Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

Johnny34

Premium Member

[signup] F11 Short Time!

Just for those who aren't planning to join the already - posted larger games, I will host an F11 with 8/24 time limits for those who are interested. Need 9 players.

If posts indicate that more are interested in the SuperCop! variant, we can do that also/instead.

(SuperCop! is a variant in which the Cop, if there is one, cannot be killed by any means. To compensate, Mafia are given 2 targets for night, of which neither, one, or both may be killed, decided by dice rolls).

Players:
Count Zero See Profile
drew See Profile
muzscman See Profile
Paulg See Profile
TheRul See Profile
yock See Profile

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

I'm up for anything Johnny.

/IN

muzscman
Mr. President
Premium Member
join:2002-02-15
Florissant, MO

muzscman to Johnny34

Premium Member

to Johnny34
/in

Paulg
Displaced Yooper
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Neenah, WI

Paulg to Johnny34

Premium Member

to Johnny34
/in with a caveat..

I start a new job on Monday, so I don't have a solid idea of my work hours.. but I'll be online when I can.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

it's in front of a computer 40hrs a week right?

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

yock to Johnny34

Premium Member

to Johnny34
/in

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

oh, someone I haven't played with but know who's good. yay.

now, how about getting Dezbend to come play?

muzscman
Mr. President
Premium Member
Florissant, MO

muzscman to yock

Premium Member

to yock
said by yock:

/in
why don't u take sans's place in the LOST game.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
Miamisburg, OH

yock

Premium Member

said by muzscman:

said by yock:

/in
It looked like you had volunteers for that already, plus I haven't kept track of that game at all and would have to read the thread beginning to end to get caught up.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

only problem is they were both killed.

I think everyone would prefer someone fresh if at all possible.

muzscman
Mr. President
Premium Member
Florissant, MO

muzscman to yock

Premium Member

to yock
said by yock:

said by muzscman:

said by yock:

/in
It looked like you had volunteers for that already, plus I haven't kept track of that game at all and would have to read the thread beginning to end to get caught up.
both volunteers were previous members...one of them killed and his role not revealed, so he would have inside information....

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

LOL - I learned my lesson from the last 2 big games I was in - both times suckered into it, once as a replacement and the other time by Kim who sweet-talked me into playing and then went on a cruise for 10 days...

I think this F11 might turn out to be popular. Not too big, no serial killers, no confusing theme with reversed good and bad guys, mostly open, no ambiguous roles, and with pre-set time limits.

C9 can go to lynch-or-lose on day 2, so that inhibits play to a large extent. F11 doesn't go to LoL until day 3. That gives the Cop 2 investigations.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Johnny34

Premium Member

to Johnny34
/IN

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

Need four more.

We will play the regular F11, no SuperCop.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
join:2007-09-18
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

/in

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

Vote Recorder now supports F11 night actions!

Ready to roll.

Only need 3 more players for Monday start!

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim to Johnny34

MVM,

to Johnny34
said by Johnny34:

LOL - I learned my lesson from the last 2 big games I was in - both times suckered into it, once as a replacement and the other time by Kim who sweet-talked me into playing and then went on a cruise for 10 days...
I can't believe you're not over that one yet

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

said by kim:

said by Johnny34:

I can't believe you're not over that one yet
I was crushed.

Wanna play this F11?

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim

MVM,

I said I was sorry... I even logged in from the Explorer of the Seas. How, oh how can I redeem myself?
don't answer that

Johnny I don't have daily net access anymore. I don't want to jeopardize any games through lack of play.

Now, if I get the new HTC Touch phone that I've been eying then I may be able to.

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

This app is getting better and better - now with countdown timer!!

Need 3 more.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

the the question is, does it have to remain open for that functionality to work?

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

said by drew:

the the question is, does it have to remain open for that functionality to work?
Nope. There are several flags that get stored across program launch to remember program state - e.g. appQuitDuringGame, appQuitBetweenLynchAndDaybreak, rolesHaveBeenGenerated, rosterIsComplete, dayNumber, gameType, and gameOver.

These are stored using Cocoa's userDefaults mechanism when the user quits the app, by calling applicationWillTerminate:. They are saved as XML. When the app launches, the system sends it the awakeFromNib: message where it first checks the boolean appQuitDuringGame. If that is true, it loads all the flags that were saved on the last Quit. If that is false, it loads the default settings for a new game.

So all I do for the countdown timer is save the "endTime", namely the date and time that the deadline is. Then whenever the user relaunches the app while playing, that endTime is reloaded and the clock can be set using the current time and the saved endtime.

When the day ends, the app is in the state betweenLynchAndDaybreak. At that time it sends the "reset:" message to the timer object, which uses the dayNumber variable to load the next time period from a stored array of each day's deadline lengths. This array is generated by calling random.org for every new game based on the limits set by the user.

Example:

New game. 22 hours. App calculates what the calendar date and time is for 22 hours from now. Subtracts the current date/time from that and starts the countdown.

User quits. "appWillTerminate" method saves the calculated end time.

4 hours later, user relaunches app. The awakeFromNib: method loads the saved end time and calls the timer. Even though it is 4 hours later, the countdown time is correct because it is just the current time subtracted from the saved end time.

The timer fires once a second, and calls the method to do this subtraction and update three variables, hours, minutes and seconds. These three are put into a string just like a printf statement would:

timeString = [NSString stringWithFormat: @"%.2d:%.2d:%.2d", hours, minutes, seconds"];

If hours = 23, minutes = 18, and seconds = 1, this produces a string "23:18:01".

This string is bound in the interface to a text field using Cocoa bindings, so that every time this string is changed, the binding automatically updates the text field.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

very cool. It seems like you're bored, especially seeing that write up

However, does it have the ability to put in "22 hours from 10:00AM" ?

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

said by drew:

very cool. It seems like you're bored, especially seeing that write up

However, does it have the ability to put in "22 hours from 10:00AM" ?
Hmmm. No, I didn't think of that requirement. I'll have to modify the time array stuff. It isn't quite working completely yet anyway, so I just hard-code the duration, then it gets stored as seconds.

It's actually simple enough to just put two entry fields on the layout and have the mod put the duration and the start time there. Maybe that would be better anyway - some mods might not want the random durations.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

i work for a software company, and I throw tidbits like that out all the time. invariably, people say "hmmm.. that's a good idea" and then go do it.

if only this could run on a REAL OS!

Just kidding of course.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
Miamisburg, OH

yock

Premium Member

Like Linux?

Er, wasn't I supposed to start that projects months ago? =)

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

Johnny34

Premium Member

said by yock:

Like Linux?

Er, wasn't I supposed to start that projects months ago? =)
Yep.

Of course, this port from AppleScript Studio to Objective-C was supposed to take me 2 days. It wound up taking 6 weeks. Pretty average error for software development, 2100%....

You can try, but you'll never make anything as good as my masterpiece. It's got so many features I can't even list them all!! Operators are standing by ready to take your call.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew to Johnny34

Premium Member

to Johnny34
anyway, Johnny, you need to sign up gomez for gomez's own good.

Also, find someone else

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

said by drew:

anyway, Johnny, you need to sign up gomez for gomez's own good.
Maybe I could write an AI robot to play one role... or have Gomez send in his battle plan ("PLAY SNEAKY") for the whole week. If nobody knew who the robot was, it would be hilarious as they replied to its posts. And if the robot won the game, that would be even better.
Also, find someone else
Find someone else to replace you?

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

No. I thought we needed two more players.