jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

[XP Home] Word and Excel slow to open document

If I open Word (1 second) I can open a document (1 second).

If I double-click on a word document on my desktop, or try to open a Word attachment from an email, it takes about a minute. I can open the document from within Word immediately.

When double clicking, it takes a long time for Word to open, and then a long time for it to open the document.

Same thing with Excel.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

2 edits

The first thing that comes to mind is... AntiVirus software. I am fairly certain that most AV software comes to life easily when you double-click a file with certain extensions (e.g., .exe., .doc, and .xls). But, once you have the program itself open, the AntiVirus software may not be designed to pick up when you open a file from within a program. That takes a little more complicated programming.

To prove this, can you completely disable your antivirus software? The other way might be to use FileMon (File Monitor, sysinternals) to observe what is happening during the delay.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

also repair office (Help/Detect and repair). If still problematic you can try and make change to DDE setting

Cudni

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

Thanks. I'll try uninstalling the AV, and if that does not work I'll do and uninstall/reinstall of Office.

How do you make changes to the DDE setting?
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

Well... you can modify the DDE settings under Folder Options | File Types | Advanced.

But, Cudni, I am interested in exactly how you would recommend changing this. DDE is dynamic data exchange. This functionality allows Word to open Excel spreads inside a Word Document. I must assume disabling DDE would prevent this.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

said by R2:

I must assume disabling DDE would prevent this.
Indeed, as in this tweak
»www.radenkovich.com/20/slow-open···-office/

I have noticed the problem with slow opening after installing Office 2007 compatibility pack (using Office 2003). The tweak helped for awhile but after the latest security Office patches the issue resurfaced and I had to repair Office install to rectify.

Cudni
--
"Mercifully, he hit him with the soft end of the pistol."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2008

jaa
Premium

How did you repair the office install - just reinstall office without uninstalling first?

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

1 edit
reply to Cudni

It appears the DDE is also responsible for this: "This will affect windows ability to group similar buttons on taskbar."

jaa - to repair Office, go under Add/Remove Programs and select to "Change" Office. You will be given a Repair option.

Add: Could you show us the DDE line for Open .doc?

hurfy
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA
reply to jaa

Doesn't sound like it is applicable in this case since mine was slow all the time to open excel. I somehow got an invalid path as the default location to open files from. I'll toss that in for anyone that might look tho.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to R2

Uninstall Antivirus software. No change.
Install Windows XP SP3. No change.
Uninstaleld and reinstalled Office 2003. No change.

If I right-click on a .doc and "open with" wordpad, no problem. "Open with" Word has the problem - same as double-clicking.

Excel has the problem. Adobe, notepad, and other problems do not.
--

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

4 edits

downloadExtAssoc.zip 1,503 bytes
1) Any "script scanners" (programs that analyze scripts in files)?
2) Can you download the attached script and run it after entering "doc"? Then copy the "Alt |Prnt Scrn" image of the output here (using Paint).
3) Lastly, do you think you could run FileMon? Ideally, could you filter it to only show what WinWord.exe does? Then turn it to capture, and open a .doc file, then stop the capture. Next export the data to a text (.txt) file and post it here.
»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi···642.aspx

Just trying to figure out what exactly is happening as you open a Word .doc...

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

Here is the DDE entry. I assume it is standard - uninstalling deleted the entry, and it was recreated when I reinstalled Office.
--

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

4 edits

Looks pretty standard -- but my script shows a lot more data that can be helpful in difficult cases. I need to see how programs like Script Sentry modify that. Script Sentry is an example of a program that grabs .doc files first, analyzes them for 'potentially dangerous activity', then -- if it finds none -- hands the program off to Word.

I assume some AntiVirus "suites" do the same thing, but there are also stand alone script scanning programs (such as Script Sentry).
_________

Oh, did you try to disable DDE? To do that, you would want to export the .reg key first.

OK, without seeing your data from my script, I will have to make assusmptions. I have to assume the correct registry key is this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.11

Go to that key and Export it to your Desktop. That way, any changes you make to the Registry in this key and be reversed by simply running that .reg file.

Then disable DDE using the interface you show above.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

1 edit

downloadFilemon.LOG 1,028,143 bytes
Here is the log file from filemon. I got rid of HP Imaging and that made a huge difference. Still seem slow - about 30 seconds to launch a file.

If I turn off DDE, Word starts right away, but then it says an error occurred and it cannot open the file (file not found).
--

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

Thanks. Good job of removing personal info -- I did not even think of that (or is your user name actually Owner?). From that log, only explorer.exe and winword.exe ever "touch" your .doc file. No other program seems to be 'processing' it. So that was no additional help, unfortunately...

The time of that appears to be: 5:08:21 PM -> 5:08:53 PM. This is 32 seconds, or as you said, about 30 seconds.

I was afraid Word might act weird without DDE turned on. It should be possible, but I need to play with the command line to make that work. I tried adding a simple "%1", but it did not work.

How about in Safe Mode? Does it take as long to open?

Max_War

join:2002-11-30
Scarborough, ON
reply to jaa

Had a client with a similar issue...the cause ended up being the Kodak Easyshare Software. I uninstalled it and that fixed the problem. So it is possible another program might be causing your problem.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to jaa

Try This.

Unplug any network cables from your computer and try opening the document. See if it's faster.

giterdone

@midco.net
reply to jaa

I just solved this problem on my PC today.

The DDE function appears to be corrupt. To work around it I did the following:

Go to Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types, scroll down to and select (XLS, XLSx, DOC or DOCx), click Advanced, select Open, click the Edit button. Now uncheck "Use DDE" and then put your cursor on the Application box, arrow all the way to the right and put in "%1" (include the quote marks), If there is a /dde remove it. Then OK your way out. Things should work quickly again.

giterdone

@midco.net
reply to R2

I just solved this problem on my PC today.

The DDE function appears to be corrupt. To work around it I did the following:

Go to Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types, scroll down to and select (XLS, XLSx, DOC or DOCx), click Advanced, select Open, click the Edit button. Now uncheck "Use DDE" and then put your cursor on the Application box, arrow all the way to the right and put in "%1" (include the quote marks), If there is a /dde remove it. Then OK your way out. Things should work quickly again.

Do this for each file type XLS, XLSx, DOC and DOCx.

A full Windows reinstall could correct the DDE problem. Are there other ways to fix DDE in windows?

I suspect the problem sources from Virus Scans while opening word and excel documents.

barryindy

join:2001-05-04
Indianapolis, IN

Glad you got the problem solved. Just one question: Do you have a network printer installed?

I had a similar problem with Office 2007, and found that if you have a network printer set as your default, Office is EXTREMELY slow. I now keep Microsoft XPS Document Writer set as my default printer.

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
reply to giterdone

Thanks. I (briefly) tried to simply add "%1" -- see my last post -- but it did not seem to work (although I agree it should have!). I don't know why DDE would fail (except for an update error), nor do I know a simple way to fix it.

One could probably scan Google for the answer, and at first guess it would probably involve re-registering some DLL's.