patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to SilverSurfer1

Re: Cable companies need to wake up

said by SilverSurfer1:

said by tc1uscg:

".. Naw.. just day dreaming. Martin doesn't have the balls.
Balls don't have shit to do with it what you are proposing. Someone didn't write the telco errand boy a check to ensure it. Big difference between money and balls.
A gay republican conspiracy?

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
reply to OldGrayWolf

said by OldGrayWolf:

I've monitored my bandwidth usage. I fits in the 250GB per month bandwidth.

However, I can also look at my router logs. The router logs have entries for constant port scans and messenger SPAM from malware infected computers on THEIR network. This is NOT included in the bandwidth measurement I have taken because they just bounce off my router.

If they don't exclude these unsolicited attempts to connect to my computer/network, it will distort the statistics of my bandwidth usage.

This idea is not going to work very well.
Comcast will just NAT and therefore firewall everyone and no more incoming traffic, of any kind. If you want an IP you will have to get business class.

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
reply to S_engineer

said by S_engineer:

said by Skippy25:

As it should cost you more. If you are using that much bandwidth on a regular basis then you need to be paying for it. Plain and simple and now they are spelling out for you.
Maybe they should have spelled it out before. I don't know where you learned the English language from but where I grew up "unlimited" meant without limitations. An invisible cap on an "Unlimited" network constitutes breach of contract.
Comcast doesn't use the word unlimited anywhere, what makes you think it is?

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
reply to bent

said by bent:

But the basement dwellers that go over 250GB/mo are a good chunk of the population of this forum, hence the hew and cry.
Quad HD VR 3D live chat Pr0n FTW.

Why_Knot

@sbcglobal.net
reply to pizz

If Cable companies put a cap on bandwith - and charge the proposed 1.50 per 10GB - then users who use under their proposed 250GB should be allowed to roll-over their unused bandwith for lets say a year. Sort of like the phone companies do. Seems fair to me.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH

Apr 21st to 28th 2008 30.78 GB 10.62 GB 41.40 GB

One week watching hulu and updating Windows and ubuntu.

They can't stop the bandwidth monster. They need to start coming up with a new method. docsis 3 can only do so much for them.

As soon as this becomes official , Im gone , just on principal.

Sell me a pipe don't try and be a controller. Once these HD video services kick off , we really need just pipes. This sounds like comcast is trying to figure out what the future holds. And throttling torrents was the better of the 2 evils. Now they are trying to find fair numbers , but I am voting with my wallet.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to factchecker

said by factchecker :

I read your post and you stated:

You didn't say an entire city... Your "entire area", more likely than not, does not include enough subscribers to be meaningful statistically...
My mistake. I should have said it was the city I live in to be more specific. Thats included over 50,000 accounts. I can't remember the exact number. I think that sampling is more than meaningful.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

The day Martin says that is the day Comcast sues him directly and not the FCC as a whole. He can't make them provide an actual speed due to they use "up to" and actually Cox has caps; nobody tried to tell them they had to provide the full speed they claim "up to".
That's my point. They claim lots of stuff. But so far, they don't seem to be in much a hurry to shut this guy down for "picking" on them. Isn't it known that Martin has a "thing" for CC (or cable in general?). With CC talking about (and in some cases enforcing) caps, is it me or are we paying the same price for "unlimited" HSI use but now, paying the same price, are about to see that become "unlimited access but limited use". Geezz sounds like Verizon just bought them out.

PatCat88.. good one

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to BosstonesOwn

said by BosstonesOwn:

Apr 21st to 28th 2008 30.78 GB 10.62 GB 41.40 GB

One week watching hulu and updating Windows and ubuntu.
41.4 GB per week X 4.3 weeks a month=178 GB a month. That still leaves you 72 GB left. No worries.

As soon as this becomes official , Im gone , just on principal.
And good riddence to you then.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to S_engineer

We can play all day with what the term unlimited means in respect to your connection and the ISP's obligation to you and YOUR obligation to the ISP.

Bottom line is, as been pointed out numerous times already, they do not use the term Unlimited and haven't for quite some time.

You want unlimited bandwidth to download all the crap you want, then pony up the cash and get it or stop the whining.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

Then I guess you would need to pay the extra cost to back it up or find a better and more affordable solution.

I personally would recommend a good backup tape, raid 5 drives, or a mirrored drive setup.
Yeah, I hear ya. I don't use online backups at the moment, with no immediate plans to do so. I have a sufficient local backup setup, similar to what you're suggesting that works fine for me. I just know some less than PC literate people I know prefer to use online backups, in lieu of locally managed storage. For them, as Comcast users, they would have a problem.
--
And so castles made of sand, slip into the sea, eventually.

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

The reason FiOS is being deployed by Verizon is that they needed a plant overhaul to be able to get into the video services distribution business. HSI gains are, again, only a side benefit.
I don't get it. We (Internet subscribers) pay pretty big bills -- a good fraction of any double-play. Are we getting our share of the plant in return?
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
HTTP is the new Bandwidth Hog...

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by funchords:

I don't get it. We (Internet subscribers) pay pretty big bills -- a good fraction of any double-play. Are we getting our share of the plant in return?
Not all services are created equal, even if they use the same amount of capacity on the plant. Video is largely identical downstream replication, and it's a gift that keeps on giving in terms of subscriber revenue *AND* advertising insert revenue. The engineering is less complex, there are no DoS attacks/worms/DMCA complaints/SPAM floods/etc in the video world. The capacity is fixed 24x7, making the infrastructure easy to plan for, and people are accustomed to paying premium rates for content.

Even though video services occupy the overwhelming majority of a cable system, what do you figure the ratio is for service calls on video vs data? My guess would be 1:10 for video:data.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

Good points, all of them.

It's been a breath-taking week -- and it's not over. The Network Neutrality news is snowballing.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to Jeffrey

said by Jeffrey:

Someone else made this point at some other spot in this thread....if 99+% of the customers are below the 250GB cap - by a large margin - then why the need for this to begin with?
Because of shareholder pressure to make more money on the high consumption users?

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

said by Crookshanks:

said by Jeffrey:

Someone else made this point at some other spot in this thread....if 99+% of the customers are below the 250GB cap - by a large margin - then why the need for this to begin with?
Because of shareholder pressure to make more money on the high consumption users?
Possible. In the end though, you'd lose customer. But businesses rarely think that far ahead.
--

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by Jeffrey:

In the end though, you'd lose customer. But businesses rarely think that far ahead.
Some customers are not worth having. They bring in less revenue than it costs to service them.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

1 edit

said by FFH:

said by Jeffrey:

In the end though, you'd lose customer. But businesses rarely think that far ahead.
Some customers are not worth having. They bring in less revenue than it costs to service them.
Oh, that's completely true. I just think if you piss off enough of them, and there is an alternative, another company can take advantage of that situation. Comcast doesn't exactly have glowing reviews over the last year or so, either.

--

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

The costs are in the last mile, always have been.
This held true even for POTS services. Recall how the price of long distance dropped like a stone after the AT&T divestiture while the price of local service has done nothing but increase. AT&T was using long distance revenue to subsidize the last mile and couldn't keep doing that once other players entered the long distance market.

How quickly we forget.