spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrJoeJr

@sbcglobal.net

No "Local on the 8s" on Weather Channel

ATT-Uverse does not carry "Local on the 8s" on the Weather Channel. I contacted the Weather Channel to ask if it was possible. Their reply follows:

Thank you for contacting The Weather Channel Interactive.

AT&T U-verse is a wired system, just like cable, except that it uses phone lines to deliver the signal. Currently, AT&T U-verse subscribers will get what amounts to our direct broadcast feed; basically, a series of current
conditions and forecast products for the forty-five largest television markets, as well as regional radar and satellite depictions for the nation.

AT&T U-Verse has the capability to deliver local if they choose to do so. They just have to get IntelliStar computer units. AT&T U-verse has never signed an I-Star agreement with The Weather Channel; therefore their subscribers will not receive a local forecast experience on the eights of the
hour. (The I-STAR or WEATHER STAR computer is the piece of equipment that provides our cable affiliates with a local weather product on the eights of the hour, as well as on the weather strip along the bottom of the screen.)
In the best interest of their subscribers, The Weather Channel would like to see them add these I-STAR units, and we are more than willing to work with them on
it, but the decision is entirely theirs. Our advice would be to contact AT&T U-Verse, who is usually very responsive to their customers, and let them know that you would like to see them provide a local weather experience on the
eights of the hour.

We are always happy to hear from our viewers and hope you will continue to watch The Weather Channel for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Chris Hoitsma
Solutions Center/TWC

dslwanter
It's coming
Premium
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH

That's how it is for DirecTV here too.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2
reply to DrJoeJr

TWC is still in business? I haven't watched them for years now, ever since they started constantly pre-empting "local on the 8s" to run the 29,440th Scary Weather compilation rerun.

Drop five bills on »www.wunderground.com and enjoy ad-free professional weather forecasting and all of the other goodies without all of the fluff. Screw TWC.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

I like the program "When Weather Changed History". They have some great episodes.

dslwanter
It's coming
Premium
Mineral Ridge, OH

I still enjoy TWC regardless what anyone else feels. I will agree with doc on WX underground. I've studied weather over the years and I love that site. You have access to the same weather models that the National Weather Service reads and you can see the many different probabilities of weather. That site also does good with the tropics and potential storm tracks.

They do have some good war stories related to weather on that program, I also find myself watching storm stories. Jimmy Cantore is still my favorite one on there, though you have to study a little weather to understand where he's coming from sometimes.

But back on track it would be nice for them to strike a deal and get local on the 8s to everyone.
--
Need a DJ within 60 miles of Youngstown, OH? Check out my service: »www.thebomb102djservice.com

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

said by dslwanter:

it would be nice for them to strike a deal and get local on the 8s to everyone.
I agree.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to DrJoeJr

A lot of big city has Local weather over the air on a sub channel. Fox in Chicago, IL should put there fox power Doppler on one.

Some of the DirecTV boxes let you hook up a antenna to them to get all of the local channels HD + all SUB.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to DrJoeJr

Perhaps we should contact the local or state franchise authority and inform them of this. Even Verizon came up with a solution to this problem with their Video offering. At&T needs to step up and either buy the intellistars for each video office, or provide a acceptable replacement for it.

cookeys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL
reply to dslwanter

said by dslwanter:

Dish too.

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

3 edits
reply to DrJoeJr

A little OT...

If in Chicago or any FOX network, checkout this site for weather... I think it's pretty good...

---> »www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages···geId=9.1

Edit; Same place but a little bigger radar...
---> »media.myfoxchicago.com/wx/loop/ohare.html

dslwanter
It's coming
Premium
Mineral Ridge, OH

A lot of local stations, on their digital channels, have weather/information feeds. Each station in this market has either 2 or 3 channels. 21-1, 21-2, 27-1, 27-2, 33-1, 33-2, 33-3, 45-1, 45-2 are the local channels in this market. 33-3 is a weather feed. Constantly rotates the forecast for 2 days, extended outlook, current conditions, and radar along with some advertisements. Much like the local on the 8s.

