Premium Member
join:2004-07-29
Las Cruces, NM
Cisco ASA 5505
Cisco Meraki MX64

IT Guy

Premium Member

[Outlook] Problems Printing in Outlook 2007

Last night I formatted and installed Windows XP Home on a Sony Vaio that originally had Windows Vista Business. All went well with the 'downgrade' and I was able to install Office 2007 Pro, import the data files and perform critical updates/service pack update for Office. Today I try printing a few emails and run into the following error:

"Microsoft Outlook: Unable to save the print settings. Make sure c:\Docs & Settings\User\App Data\Microsoft\Outlook\OutlPrnt exists and can be written to"

So I open up that directory and sure enough, OutlPrnt does not exist, but I do see numerous OutlPrnt0, OutlPrnt1, OutlPrnt2, etc... all the way to OutlPrnt11 which all have a file size of 39Kb. I delete all the extraneous OutlPrnt# files with the exception of the first OutlPrnt0 file.

Now what I did was simply take off the '0' on the end of the first file, thereby reflecting the 'missing' OutlPrnt file. I go to print an email and all is peachy, I try a few more times to be certain, and after 2 or 3 successful prints, OutlPrnt suddenly disappears and I'm back to seeing OutlPrnt0, 1, 2 and so on.

Anyone familiar with this issue? I can always rename the file to the proper name but only get 1-3 successful prints before the file disappears again.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

delete them? see
»www.pcreview.co.uk/forum ··· 6174.php

Cudni

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
Premium Member
Las Cruces, NM

IT Guy

Premium Member

Tried and failed. I have to keep recreating the OutlPrnt file manually and it's only good for 1 print after I do that.
IT Guy

IT Guy

Premium Member

Well, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office 07 and no joy, I keep running into the same problem.. Anyone have any thoughts, anyone at all? Does Bill Gates ever come by these forums and chime in with his technical know-how? He probably uses Thunderbird.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

Does the following MS KB article help any?:

»support.microsoft.com/kb ··· 66/en-us

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
Premium Member
Las Cruces, NM

IT Guy

Premium Member

I came across this article in my search too. I'll give it a try and see if it works.
IT Guy

IT Guy to auggy

Premium Member

to auggy
Ok, well that method did work... Although in a very strange way.

Instead of creating the OutlPrnt.doc file, I simply opened notepad and created the new OutlPrnt.txt (inserting the "X" into the body as mentioned in the article, and obviously removing the file extension).

With Outlook closed, I copied the file into C:\Docs & Settings\User\app data\MS\Outlook and restarted Outlook.

I selected the first message in the inbox and clicked the print icon where I received a totally different error message which I regrettably did not write down, but it basically stated that the file OutlPrnt was corrupt or unreadable and suggested that I restart Outlook and try again, and if that didn't work, delete the OutlPrnt file and once Outlook opened it would recreate the file.

I simply restarted Outlook WITHOUT deleting the OutlPrnt file I had just copied, Outlook seems to have deleted it for me.

Testing:

Step 1.) I printed the first message on the locally attached Lexmark 3400 printer successfully.

Step 2.) I selected a random email and printed to a networked HP OfficeJet K550 and repeated this procedure on a networked HP laserjet 1020. Both were successful.

Step 3.) Being the cynic that I am, I wasn't convinced the problem was fixed, so I shut down then restarted the above steps, all were successful.

Ever weary of Microsoft's evil plot to make you think a problem has been solved when it hasn't, I totally restarted the laptop, opened Outlook and repeated the previous steps. Printing was successful.

Hooray!
IT Guy

IT Guy

Premium Member

Looks like I spoke too soon. All of a sudden it's not printing again. Jeez!