join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to satellite68

Re: Not bad at all...

said by satellite68:

My point exactly; if you want unlimited downloading, pay for it. Residential connections weren't meant for all the things you describe.
But they are slowly becoming that. The excuse of residential connection isnt really relevant anymore. With Docsis3, and FIOS, it going to bring alot of new stuff. If anything providers should be moving more towards content delivery. Build the network Comcast, or Fios will, or someone else will.
--
“Say no to fear. Don’t let anxiety crush your life. Live life free and unfettered.”

satellite68

join:2007-04-11
Louisville, KY
said by DaveDude:

said by satellite68:

My point exactly; if you want unlimited downloading, pay for it. Residential connections weren't meant for all the things you describe.
But they are slowly becoming that. The excuse of residential connection isnt really relevant anymore. With Docsis3, and FIOS, it going to bring alot of new stuff. If anything providers should be moving more towards content delivery. Build the network Comcast, or Fios will, or someone else will.
So...if you bought a Geo Metro and tried to race the Indy 500, would you expect to win? No??

You are basically expecting your home connection (Geo Metro) to do exactly that - it's just not built for that, nor should it be. If you want Indy 500 performance, pay for it. They'll all have caps soon on home connections (per the American way, if we CAN charge for it, we WILL).

I'm not arguing that it's right; I'm saying that just like in dial up days, you couldn't expect that tiny little straw to handle the ocean, if you wanted a bigger funnel you paid for it.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by satellite68:

said by DaveDude:

said by satellite68:

So...if you bought a Geo Metro and tried to race the Indy 500, would you expect to win? No??

You are basically expecting your home connection (Geo Metro) to do exactly that - it's just not built for that, nor should it be. If you want Indy 500 performance, pay for it. They'll all have caps soon on home connections (per the American way, if we CAN charge for it, we WILL).

I'm not arguing that it's right; I'm saying that just like in dial up days, you couldn't expect that tiny little straw to handle the ocean, if you wanted a bigger funnel you paid for it.
I can understand "Paying for it", but not making a service, which apparently a significant demographic wants, is more silly. If someone needs that much data transfer(which is alot) then create a tier. At the same time, comcasts lack of upstream is what i am willing to pay for, yet it never offered. Doesn't data transfer cost the same no matter what direction its going on a net. Either way Cable will get clobbered if it doesnt wise up to the fact, that there has to be tiers of service.
--
“Say no to fear. Don’t let anxiety crush your life. Live life free and unfettered.”