share rss forum feed

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
reply to sortofageek

Re: Let's keep all DOCSIS 3.0 Discussion in this thread, please

Does anybody know why Comcast picked MN for these "speed trails"? Or how they go about picking the city that gets upgraded before the rest?

Seems totally random on which city gets it..
--
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYueIC1pjM

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1

I asked my tech that and he wasn't sure either he said it was just handed down by cooperate and they'd been testing for some time before rolling out.

I honestly think because U-Verse is on it's way in the coming months.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

I hardly doubt its because of U-Verse, other cities have that already and there is no 50mbps tier there..Besides, Comcast already competes with U-Verse with the blast! tier, (maybe not on the upload side) but yea..

Honestly though..I just want to get more upload speed, I'm still on 6/384 and what pisses me off the most, Chicago is at 6/1 for the same tier.

Wish I knew a CC tech or something to tell me when/if I'll get 6/1.
--
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYueIC1pjM

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1

said by ztmike:

I hardly doubt its because of U-Verse, other cities have that already and there is no 50mbps tier there..Besides, Comcast already competes with U-Verse with the blast! tier, (maybe not on the upload side) but yea..

Honestly though..I just want to get more upload speed, I'm still on 6/384 and what pisses me off the most, Chicago is at 6/1 for the same tier.

Wish I knew a CC tech or something to tell me when/if I'll get 6/1.
Just remembered what about the Minneapolis WiFi? we have several communities be it further away from MSP that have launched muni projects. But Minneapolis just got done with their wifi maybe Comcast doesn't want to lose out to business?

CodeeCB
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Minneapolis, MN
reply to ztmike

said by ztmike:

Does anybody know why Comcast picked MN for these "speed trails"? Or how they go about picking the city that gets upgraded before the rest?

Seems totally random on which city gets it..
The Twin Cities is a "Product Showcase Market" due to exceptional Node and Network health, along with low trouble call on install and repeat trouble call rates.

Quaoar

join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO
reply to ztmike

It is most likely that the Minneapolis area selected for Docsis3 is a newer residential development, with high quality, 1Ghz, fiber lines, and enough income to pay for Docsis3.

The need for Docsis3 caught Comcast blind-sided. They thought they had seven to ten years, but the user demands accelerated beyond Comcast's self-serving estimates.

Most of Comcast's network is 550Mhz or less, far less than is required for Docsis3 if HDTV is being offered. Comcast needs 1Ghz+ nationally, so the vast majority of their cable system needs to be upgraded at costs of billions dollars.

Comcast can advertise that they have more HDTV content than anyone, but they cannot offer any proof. DirectTV has far more HDTV offerings than Comcast can even begin to present, IMO.

Comcast should sell their cable television system to Direct or Dish or both, and then they MIGHT have enough broadband frequency to offer Docsis3 to their HSI subscribers.

If this were not the case, then all of us would have 50 HDTV channels and Docsis3 at the same price we pay today.

Q

Quaoar

join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO
reply to CodeeCB

You called it: a 1Ghz cable system in the selected area of the Twin Cities selected for deployment of Docsis3. No way is the entire area getting Docsis3.

Showcase is correct. If it were not a showcast for the stock market, there would be a tide of Docsis3 rollouts in Comcast's entire area. This will never happen. Comcast hasn't the ability to raise enough capital for investment in a network-wide 1Ghz cable system.

Q

Anon123

@comcast.net

said by Quaoar:

You called it: a 1Ghz cable system in the selected area of the Twin Cities selected for deployment of Docsis3. No way is the entire area getting Docsis3.

Showcase is correct. If it were not a showcast for the stock market, there would be a tide of Docsis3 rollouts in Comcast's entire area. This will never happen. Comcast hasn't the ability to raise enough capital for investment in a network-wide 1Ghz cable system.

Q
Oh and Minnesota is not a 1GHZ system, they wish they were but that is another story.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to Quaoar

said by Quaoar:

Most of Comcast's network is 550Mhz or less,
Yet more F.U.D.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

1 edit
reply to Quaoar

said by Quaoar:

It is most likely that the Minneapolis area selected for Docsis3 is a newer residential development, with high quality, 1Ghz, fiber lines, and enough income to pay for Docsis3.

The need for Docsis3 caught Comcast blind-sided. They thought they had seven to ten years, but the user demands accelerated beyond Comcast's self-serving estimates.

