uniqs

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

Need A/C shelf / support bracketry

I have a monster size window unit - perhaps the largest ever made - that I want to install before this summer. I have only one window large enough in the house to install it, and don't feel like running a 240V branch circuit up to the second floor to do so. (As well, my panelboard is full, and I really want it on the first floor.)

On the first floor, I have an existing wall opening for an A/C, with a crappy, barely-functional unit that was in the house when I moved in. (It has an existing 240V, properly sized electrical receptacle that will work.) The exterior wall is brick.

What I want to do is install the window unit here. I will need to enlarge the opening and provide a new shelf / sleeve for the A/C unit. I don't think I can rely on the odd occasion that Home Depot has A/C unit shelves / brackets, as I would like to begin the work now. I also don't want to create something custom. So I have two questions:

- Where can I find (on line?) the proper sleeving / shelf / bracket to handle this beast?

- Any pointers for enlarging the opening through the bricks; making it look good? sealing it?

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx

Premium Member

First place I'd always look for at least to get an idea if they have one (not always the best price but always know if its available firstly) is the manufacturers website. They will usually have all parts etc sold for it if its not retired.

Since you listed non namebrands I couldn't look further, but that would be my first step...

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3
Diamond blade for a nice clean cut, then a brick chisel to clean the inside corners. Caulk interior and exterior.

I think your best bet would be the phone book for the sleeve.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to whizkid3

MVM

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

I also don't want to create something custom.
How about someone else making something custom? Go to a local welding shop and ask them to make you up some right angle brackets out of angle iron with diagonal bracing. Give them the approximate dimensions. Then just bolt it to the existing wall. If you want to get fancier then just paint, have it powder or epoxy coated so it doesn't rust.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3
Maybe something like this?

»www.grainger.com/Grainge ··· eeves%2C

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
Rudimentary drawing of one side of support. I'm much better with napkins.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to whizkid3

Mod

to whizkid3
How much larger do you need to make the opening? There is probably a metal support header at the top. It is probably a piece of 4x4 angle iron. If the increase in size is just a little you may be ok but if there is much difference you will have to replace it. The proper way to enlarge the opening would be to remove the bricks, cut them and then reset them. You may be able to cut with a diamond blade but I doubt you would see a brick mason doing it that way. Personally I think you would create more problems than you solve by trying to cut them in place. That's the nice thing about brick, it's easy to remove and reuse.

You will also have to re-frame the inside wall. It will probably be framed like a window with double studs on the sides and a header above. Studs would be considered load bearing on the outside wall so you shouldn't just cut them. Either go all the way to the bottom plate with the new ones of you could put a support header under the opening and build off of that.

Enlarging an opening like that on the first floor exterior wall is not going to be an easy or quick task. I don't know what your experience level is with framing, masonry, etc but this may be the kind of job where you want to hire a qualified professional.

Going through a framed wall and brick I don't think you will need much to support the AC as you already have about 10" inside to outside. However one thing to look at is the construction of the AC unit as the case may not be designed for that thick of a wall. Take a close look at the sides of the unit and see how much clearance you have to where the louvers start.

As far as sealing, I would use a good quality urethane sealant once the unit has been installed. Make sure when installing the unit that there is a slight pitch so any water hitting the case drains away from the house.

You didn't say anything about the age of the unit. If it isn't almost new I don't think it would be worth the effort. In that case I would look at the mini split systems. Very high efficiency and fairly easy to install with only small hole(s) needed from inside to outside.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

3 edits

KrK to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3
Wouldn't heavy duty shelf bracing (or commercial) do the trick?

Amazon.com FTW....

Something like this would be perfect:

»www.amazon.com/White-Ext ··· &sr=1-12

Holds up to 1000lbs, costs $7

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to cdru

MVM

to cdru
said by cdru:

How about someone else making something custom? Go to a local welding shop...
Thanks, but I can do my own welding, and have a metal shop and free use of it and materials at my disposal. If I have to, I'll go this route. However, buying something will be cheaper.
whizkid3

whizkid3 to robbin

MVM

to robbin
said by robbin:

How much larger do you need to make the opening?
Much.
said by robbin:

There is probably a metal support header at the top. It is probably a piece of 4x4 angle iron.
Probably not, but I can replace it - resize it if necessary.
said by robbin:

The proper way to enlarge the opening would be to remove the bricks, cut them and then reset them. You may be able to cut with a diamond blade but I doubt you would see a brick mason doing it that way. Personally I think you would create more problems than you solve by trying to cut them in place. That's the nice thing about brick, it's easy to remove and reuse.
Thanks - I think I have enough pointers with regards to the bricks. I can remove them as necessary, cut them (I'll rent a saw) and re-install them.
said by robbin:

