Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

Tell me more

It seems reasonable, but I'd first want to see
1}An accurate useage meter (including useage history, to see how my usage fits the plan
2} What useage counts against the cap (i.e. Do comcast driven sites and ads "cost" me?)
3} The opportunity to buy a high cap/ flat rate or lower plan for less $(works best where a third party (work) pays your bill)
4} more details

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
said by tshirt:

1}An accurate useage meter (including useage history, to see how my usage fits the plan
2} What useage counts against the cap (i.e. Do comcast driven sites and ads "cost" me?)
3} The opportunity to buy a high cap/ flat rate or lower plan for less $(works best where a third party (work) pays your bill)
4} more details
1) Never happen and if it does, it won't be correct.

2) Everything counts including SPAM, port scans, and their "ads."

3) Higher plan, maybe. Lower usage plan, never.

4) Details will be either hidden in a TOS or never revealed.

reply to tshirt
If they do this, I don't want Spam, updates, or other things that I don't not explicitly choose to be counted in the CAP. That would be just wrong. Also, any DNS redirected crap should NOT count in the total. We get so much PUSHED onto us that the ISPs already get paid for, they better not count that against us.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to moonpuppy
said by moonpuppy:

said by tshirt:

4} more details
1) Never happen and if it does, it won't be correct.

2) Everything counts including SPAM, port scans, and their "ads."

3) Higher plan, maybe. Lower usage plan, never.

4) Details will be either hidden in a TOS or never revealed.
1}If they really want to avoid people calling in all the time to check on usage, then they MUST provide some "offical" (according to them) meter. if it's totally inaccurate, that will generate consumer compliants, charge backs from those that pay by credit cards, and maybe FTC action.
It is in their best interest to provide, and test this.

2} So if you buy a video/music through the fan or their portal (coming soon I'm sure) it wouldn't include a bandwidth adjustment? Seems pretty stupid, to limit your sales, in that way. (They may not be liked by some users, but they aren't stupid, they know how to make money)

3} I'm sure the test will help determine appropriate tiers.
having the base/only plan set that high might garner resentment among low bandwidth users,as they would still be subsidizing those that use right up to the limit each month.

4} NOTHING is hidden in the TOS, you are free to read it at anytime, and discontinue service if you disagree with the terms

You have a very negitive attitude towards a rumored attempt to solve several of Comcast's/users problems
this could (if properly implimented) assure that full speeds are available to all users all the time, force the heavest users to pay for upgrades needed to forfill their usage needs or change to another service.
You're dreaming if you believe CC can or will provide true UNLIMITED service for less.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
said by tshirt:

1}If they really want to avoid people calling in all the time to check on usage, then they MUST provide some "offical" (according to them) meter. if it's totally inaccurate, that will generate consumer compliants, charge backs from those that pay by credit cards, and maybe FTC action.
Comcast will do no such thing nor will they care. Look at how they handled disconnects. The abuse department was impossible to get a hold of and they would never give details on how much you actually used.

said by tshirt:

2} So if you buy a video/music through the fan or their portal (coming soon I'm sure) it wouldn't include a bandwidth adjustment? Seems pretty stupid, to limit your sales, in that way. (They may not be liked by some users, but they aren't stupid, they know how to make money)
No one said Comcast was smart. Actually, limiting your sales to your own portal is what many ISPs tried to do beforehand. Remember Excite@Home? AOL?

said by tshirt:

3} I'm sure the test will help determine appropriate tiers.
having the base/only plan set that high might garner resentment among low bandwidth users,as they would still be subsidizing those that use right up to the limit each month.
Comcast will never sell a lower tier. This cuts into their profits. People have asked for it for years and they still will not do it.

said by tshirt:

4} NOTHING is hidden in the TOS, you are free to read it at anytime, and discontinue service if you disagree with the terms
There is so much legalese in the TOS that reading it is extremely confusing and things are buried in it that lets Comcast do whatever it wants and makes almost anything the user does illegal.

said by tshirt:

You have a very negitive attitude towards a rumored attempt to solve several of Comcast's/users problems
this could (if properly implimented) assure that full speeds are available to all users all the time, force the heavest users to pay for upgrades needed to forfill their usage needs or change to another service.
You're dreaming if you believe CC can or will provide true UNLIMITED service for less.
Now where did I say I believe that Comcast should provide completely unlimited service?

If Verizon can provide service without limits, why can't Comcast since they clam to have the largest network?

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
said by moonpuppy:

Comcast will never sell a lower tier. This cuts into their profits. People have asked for it for years and they still will not do it.
If/when companies end up deploying lower tiers, there's also catches... typically VERY low caps (5 GB/month) and low rates (typically 1.5Mbps or less) and price restrictions that make it not typically worth it (i.e. $30 for 1.5Mbps/5GB cap vs. $45/month for 6Mbps or better and higher caps). These plans typically require extra fees (installation fees), and don't have any bundle benefits.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to moonpuppy
said by moonpuppy:

said by tshirt:

Comcast will do no such thing nor will they care. Look at how they handled disconnects. The abuse department was impossible to get a hold of and they would never give details on how much you actually used.
Lawsuit time. They will provide a meter. Scales at the grocery store are certified by the state. Gas pumps are sealed against tampering. Detailed phone records can be obtained or supeonaed. What would you do if you inserted your credit card into a gas pump and finished pumping the gas and the counter was running after you put back the handle and the clerk said "you are now banned from this station, get off the property or I call the police to arrest you for trespassing"?

Case law guarantees that any "pay per unit" business model must provide accurate units, otherwise its plain and simple fraud and an instant lawsuit win against Comcast. Also its not an accident, since Comcast gains and customers get damaged from inaccurate billing, clear cut win.