Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to Karl Bode

Re: My initial thoughts -- BAD PLAN that can easily be made good

said by Karl Bode:

The cap is reasonable.

But I think the argument here might not be whether 250GB per month is reasonable, but whether allowing a U.S. carrier for the first time to charge overage fees opens the door to a future where those caps are constantly trending downwards, while the per GB fees rise upwards.

Honestly, once the door is open I have to believe it's a downward slide....
As opposed to undisclosed (and seemingly arbitrary) caps and disconnection? This choice is the lesser of the two evils.

But that you're worried about it gives me pause.

I am worried about a static cap -- I share your concern that it will retard much-needed growth.

I'm also still thinking about myself -- 6 Mbps/384 Kbps here. With 250 GB being roughly 768 Kbps (constant), I have to wonder what the suckerscustomers in Minneapolis who shell out $150 a month for 50/5 Mbps are thinking right about now!!
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
HTTP is the new Bandwidth Hog...

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 edit
quote:
As opposed to undisclosed (and seemingly arbitrary) caps and disconnection? This choice is the lesser of the two evils.
I'll have to see the final plan before I fully chime in, but a 250GB plan with steep overages (and likely continued throttling of pirated P2P traffic PLUS harsh DMCA enforcement) versus a 600GB plan with forged TCP reset connections that throttle BitTorrent? So far I'd argue it's a push....maybe a slight nod toward the former because there's some honesty involved.

I just think once you give investors the window where overages are an accepted part of the industry, the natural trend will continue to be providing less bandwidth for more money.