Most of Comcast's network is 550Mhz or less, far less than is required for Docsis3 if HDTV is being offered. Comcast needs 1Ghz+ nationally, so the vast majority of their cable system needs to be upgraded at costs of billions dollars.

Comcast can advertise that they have more HDTV content than anyone, but they cannot offer any proof. DirectTV has far more HDTV offerings than Comcast can even begin to present, IMO.

Comcast should sell their cable television system to Direct or Dish or both, and then they MIGHT have enough broadband frequency to offer Docsis3 to their HSI subscribers.

If this were not the case, then all of us would have 50 HDTV channels and Docsis3 at the same price we pay today.

Q
This is one of the most uneducated posts Ive read in a while.
Im not here to engage in a useless back and forth but nothing posted is even CLOSE to being accurate...

Way to descredit every post youve ever made...
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"
Expand your moderator at work

CableTool
Premium

2 edits

2 recommendations

Re: Let's keep all DOCSIS 3.0 Discussion in this thread, please

I dont get it?

You do not need 1gHz to offer D3.

There isnt a preselected newly developed residential area with "high quality 1gHz and Fiber lines"

Most of Comcasts network isnt 550mHz.

Im not sure how the need for D3 blind sided Comcast. Isnt Comcast the first to deploy PRE CERTIFICATION D3? D3 isnt even finalized yet and it is being implemented by Comcast. ( Blindsided? REALLY?)

Comcast advertises more HD content because they have more HD content. They can carry 80 HD channels which contain about 10% HD content like Dish.. but they are talking about their HD channels and their HD On Demand. Which is 100% HD Content.

Not to mention all active plant gear rolling into warehouses acorss the country is 1gHz. Which means areas are swapping out their older equipment with 1gHz equipment during maintenance and repairs even BEFORE the need to upgrade all equipment is upon us.
Which means when an area goes to 1gHz sections of plant will already be upgraded which means a spot upgrade as oposed to a full mile for mile upgrade.

--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

2 recommendations

reply to Quaoar

said by Quaoar:

Most of Comcast's network is 550Mhz or less
That's an interesting statement, because they told their investors that 95%+ of their network is 750MHz or greater capacity.

Source: »media.corporate-ir.net/media_fil···anz2.pdf

See slide 10.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

said by espaeth:

said by Quaoar:

Most of Comcast's network is 550Mhz or less
That's an interesting statement, because they told their investors that 95%+ of their network is 750MHz or greater capacity.

Source: »media.corporate-ir.net/media_fil···anz2.pdf

See slide 10.
That's interesting. Can us users verify this in any way? In looking at my modem settings I can see the frequency it's currently operating on. Mine shows 591 for downstream. 332 for Upstream. Above 550 but lower than 750. Not sure if that means anything however. Other parts of the city here could be higher or lower.

CableTool
Premium

They can use whatever frequency they like. Typically its at the high end of the spectrum for downstream, lowest end for upstream.
Its really whatever the local area deems works best for them.

Also some areas have employed a second downstream channel. Sometimes in the 500-600mHz range.
--

joos

join:2008-06-26
Taunton, MA
reply to ztmike

I'm a tech.Where do you live?
In Ma its 6/2 bottom tier .with powerboost its 25/3

joos

Taunton, MA
reply to jbob

that isn't the capacity your looking at.it's just the "channel" frequency it rides on.it should be 33.2 for up stream.all companys have an allocated bandwith of 0-42 upstream and 50-851 downstream.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by joos:

that isn't the capacity your looking at.it's just the "channel" frequency it rides on.it should be 33.2 for up stream.all companys have an allocated bandwith of 0-42 upstream and 50-851 downstream.
Huh ? I can't speak for jbob, but I don't understand that reply ?

And that particular "channel frequency" of which you speak 33.2 is not universal to any given area or all areas...

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

said by EG:

said by joos:

Huh ? I can't speak for jbob, but I don't understand that reply ?
I assume you mean joos, not jbob?

joos

Taunton, MA
reply to EG

i wasn't saying 33.2 is a universal frequency.i said 0-42 is the return path for all companies.and the original question was if that was the capacity of the cable.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit
reply to jbob

said by jbob:

I assume you mean joos, not jbob?
No, I meant you bud. I meant that I can't speak for you, but I, personally, did not understand joos's post, and still do not..