uniqs
share rss forum feed

satellite68

join:2007-04-11
Louisville, KY
reply to ztmike

Re: Not bad at all...

said by ztmike:

I guess you never heard of a "networked home" Or updates/downloads for games. Or system updates/Linux downloads.

If this does in fact take place, I will be switching.
I guess you've never heard of "Business Class Service". Or "SLA's". Or "Contracts". Or "Paying for What you Get".

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

said by satellite68:

said by ztmike:

I guess you never heard of a "networked home" Or updates/downloads for games. Or system updates/Linux downloads.

I guess you've never heard of "Business Class Service". Or "SLA's". Or "Contracts". Or "Paying for What you Get".
Business class service? lol i wouldnt call a home connection any of those things, but if their going to offer the speed and MORE speed why limit it? I see alot of customers leaving comcast, and thats why they never published a cap.
--
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYueIC1pjM

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to satellite68

said by satellite68:

said by ztmike:

A residential user shouldn't need an SLA for home-broadband. You're talking about two different things.

If I had Comcast, and they go this route, I'd switch to a slower DSL service, if available.
--
And so castles made of sand, slip into the sea, eventually.

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

satellite68

Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

reply to ztmike

My point exactly; if you want unlimited downloading, pay for it. Residential connections weren't meant for all the things you describe.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·ViaTalk

said by satellite68:

My point exactly; if you want unlimited downloading, pay for it. Residential connections weren't meant for all the things you describe.
But they are slowly becoming that. The excuse of residential connection isnt really relevant anymore. With Docsis3, and FIOS, it going to bring alot of new stuff. If anything providers should be moving more towards content delivery. Build the network Comcast, or Fios will, or someone else will.
--
“Say no to fear. Don’t let anxiety crush your life. Live life free and unfettered.”

reply to satellite68

said by satellite68:

said by ztmike:

We don't get SLAs or Business Class Service on consumer accounts. You know, an average family of 4, all using the network for various purposes. And we do "pay for what we get" now. Also, the "Contracts" are one side in favor of the ISP, I mean "content" provider ( Comcast, et all)...

Spin, spin, spin...

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by PayforWhat Get :

said by satellite68:

said by ztmike:

We don't get SLAs or Business Class Service on consumer accounts. You know, an average family of 4, all using the network for various purposes. And we do "pay for what we get" now. Also, the "Contracts" are one side in favor of the ISP, I mean "content" provider ( Comcast, et all)...

Spin, spin, spin...
Hey Einstien it doesn't matter if you have 20 computers if you have say 16 Mbps service the MOST you can download at a time is 16 Mbps. It will just be split between all your computers. 16 Mbps doesn't mean each computer can get 16 mbps all at the same time. jeez.

Thatisnotwhat

@charter.com

That is not what PayforWhat said. From what I can tell the poster was commenting on SLAs, contracts, etc... It looks like they're backing up ztmike...

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to satellite68

So downloading a service pack and playing a game is suddenly business class activity? So what is residential? Telnet to a time sharing mainframe? Or "NetPong"?

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

said by patcat88:

So downloading a service pack and playing a game is suddenly business class activity? So what is residential? Telnet to a time sharing mainframe? Or "NetPong"?
Yes, these you can do at "blazing" speeds!
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
HTTP is the new Bandwidth Hog...

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA
reply to patcat88

If it amounts to 1100Kbps, 24/7, I guess so.

satellite68

Louisville, KY
reply to DaveDude

said by DaveDude:

said by satellite68:

But they are slowly becoming that. The excuse of residential connection isnt really relevant anymore. With Docsis3, and FIOS, it going to bring alot of new stuff. If anything providers should be moving more towards content delivery. Build the network Comcast, or Fios will, or someone else will.
So...if you bought a Geo Metro and tried to race the Indy 500, would you expect to win? No??

You are basically expecting your home connection (Geo Metro) to do exactly that - it's just not built for that, nor should it be. If you want Indy 500 performance, pay for it. They'll all have caps soon on home connections (per the American way, if we CAN charge for it, we WILL).

I'm not arguing that it's right; I'm saying that just like in dial up days, you couldn't expect that tiny little straw to handle the ocean, if you wanted a bigger funnel you paid for it.

satellite68

Louisville, KY
reply to patcat88

said by patcat88:

Again, residential just isn't built to handle 24/7 gaming and hosting servers and P2P. There should be another tier specifically for that.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Comcast
·ViaTalk
reply to satellite68

said by satellite68:

said by DaveDude:

said by satellite68:

So...if you bought a Geo Metro and tried to race the Indy 500, would you expect to win? No??

You are basically expecting your home connection (Geo Metro) to do exactly that - it's just not built for that, nor should it be. If you want Indy 500 performance, pay for it. They'll all have caps soon on home connections (per the American way, if we CAN charge for it, we WILL).

I'm not arguing that it's right; I'm saying that just like in dial up days, you couldn't expect that tiny little straw to handle the ocean, if you wanted a bigger funnel you paid for it.
I can understand "Paying for it", but not making a service, which apparently a significant demographic wants, is more silly. If someone needs that much data transfer(which is alot) then create a tier. At the same time, comcasts lack of upstream is what i am willing to pay for, yet it never offered. Doesn't data transfer cost the same no matter what direction its going on a net. Either way Cable will get clobbered if it doesnt wise up to the fact, that there has to be tiers of service.
--
“Say no to fear. Don’t let anxiety crush your life. Live life free and unfettered.”