You will also have to re-frame the inside wall. It will probably be framed like a window with double studs on the sides and a header above. Studs would be considered load bearing on the outside wall so you shouldn't just cut them. Either go all the way to the bottom plate with the new ones of you could put a support header under the opening and build off of that. Enlarging an opening like that on the first floor exterior wall is not going to be an easy or quick task. I don't know what your experience level is with framing, masonry, etc but this may be the kind of job where you want to hire a qualified professional.
I have enough experience with all, except the brick work. I'm sure I can handle all of it, and unfortunately not going to pay a professional. (Its a rental house, and I live in NYC - professionals for this kind of residential work either have less experience and skill than me, or are too expensive.)
said by robbin:

Going through a framed wall and brick I don't think you will need much to support the AC as you already have about 10" inside to outside. However one thing to look at is the construction of the AC unit as the case may not be designed for that thick of a wall.
Its massive. Its the largest window unit I've ever seen. It will certainly not have problems with the depth of the wall (the one there now doesn't). And it will need a major shelf to support it. It is at least 150 lbs, I think.
said by robbin:

You didn't say anything about the age of the unit. If it isn't almost new I don't think it would be worth the effort. In that case I would look at the mini split systems. Very high efficiency and fairly easy to install with only small hole(s) needed from inside to outside.
It is relatively new, in good shape, and working fine. I got it from a family member that had a split system put in. As much as a mini-split system would be nice, I am not buying something for my landlord.

Thanks for your well thought-out comments, robbin.
whizkid3

1 edit

whizkid3 to KrK

MVM

to KrK
said by KrK:

Wouldn't heavy duty shelf bracing (or commercial) do the trick.
Maybe. But I am looking for commercially made A/C shelves. I know they make them. The simple bracket I've seen posted in a few threads here, like in the photo above, is a piece of $40 plus crap. I really don't want to jury-rig something.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

1 edit

dolphins to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

How much larger do you need to make the opening? There is probably a metal support header at the top. It is probably a piece of 4x4 angle iron. If the increase in size is just a little you may be ok but if there is much difference you will have to replace it. The proper way to enlarge the opening would be to remove the bricks, cut them and then reset them.
Real brick will have a keystone or a lintel!
You may be able to cut with a diamond blade but I doubt you would see a brick mason doing it that way. Personally I think you would create more problems than you solve by trying to cut them in place. That's the nice thing about brick, it's easy to remove and reuse.
This coming from someone who clearly has little or no experience in the masonry field.
You will also have to re-frame the inside wall. It will probably be framed like a window with double studs on the sides and a header above. Studs would be considered load bearing on the outside wall so you shouldn't just cut them. Either go all the way to the bottom plate with the new ones of you could put a support header under the opening and build off of that.

Enlarging an opening like that on the first floor exterior wall is not going to be an easy or quick task. I don't know what your experience level is with framing, masonry, etc but this may be the kind of job where you want to hire a qualified professional.

Going through a framed wall and brick I don't think you will need much to support the AC as you already have about 10" inside to outside. However one thing to look at is the construction of the AC unit as the case may not be designed for that thick of a wall. Take a close look at the sides of the unit and see how much clearance you have to where the louvers start.

As far as sealing, I would use a good quality urethane sealant once the unit has been installed. Make sure when installing the unit that there is a slight pitch so any water hitting the case drains away from the house.

Please don't offer advice on subjects you clearly know nothing about! You spit out advice from DYI sites and claim it as your own! Shame on you!

For future reference Are you male or female?

Edit: Spelling

Keith
Why Ask Than?
Premium Member
join:2002-10-28
Fort Erie, ON

Keith to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

I have a monster size window unit - perhaps the largest ever made -
Do you really want to go through all that for a "Monster" sized unit, when it comes time to replace the unit you will have a big hole and a small unit?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

2 recommendations

robbin to dolphins

Mod

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

This coming from someone who clearly has little or no experience in the masonry field.
Actually I have two decades experience in a related masonry field. I stand by my advice even though it differs with yours! As I recall, you have never claimed to be a brick mason, has that changed?
Please don't offer advice on subjects you clearly know nothing about! You spit out advice from DYI sites and claim it as your own! Shame on you!
The advise given is all from personal experience. I have been involved in construction for over 40 years. I have much better things to do with my time than to read DYI sites. If you believe I have stolen from another site, THEN PROVE IT.
For future reference Are you male or female?
This isn't some hook up site and it's none of your business. If you believe that information should be disclosed, kindly take it up with justin See Profile. Because until the rules change I'm robbin See Profile and that's all you need to know.

This entire post of yours did not contain one word which added to any intelligent discussion or advice for whizkid3 See Profile. Please try to stay on-topic and keep your personal attacks to yourself. They do nothing to further the goals of this forum or site.