how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Langning
Premium
join:2003-04-28
Marlborough, MA

How many cubic yards does this dump truck hold?

Verizon dug up my street's sidewalk to run the fiber conduit last year and only patched foot-wide trench. This week the subcontractors are back again to repave the sidewalk. I asked the guy for some of the left-over aggregate material and mentioned that I am interested in getting a lot of loam for my front lawn. He offered & I accepted to pay him $210 on this Saturday for 1 truck load of loam (he is personally delivering).

His truck is very similar in size/shape and style to this one. I am wondering how many yards of loam I be getting for my $210.

The area that I need to cover is about 75 feet by 15 feet=1125 sq ft. I like to have 3+ inch high. Do I have enough of loam?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

That truck holds 6-7 yards.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

1 edit
reply to Langning

Looks like a 12' bed, so I would say 5-6 yards. I don't know what a normal price for stuff is out there, but here paying $210 for 5 yards would be considered very high.

6 cubic yards is 162 cubic feet. 162 cubic feet is 648 square feet at 3" deep. That picture looks like more than 648 square feet.

Edit: Fixed my math error

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

I agree that sounds expensive. I got 4 yards of topsoil delivered last year for $117 (including delivery)
Then the other place I was gonna buy 2 yards of mulch from wanter $40 for the mulch and $90 to deliver it to my house 2 miles away. I didn't buy it.

So if he's charging $100 for delivery then it's not bad.

Langning
Premium
Marlborough, MA

The guy was nice enough to agree to dump the loam inside my property in the area of the cable/phone box and the small tree (far end in the picture where the street light post is). I was afraid other people with bigger truck couldn't maneuver the tight area as there are couple of bush trees there I don't want to destroy.

Ken, so 6 yards is equal to 162 cubic ft; how do you arrive 486 sq ft at 3" deep? I plugged your numbers in my calc and I should have 648 sq ft.

I might have to change to 2" depth or get more. The bald spot in the picture was a slop. When I was doing my retaining wall last year, I put all of my rocks and dirts (2 small dump truck loads) there and raised/leveled my front yard about 20". I just want to plant new lawn seed. What is the minimal depth for the loam?

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

You're right it's 648 not 486. It was late and I multiplied by 3 instead of 4.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to Langning

Depends on how big. Are we talking about a small F250, or F350, or something as large as the Cat-797.

seqrets
Premium
join:2001-05-03
Nederland, TX
reply to Langning

Why not ask the person that you talked with to give the you the size of the load/how many yards to expect? If he gives you the run around, then call around and get a better offer.

no_one

@PHNX.QWEST.NET
reply to Langning

Well the main thing should be the quality of the loam. It is money but not that much. Do you have that truck, insurance gas or a CDL. I have the CDL but nothing else.
Personally it is a lawn and I would want to make sure of what I was getting . Either left over best quality loam from a major project which is great or brand new crap straight from the cow.

Langning
Premium
Marlborough, MA
reply to Greg_Z

It is not a small F250/F350 pickup. I have to google Cat-797 and it is much smaller than Cat-797

It is a full-sized truck that resembles the trucks the state highway department use for snow plow on interstate. The guy was sitting in a backhoe with the engine running so talking with him wasn't the easiest thing. I didn't even know his name. All we agreed on is he will show up at my house on Saturday with 1 truck load of loam (no rocks); I pay him $210 in cash.

I think it is a single axle dump truck (but I can't be certain if it is not a double axle one). This truck has to be the biggest single axle dump truck for paving company to do the whole street side walk. So I google "paving truck" and I would say this is very close to the truck.

Loam is generally ~$20/yard + delivery cost (varies to distance) in Boston. So hopefully the guy's truck will hold 6-7 yards or more.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to Langning

The truck pictured is a 5 yard dump. I was a dump truck/triaxle/lowboy(heavy equipment hauler) driver for a few years right out of high school. Helps when you have a family full of Teamsters, Ironworkers and Operating Engineers.

A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet.

1125sqft @ 3" thick= 1125 divided x 4= 281.25 = 281.25 divided by 27= 10.466 cubic yards.

Anyone in the masonry field would have to have this knowledge! I'm curious as to anyone in the this thread who would claim masonry experience but did not know this formula? Especially someone with 2 decades of experience?

Forgot to mention; dark, rich, Top soil goes for $23.00 a yard around here.

--
Prevent Malware

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Langning

said by Langning:

I think it is a single axle dump truck (but I can't be certain if it is not a double axle ne).
Everyone is trying to get so specific as to how much the truck holds and the OP hasn't actually posted a pic of the truck doing the delivery. To the OP -- it makes a big difference as to whether it has one axle or two.

Langning
Premium
Marlborough, MA

I will snap a picture of the truck tomorrow if the guy makes his delivery. Then again I can ask the guy directly how much loam in it.

But if dolphins is correct, the guy is charging me 5 yards x $23 = $115 + $95 for delivery.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

No matter what truck he brings, the original truck you posted (which is missing for some reason?) is a 5 yard dump.

The bed is 8 x 6 x 3 which is 144 cubic feet, divide that by 27 and you get 5.33.
--
Prevent Malware

Langning
Premium
Marlborough, MA

The guy unexpectedly knocked on my door at 6:30PM tonight and it was dark and showering outside. He was driving a different truck than Wednesday's one. Nonetheless, this truck is almost identical to the first picture. And he dumped what amount to 5 yards on the sidewalk next to lamp post. He used the backhoe (which still sit on my cul-de-sac) to push some of loam that landed on the street back up the sidewalk.

I promptly paid him $210 in cash but not too happy in getting just 5 yards of loam for my money. Out of nowhere, the guy said to me that he is coming back to my street tomorrow and he can "think of some ways to spread the loam" for me. I thanked him and will meet him at 8:30AM tomorrow morning.

I had 2 trucks of 5 yards of fills delivered to my house before by a landscape material company. The delivery truck (see below) was noticeably smaller and shorter than the above paving truck. However, the piles on the ground are of about same amount.