uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ebolla

join:2005-09-28
Dracut, MA
reply to justin

Re: 250gb is generous - overage charges are not

said by justin:

Ultimately throttling is a better solution than getting a huge surprise bill because the customer whose connection is getting eaten by a neighbor leaching off their wifi won't lose financially, and has an incentive to fix up their security.
Well they shouldnt get a surprise bill, the article indicates that in a 12month timeframe you can go over that limit once without being charged. I am sure at that time the person would likely receive a notice warning them. If they choose to ignore the letter and don't think to lock up wireless then I personally wouldn't see an issue with them being charged the fee.

I also dont think the charge should be lowered for overage. If someone is using 300gb a month and only being charged lets say $2/10gb then they will likely not care about the small amount of extra money as compared to $15/10gb.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
a lot of people have trouble remembering what happened in their bills and statements a month ago, let alone 12 months ago..

Ebolla

join:2005-09-28
Dracut, MA
true, but the point was that they should receive a notice and hopefully lock up the security at that time, then they wouldn't have to worry about open wireless being used by others which in turn can potentially cost them overage charges.