spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yankale

join:2008-05-13

[HN7000S] Hughesnet error messages 508.2 - 515.2 - 506 - 800.3

I have been having this problem for weeks and have been troubleshooting it as best I could before calling Hughesnet. I have connected each of my 3 laptops to make sure it is not my machine - all get the same accelaration error messages. Today I actually installed my spare (brand new) entire arm on the system - it worked fine for several hours - then the acceleration errors came back. Using Firefox instead of IE gets the same problem. Restarting the HN 7000S brings the connection back to normal - but only for a short time - then I get the errors again. Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

Re: [HN7000S] Hughesnet error messages 508.2 - 515.2 - 506 - 800

The 500 series of standardized HTTP errors are associated with servers, but I've never seen any above 506. They usually signify a problem AT a server, or a server indicating it doesn't understand (or can't perform) the request. So those numbers don't correspond to anything I've ever seen before, ( »www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc···c10.html ) If they're in fact derivative errors, I'm not sure what help you can get here - without posting the actual text of the error message(s).

What software is generating those numbers? Windows? One of your browsers? a download manager? Your Secure Socket thing?

//greg//
--
HN7000S/74cm/1w/ProPlus - G16/1250H/Germantown - NAT 66.82.187.152/Gateway 66.82.25.10/DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AVG+Firewall v7.5

yankale

Hi Greg, I am fairly new to all this, with a superficial knowledge of how the system works and some ignorance in terminology. I have copied all the different messages and have them on a Microsoft Word document. I am not sure I can send a Word doc with this medium but am going to try. If you don't get it, I would much appreciate if I could send it directly to your email. I am 69 years old, retired, and have no interest in abusing anyone's email address.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

I've seen that text before, guess I never paid attention to the numbering system (apparently Hughes-proprietary). Nevertheless, they seem to be sticking with the basic HTTP numbering system - since they all in some manner (Hughes) server related. So like I said, it's either a matter of a temporary issue on their end which typically clears itself - or a problem on your end where the (Hughes) server is unable for whatever reason to comply with with a request (usually from your browser).

If it's a recurring case of the latter, there may in fact be an issue on your end. If the errors are occurring when a particular piece of software is being used, suspect the software. If they are occurring when it's rainy or windy, suspect dish pointing angles. They could be occurring as a result of an overheating modem power supply. They could be occurring as a result of excessive transmission errors. Many Many possibilities, so the basic thing to do now is to figure out if the problem is at Hughes - or on your end.

//greg//
--
HN7000S/74cm/1w/ProPlus - G16/1250H/Germantown - NAT 66.82.187.152/Gateway 66.82.25.10/DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AVG+Firewall v7.5

yankale

Greg, I much appreciate your time and effort in trying to help. I believe the problem is on their end (Hughes). Here is why - I get the same error messages with 3 different laptops, one of which has Vista and the others XP. I get the same errors with IE and Firefox. I replaced the entire arm yesterday with a new one - still getting the same messages. Please note that when I restart the modem I get back online as normal, but for an indetermined period of anywhere from 3-8 hours to 10-20 minutes. Do you think I should call Hughesnet? I also have a spare modem I would like to try, but I have no idea what that requires. Thanks for your help.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

Callem - but don't get your hopes up too high. Save your spare modem as a last resort though. Putting it online requires decommissioning the old one and (re)commissioning the new one. Not a job to be done on a whim.

Have you taken a look at your transmission error percentage? The numbers are under Transmission Info.
1. Add the number of successful transmissions to the number of failed transmissions.
2. Divide the number of failed transmissions with the number you obtained in step (1).
That's your percent of transmission errors. The larger the sample the better. So if you've recently restarted or power cycled the modem, those numbers reset to zero. An acceptable error percentage should be less than 0.003

//greg//
--

TSalt

@direcpc.com
reply to yankale

Yankale, I had been having the same problem, same codes. Mine would start EVERY day around 11am est and last until midnight most times. I just figured I was being throttled. Finally got feed up and called. They said they accessed the HN7000s modem and tweaked it. I have no idea, but the system hasn't run this great in yrs.

Took 5 calls to India to pull it off, but finally got ahold of Bruce. Bruce fixed it.....

yankale

Hey Tsalt, thanks for the info. As it happens, my system is working well since this morning. If it gets sick again I will call them and try to get it fixed as you have done. There must be hundreds of us with this problem - maybe they finally fixed it.