged Ethernet" mode then the NAT routing and DHCP server is disabled and is not handing out IP addresses and this is why you must reset it or manually assign an IP address to your computer to access the modem at 192.168.1.254. If you have changed from the default mode to bridged mode and have not yet disconnected your computer from the from the modem then you might still be able to access the modem because your computer has not lost it's IP address that was handed out to it when the modem was acting as a DHCP server."

So there's actually no way to connect to the modem at this point without disconnecting from my network and log into the modem with a fixed IP set, or reset it.

My connection works great, so I do not have any other reason to connect to the modem right now than my general curiosity.

Anyway, thank you all for help.
ChiTang
MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA

1 edit

ChiTang to cdysthe

MVM

to cdysthe
You can't cos the modem will be at the WAN side of the router and the PC which wants to access the modem is in the lan side.

Once the modem is set in bridge mode, and the router is setup to authenticate (may it be PPPoE, static or DHCP), why would you want to access the modem anyway? May be once out of a blue moon but when that happens, I wouldn't mind to rehook the cable to acces it.

cdysthe
Gloucester, MA

cdysthe

said by ChiTang:

You can't cos the modem will be at the WAN side of the router and the PC which wants to access the modem is in the lan side.

Once the modem is set in bridge mode, and the router is setup to authenticate (may it be PPPoE, static or DHCP), why would you want to access the modem anyway? May be once out of a blue moon but when that happens, I wouldn't mind to rehook the cable to acces it.
The reason I want to access this modem is that it offers some information about your connection which a lot of other modems don't. The AT&T tech explained that this modem actually offers some useful featuers worth looking at now and then. I would like to be able to access it easily, but understand that I can't as long as it's bridged.

Thank you for your help.
ChiTang
MVM
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang

MVM

I don't know what info you are looking for, it may be the connection speed, conection status etc...

If you do not need routing features from the D-link router. May be you can set the modem as a router and the router as a switch/AP. This way, you can access either one without rehooking. I still can't visualise what info you need from the modem which is that important.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

Click for full size
It's probably not so much important as it is convenient. I do it because I can.

These are the two scripts I use on DD-WRT:

Startup:
ifconfig vlan1:1 169.254.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.252 broadcast 169.254.1.255

Firewall:
iptables -I POSTROUTING -t nat -o vlan1 -d 169.254.0.0/30 -j MASQUERADE

cdysthe
Gloucester, MA

2 edits

cdysthe to ChiTang

to ChiTang
said by ChiTang:

I don't know what info you are looking for, it may be the connection speed, conection status etc...

If you do not need routing features from the D-link router. May be you can set the modem as a router and the router as a switch/AP. This way, you can access either one without rehooking. I still can't visualise what info you need from the modem which is that important.
It's not really that important. However, the AT&T tech told me that this modem offer information about your connection most other don't. He told me how to open and read that information. I was looking at it while he was working on my connection.

From another thread in these forums I found the following:

"Other than the FastAccess Netopia Business Routers the Motorola Netopia 2210-02-1006 is the least crippled and has the most configurable GUI of all of the ADSL2+ Gateways offered to date"

So there are actually things to mess with inside this particular modem (which works very well if I may add).
ChiTang
MVM
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang

MVM

If it is that great, turn off D-link as a router.

cdysthe
Gloucester, MA

cdysthe

I haven't had the modem for very long, so I do not know how great it is. I know that my router is good though (D-Link DIR-655). The modem doesn't have a switch which the D-Link does. I just wanted to be able to see the line diagnotics and information this modem offers. Thank you for your help.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Here's one way to do what you want.
On the modems PPP location page:
The modem's mode needs to be PPP is on the modem

On the modems connection configuration page
Enter your username and password.
Set the connection type to Always attempt to connect
Select the option of Yes use public IP address
Save and Restart the modem to save and use the changes
Here's a faq link it may help: Images of the Motorola 2210 and it's GUI

The router's lan ip 192.168.0.1 is ok leave it be.
You will need to change the internet connection type on the dlink it needs to be dynamic ip

cdysthe
Gloucester, MA

1 edit

cdysthe

said by wayjac:

Here's one way to do what you want.
On the modems PPP location page:
The modem's mode needs to be PPP is on the modem

On the modems connection configuration page
Enter your username and password.
Set the connection type to Always attempt to connect
Select the option of Yes use public IP address
Save and Restart the modem to save and use the changes
Here's a faq link it may help: Images of the Motorola 2210 and it's GUI

The router's lan ip 192.168.0.1 is ok leave it be.
You will need to change the internet connection type on the dlink it needs to be dynamic ip
Thank you! Took me 5 minutes to do and it works like a charm. Now I do not have the modem in bridged mode. I've read that bridged mode is recommended. Why would that matter?

One more thing. The FAQ you point to in your post lists the modem's firmware version. On my router I have to upgrade firmware from time to time. There's no firmware upgrades for the modem I need to be aware of? I'm new to DSL, so I do not know too much about these things yet.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by cdysthe:

I've read that bridged mode is recommended. Why would that matter?
Bridge mode is a option, use what fits your needs. Someone else may need some program that just will not work with this setup bridge mode is a option.
said by cdysthe:

There's no firmware upgrades for the modem I need to be aware of?
I doubt that AT&T/SBC will ever issue a software update for this modem it started shipping in October 2007

I have a request
Can you perform a port scan with the modem set to:
No, use private IP address
and
Yes, use public IP address