spc
Search similar:

uniqs
myrc60
join:2008-05-12
Mauldin, SC

myrc60

[HSI] Can Charter block my router?

I am in Greenville, SC and I've been having issues with my HSI connection through Charter more than I think I should. Today my issues started around 4pm when all wireless activity seemed to stop. When I'd direct connect bypassing my router the connection works but no matter switching out adapters and even routers, wireless won't connect to the internet; I can in some instances see other computers on the network and get to the files there. After working for 6 hrs to restore wireless and returning everything to normal settings...everything seems to be working and other than unplugging and switching things out I didn't do anything different than I did yesterday. Since I didn't apparently do anything I started wondering if Charter can. Can they block my router in any way? Anybody know?

americanada
join:2001-12-19
Covina, CA

americanada

Can they? Yes. Any MAC could be denied access to the network.

Would they? No. If they didn't want you to have access de-provisioning the modem would be much easier.
wispalord
join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

wispalord to myrc60

to myrc60
clone the WAN mac address and reboot everything, if they was there not anymore!
myrc60
Mauldin, SC

myrc60

How would I go about cloning the WAN?

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to myrc60

Premium Member

to myrc60
kinda sounds like your router is failing. I have seen many routers that failed in a very similar way to your description. They work for awhile, then suddenly stop. then start working for no reason then stop later again.

borrow a router from a friend or neighbor for testing purposes, or just buy a new one.
myrc60
Mauldin, SC

myrc60

I have my old router which I can switch out if that happens. I was wondering if that wasn't the problem but that router is not that old. Shucks, I wanted to blame Charter!

On another note...many of my neighbors have routers and many of them are set for the same channel. Is that causing conflict?

chwes3
@charter.com

chwes3

Anon

yes, change the channel you are running on, also do you have any other 2.4ghz wireless devices in the same room(phone, game controller, ect.)? these all can cause issues.

volntn
The Volunteer
Premium Member
join:2002-01-05
Cleveland, TN

volntn to myrc60

Premium Member

to myrc60
Same thing happened to my old linksys wireless routers... They just stop working from time to time.. Buying a new one fixed my problems.

Ps1234
@bellsouth.net

Ps1234 to myrc60

Anon

to myrc60
Charter just installed my service at 5 Mbps and all was fine with the modem and my 2wire Wireless router. The Tech told me I could run 10Mbps and so I called in today to have them upgrade me to 10Mbps. After they upgraded me I cannot get 10Mbps unless I connect my XP laptop directly to the Charter modem. If I connect my 2wire or other router to the charter modem I only get between 3 and 6Mbps. I have cloned the MAC address of my XP laptop on the netgear router but still cannot get more than 6Mbps. What is Charter doing to prevent my routers from getting higher throughput??????

Thanks, Ps
ChtrHelp
join:2008-01-15

1 edit

ChtrHelp

PS1234,
Which Brand/Model of router are you using? Also do you know which firmware revision the router is using?
(Information on both of your routers would be helpful, since you stated that you have tried 2 different routers.)

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

2 edits

cork1958 to Ps1234

Premium Member

to Ps1234
said by Ps1234 :

Charter just installed my service at 5 Mbps and all was fine with the modem and my 2wire Wireless router. The Tech told me I could run 10Mbps and so I called in today to have them upgrade me to 10Mbps. After they upgraded me I cannot get 10Mbps unless I connect my XP laptop directly to the Charter modem. If I connect my 2wire or other router to the charter modem I only get between 3 and 6Mbps. I have cloned the MAC address of my XP laptop on the netgear router but still cannot get more than 6Mbps. What is Charter doing to prevent my routers from getting higher throughput??????

Thanks, Ps
Did you wait 10-30 minutes and then re-boot EVERYTHING? Modem first (wait for all lights to work), then router, then computer, in that order.

Usually doesn't take that long but that's what they usually tell you to wait.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Ps1234

MVM

to Ps1234
said by Ps1234 :

What is Charter doing to prevent my routers from getting higher throughput??????
Have you researched your router? There is a web site which compares a wad of routers, by throughput, among other features. Some, ostensibly with 100mpbs WAN ports, can't even keep up with a 10mbps connection.
mworks
join:2006-06-13
Rose Hill, NC

mworks to myrc60

to myrc60
Sounds like a router failure.
Are you using torrents at all ?
They are especially hard on routers and I have 2 routers now in my closet because they would fail with torrent use.

Eventually I ended up just using an old pc as a router and now I get 100% packet throughput and no lag.

bhamrichard
@sbcglobal.net

bhamrichard to Ps1234

Anon

to Ps1234
said by Ps1234 :

I cannot get 10Mbps unless I connect my XP laptop directly to the Charter modem.
This is going to sound stupid but....

Had the same experience when I upgraded from 5meg to 10. Which cable modem do you have? My fix was to upgrade the cable modems. The one I had, I dunno, flaky I guess, but connect directly to it, fine I could get near 10meg speed. Tie in into the network, and it dropped like a rock.

Charter gave me a new Ambit cable modem, and I'm getting nearly 11meg since.