spc
uniqs
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

EPS4 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: T-Mobile

Well, they'd still have EV-DO- which will soon enough be in direct competition with "the new" Clearwire... plus, the article seems to imply that Clearwire will also offer standard wireless voice, though I suppose it could be in partnership with Sprint rather than some sort of VoIP-over-WiMAX, I guess.

This deal does seem to leave Sprint without a future, though...

adisor19
join:2004-10-11

adisor19

Maybe Sprint will wake up and announce a migration to LTE for their cell network ? One can only hope..

Adi

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

Karl Bode

News Guy

EVDO will become irrelevant in the face of WiMax and LTE.

The whole move reeks of desperation, and maybe Sprint's new CEO gave up more than he should have in negotiations out of a need for survival. I need more data on the precise nature of the deal....
ihateskapunk
join:2005-08-28
Lake Zurich, IL

ihateskapunk

this is the best news for the xohm project in 6 months. i believe it desperately needed the outside funding. the biggest factor in my opinion is the ability to use comcast and time warner for backhaul now.

adisor19

adisor19 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

EVDO will become irrelevant in the face of EVDO and LTE.
Not sure i get that part.. did you mean to say EVDO will become irrelevant in the face of WiMAX and LTE ?

Adi

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Yes, thinking faster than my fingers work....

adisor19

adisor19

Well the question still stands then. What will happen with the spectrum currently allocated for their CDMA2000 cellphone network ? Will they migrate it towards LTE ? Or will they just kill the cell business all together and put everything in the WiMAX basket ? Questions.. questions..

If the sprint board has any sense left in it, they should migrate towards LTE when time will come and go with the flow if they actually intend to stay afloat.. IMO

Adi
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

CDMA2000 will get phased out, less and less CDMA2000 phones will be sold, advertising will push joe six pack to LTE phones. 4 years before CDMA shut down new phones will stop being sold. 2 years before shut down no phone activations/registrations, only phones currently on will work, nobody can add new CDMA phones to the network. 1 year before shut down people get the letter saying their phones will stop working and a new handset coupon for 1/2 off with a new contract (if contracts still exist in the industry).

Technologically, less and less spectrum will be allocated to CDMA2000, and basically the whole phase out process will be identical to TDMA phase out by ATT/Cingular/GSM carriers/a couple CDMA carriers.