As for the weather channel, even though I enjoy it, if it weren't for things like Storm Stories, When Weather Changed History, etc I don't know that they would even be here. Because with the readability of information today compared to what it was 20 years ago when they first started out, they need something to compete. Much like what ESPN, CNN, Fox News, etc all having special segments and such.
--
Need a DJ within 60 miles of Youngstown, OH? Check out my service: »www.thebomb102djservice.com

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL

1 recommendation

Which is precisely why the 'local on the 8s' is pretty much irrelevant. Especially considering how often they blow it off for other programming.

Maybe they can call themselves the Weather History Channel instead.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

said by RadioDoc:

Which is precisely why the 'local on the 8s' is pretty much irrelevant. Especially considering how often they blow it off for other programming.

Maybe they can call themselves the Weather History Channel instead.
Comcast has gotten updated equipment in some of their headends that allows them to split-screen the Local on the 8s while still showing rerun # 36,182 of "When Weather Changed Diapers", or whatever it's called.

--
»www.otadigitaltv.com

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL

It's still not worth it. I can get online and have all the info I need in the time it takes them to play the intro. Cable is so over.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

dslwanter
It's coming
Premium
Mineral Ridge, OH

1 edit

said by RadioDoc:

Cable is so over.
Not yet. Not until people learn to embrace technology anyway. If people listened McDonald's would be over too.
--

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
reply to cookeys

said by cookeys:

said by dslwanter:

Dish too.
All satellite tv doesn't offer "local weather" on the TWC.

As far as liking the TWC, I find it pretty good, and if I'm away from the tv or something, Then I'll check the weather on the computer.
--
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYueIC1pjM

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to DrJoeJr

Well, for locals, I just put up a cheap antenna, purchase an OTA digital coverter box, and get 2 different 24x7 weather feeds... One from NBC (KNBC 4.2) and one from ABC (KABC 7.3)
--
Canada = Hollywood North

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL
reply to dslwanter

McDonalds, Starbucks, et. al. are starting to feel the pinch. It's only a matter of time...

Cable TV is a has-been technology. Soon it will be as irrelevant as gas lights. You should have seen this year's NAB convention TV floor. The people who produce television know it and are moving on.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

ssj4android
Redefining Reality

join:2002-04-14
Wyoming, MI
reply to DrJoeJr

U-Verse does not carry the digital subchannels?

dslwanter
It's coming
Premium
Mineral Ridge, OH
reply to RadioDoc

said by RadioDoc:

Cable TV is a has-been technology.
The biggest thing people are shooting for are bundle packages. Until DSL can become available everywhere or U-Verse, cable still has a chance. Take for instance this township, Armstrong Cable just implemented fiber optics throughout. Not many of us qualify for DSL. People want the broadband more than anything. I'm starting to find even some older friends and relatives are sick of their dial-up now that the pricing for broadband on both sides are within reason. But it's cheaper for them to have phone, TV, broadband on one bill. That is why cable still competes, where the telco can't.
--

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA
reply to en102

said by en102:

Well, for locals, I just put up a cheap antenna, purchase an OTA digital coverter box, and get 2 different 24x7 weather feeds... One from NBC (KNBC 4.2) and one from ABC (KABC 7.3)
Those are the two weather stations. I think Time Warner Cable here just carries one of them. If you don't have a digital over the air box or newer television, go to »www.dtv2009.gov and apply for your two free $40 coupons. I picked up a $35 Philipps antenna at Walmart just for DTV. I get about 48 stations (including the subchannels) on it. It just takes a bit of repositioning when watching certain channels.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

That's what I did
I got the $49/RCA box using $40 coupons and a Philips MANT510 antenna. Works well here. I've been able to get 36 (including subchannels) in Santa Clarita.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

ssj4android
Redefining Reality

join:2002-04-14
Wyoming, MI
reply to DrJoeJr

Yeah, I don't care about Local on the 8s. Why doesn't U-Verse carry the digital sub-channels? Including the weather channels and the PBS children's station?
One of the reasons we got U-Verse is not needing an antennae anymore.